26,767 Posts
Soon. If you need or want a more specific time it's "early 20##"
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 22, 2015, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by Turner2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,786 Posts
I know many will take offense if I say this the wrong way but at some point in the development of the 7 and 8 a major light bulb went off. A major revelation that sent them off on a different path that guarantied the obsolescence of the 7 and 8. I wonder just what that was.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Jul 22, 2015, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,767 Posts
Innovation from an innovative company.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 22, 2015, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
29,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
I wonder just what that was.
The DX10t.

The feature list would never fit within the constraints of the chip we used for the DX8. The first DX10t prototypes actually had the DX8 chip in them. Shortly afterwards we upgraded to the chip used in the DX6 to DX18 radios.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 22, 2015, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by Turner2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,786 Posts
Well, there you go, a real answer. Thanks.

It makes perfect sense. I wonder why this was not anticipated. I guess being the first air ware radio the possibilities exceeded the imagination of the original idea.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Jul 22, 2015, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
29,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Well, there you go, a real answer. Thanks.
I always give real answers. Unless I give fake answers. But those are obvious - they usually have a smiley attached

Quote:
It makes perfect sense. I wonder why this was not anticipated. I guess being the first air ware radio the possibilities exceeded the imagination of the original idea.
I see it as part of God's plan to have me here. It's not that the requirements weren't "anticipated." We just had to engineer to cost constraints. That's always the case in consumer goods.

When I interviewed here the DX3R was already done, so it made sense to stick with the same tools for the DX8. It was a valid cost-constraining measure in both BOM and NRE costs for a new engineering group with a totally new product.

I happened to have been working with that same micro family for the past couple years, and was intimately familiar with it. Low-level stuff like the bootloader and file system were right up my alley (had already done both on the same family), plus I had done several transmitters in the past.

That resulted in the DX8 you all know and love. (Or maybe I should say DX8 G1, since you seem to think there's a G2 coming, which I can neither confirm nor deny )

There are a number of other very good engineers who contributed to the Spektrum radio family. Most are still here. Two have moved on to starting their own technology companies or working in different parts of the country. I'm just the guy with the bullseye on his back.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor