New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 08, 2015, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by old_coastie
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler83 View Post
Hey Guys I have a question, looking at either getting the UMX Mustang or the UMX Corsair to play around with FPV, which would be a better platform for this?
Give us a little background... i.e. what is your fixed wing experience level.. And how much time have you had with FPV flight...

What other airframes (fixed or multi-rotor) do you have or have flown...

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2015, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by bergenflier
Aerial Birdwatcher
Joined Jul 2014
402 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys I have a question, looking at either getting the UMX Mustang or the UMX Corsair to play around with FPV, which would be a better platform for this?
They are selling FPV Combos for both of them. You can get them with the whole FPV System, our just the vortex cam.
bergenflier is offline Find More Posts by bergenflier
Old Jul 08, 2015, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by Tyler83
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Dec 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie View Post
Give us a little background... i.e. what is your fixed wing experience level.. And how much time have you had with FPV flight...

What other airframes (fixed or multi-rotor) do you have or have flown...

Mark R.

old_coastie
Been flying fixed wings for about 5 years now, pretty comfortable with flying but I have zero FPV time. I ended up buying the Mustang FPV bundle yesterday for $244, which they said comes with everything I need. (other than the transmitter, which I have a DX8) Here is the link seemed like a smoking deal to me?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...m-p-pkzu2480vs

I had to buy it before last night to use the FREE2015 code and the XTRA10
Tyler83 is online now Find More Posts by Tyler83
Old Jul 08, 2015, 03:51 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Joined Jul 2013
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Been flying fixed wings for about 5 years now, pretty comfortable with flying but I have zero FPV time. I ended up buying the Mustang FPV bundle yesterday for $244, which they said comes with everything I need. (other than the transmitter, which I have a DX8) Here is the link seemed like a smoking deal to me?

You should be good to go with the Mustang... Still havn't bit off on the FPV but it is definitely on my radar... The UMX Mustang does very well even when flown semi-slowly.. You know the drill, wait for a good day i.e. low wind, fly the plane "normal" and then... Well I guess you FPV her.. Curious to know how that goes...

Best of Luck, bet you do fine...

Anybody you could "Buddy Box" with?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
1,033 Posts
Quote:

My advice- get up to a good altitude before slipping on the goggles. Takeoff and climb LOS, then FPV once you're comfortable. Also, you might want to sit down. I fell over my first time!
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Jul 17, 2015, 05:35 AM
Find More Posts by Koschai
Joined Sep 2013
41 Posts
So, in my 2nd year of flying, flown 44" Mustang and Corsair (along with trainers before that), several aircore frames and an FMX 800mm Spitfire plus owned the umx Mustang and Spitfire before servos gave out and flyzones SE5a and Albatros before their engines eventually gave out from use.

My question is that I'd love a new micro to throw in the back of the car and use in the calm air of early evening (now the days are longer) at work before coming home (wasnt planning on fpv just some stress free flying). What would be better:

UMX Mustang, UMX Corsair or take advantage of sales and get the UMX B17
Koschai is offline Find More Posts by Koschai
Old Jul 19, 2015, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by Manfjourde
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Jun 2012
60 Posts
I started on a sim and my first plane a Sport Cub BNF and I've loved it. I'd like a UMX for some smaller parks in the area. Thinking of a Pitts, B17, or PT-17. Any suggestions on those? I like the slow scale flight characteristics of the Cub yet like to do loops and go inverted too.
Manfjourde is online now Find More Posts by Manfjourde
Old Jul 19, 2015, 04:40 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Joined Jul 2013
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfjourde View Post
I started on a sim and my first plane a Sport Cub BNF and I've loved it. I'd like a UMX for some smaller parks in the area. Thinking of a Pitts, B17, or PT-17. Any suggestions on those? I like the slow scale flight characteristics of the Cub yet like to do loops and go inverted too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koschai View Post
So, in my 2nd year of flying, flown 44" Mustang and Corsair (along with trainers before that), several aircore frames and an FMX 800mm Spitfire plus owned the umx Mustang and Spitfire before servos gave out and flyzones SE5a and Albatros before their engines eventually gave out from use.

My question is that I'd love a new micro to throw in the back of the car and use in the calm air of early evening (now the days are longer) at work before coming home (wasnt planning on fpv just some stress free flying). What would be better:

UMX Mustang, UMX Corsair or take advantage of sales and get the UMX B17
I won't get any love from this response, but gonna put it out there anyway... For both of you...

My recommendation... Get the UMX T-28... No it's not sexy, but it is very capable of slow and fast flight, does NOT have AS3X (not against AS3X) so it will teach your thumbs how to react to the wind which your other planes will appreciate in the future... Has a long history on RCGroups... been around for a long time and still hasn't gone on fire sale at HH, which should give you an idea about it's following...

Anyway, just my 2 cents from a pilot who has been where you are at...

Best Regards,

Mark R.

old_coastie
Old Jul 19, 2015, 05:00 PM
Find More Posts by Ian444
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2013
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfjourde View Post
If you like slow scale flight the PT-17 is a winner. It is also lighter than the Sport Cub S so performs well.

I like the T-28 but it doesn't handle wind as good as a Sport Cub S or PT-17, and it flies a bit faster than both so you need more room to fly it.

I've never flown a Pitts or B17 so can't help you with those two.
Ian444 is offline Find More Posts by Ian444
Old Jul 19, 2015, 06:09 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Jun 2012
60 Posts
^ great points - thank you! I really don't like the T-28 look but have definitely considered it with its popularity.

My field is shrinking with the building of a new elementary school being built so I would like something that will fly better in a small area than the Cub.
Last edited by Manfjourde; Jul 19, 2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
1,033 Posts
The T-28 is gr8 m8 I r8 8/8 no deb8 it's a plane you'll appreci8.

I couldn't resist... In all seriousness the T-28 is ideal for slow, around the yard flying.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Jul 24, 2015, 08:33 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Jun 2012
60 Posts
Okay I've narrowed it. A PT-17 along with a micro T-28. This should be good to get me started in micros

Also does anyone have a link to some good HK batteries that will fit and lead that will work to charge a lot of them?
Last edited by Manfjourde; Jul 25, 2015 at 12:32 AM.