New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2015, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by John Buffum
Joined Jul 2013
292 Posts
Discussion
Why Don't Tx Mfrs Advertise Their Range?

It would seem transmitter manufacturers would be eager to let the consumer know what the range is. I can see jet RCers and speed RCers wanting to be able to control their 200 mph planes out quite far. I can see Old Timers wanting to get their birds WAY up there, especially if GoPro equipped. This would be vital info.

Yes, Louise, there IS a difference in range. El Cheapo may give you 600 feet, while Mondo Dinero may be capable of 600 yards, or more.

I'm learning on FlySky 4ch. Experiments so far tell me about 400 feet is reliable. I want to move up, but which would keep my hundred hours or more of construction from having a dirt lunch, or ending up in the next county? The ads don't say. I haven't seen articles that discuss it. The old FM Kraft radios could do half a mile. Can these modern XYZ protocol 4.2 gHz units do that? I just don't know.
John Buffum is offline Find More Posts by John Buffum
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2015, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
You will be assimilated
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,972 Posts
I'll take a stab at an answer: Environment matters. RF environment. Humidity. Foliage.

Then there are lawsuits.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 21, 2015, 07:16 PM
Joined Jul 2013
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oneWo1f View Post
I'll take a stab at an answer: Environment matters. RF environment. Humidity. Foliage.

Then there are lawsuits.
>ULP< Lawsuits? I know anyone can sue over anything, but how does that play, here?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,767 Posts
Had to do range test on ground and got 1.2km before I ran out of room and had to stop, in the air this most likely translates to beyond eye sight so I'm happy.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 21, 2015, 07:25 PM
Joined Jul 2013
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Had to do range test on ground and got 1.2km before I ran out of room and had to stop, in the air this most likely translates to beyond eye sight so I'm happy.
Oh, PLEASE, tell me which radio! I can save for anything reasonable.

I'm going to entrust an 84" Taibi Powerhouse with an OS .60 RISE RC to it. That build is a good 200 hours, and at least $200. Egad! Think of the cost of the transparent Monokote! $40 just for the wing.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,767 Posts
We all have models we value and/or that are of high value and range was never on my list of needed functions when looking to buy a new Tx, most system are full range and generally this means beyond eye sight in the U.S / Can.

My brand of choice is Spektrum and has been for many yrs, just recently I performed a full range ground test which manufacturer said should be .6miles or in my case 1km, at 1.2 I still had full control. At that distance I won't be able to safely see my model with the biggest having 72" wingspan.

The Euro version of them has a lower RF transmitting power output, not sure how this equals in range.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 21, 2015, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by mmattock
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buffum View Post
>ULP< Lawsuits? I know anyone can sue over anything, but how does that play, here?
Easy.

1) Advertise your radio has a 1 mile range.

2) Joe Blow buys said radio system and then proceeds to do a crappy install in a less than optimal model (say, lots of carbon in the fuse and doesn't get the antenna whiskers properly oriented). Joe Blow then loses his model (worth thousands of $$$, of course) due to loss of signal at 500 yards.

3) Joe Blow then sues the manufacturer because they assured him he had a 1 mile range.

There are simply too many variables that significantly affect reception range for manufacturers to publish any numbers that they will then be liable for until the end of time.

Mark
mmattock is offline Find More Posts by mmattock
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Powell
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,800 Posts
Quote:
It would seem transmitter manufacturers would be eager to let the consumer know what the range is. I can see jet RCers and speed RCers wanting to be able to control their 200 mph planes out quite far. I can see Old Timers wanting to get their birds WAY up there, especially if GoPro equipped. This would be vital info.

Yes, Louise, there IS a difference in range. El Cheapo may give you 600 feet, while Mondo Dinero may be capable of 600 yards, or more.

I'm learning on FlySky 4ch. Experiments so far tell me about 400 feet is reliable. I want to move up, but which would keep my hundred hours or more of construction from having a dirt lunch, or ending up in the next county? The ads don't say. I haven't seen articles that discuss it. The old FM Kraft radios could do half a mile. Can these modern XYZ protocol 4.2 gHz units do that? I just don't know.
Assuming we are talking about MODEL AIRCRAFT (which is what our hobby is about, and NOT 'Mobile Camera Platforms' (Quads AND GoPro equipped old timers or whatever) which have got NOTHING to do with our hobby, and who's operators should join their local photography club and give them a bad reputation :-

If you cant see it you can't fly it
You want 'First Person View'? Go buy a video game or a full size aircraft.

What does that mean? (It is not as simple as if first appears.)

Let's say that on average the range is about a mile, which is about right. (Humidity, light rain, etc don't make that much difference but obstructions do.)

(1) Normal Flight.
'Just flying around' A mile is about right. Go much higher than about 3/4 mile and you won't see it. If it is Out Of sight (OOS) you will lose it and it will crash eventually, often a long way away. You may or may not find the wreckage. If you are lucky you will and it will be undamaged. I once found one in a small forest by using a mates full size helicopter but you have to be a bit 'obsessive' to bother with such things. It's only a toy plane after all, not life and death.. Putting a label on it with your name, address, and phone number may help. We all used to do that as standard practice.

(2) Low Flight.
The range will be considerable reduced But so will your visibility,So apart from not losing it (1) above applies. Why is your visibility reduced when your eyesight is the same and the weather is the same? Background distractions. Planes are easy to see up in the sky with no real background except the sky itself, which we never really pay any attention to.

(3) Buildings, stands of trees, etc.
You can't see it so you can't fly it. Simple. The fact that the radio signal is zero so won't get to the plane simply doesn't matter, does it?.

So it all boils down to - Don't be a fool and you won't have a problem

Also remember that no one on the planet is in the least bit interested in videos taken from toy planes, quads, etc. Even a murderer trying to escape is only worth watching twice at the very most.
They are even more boring than other people's holiday photos. They are so boring that even the person who takes them won't look at them more than a couple of times. WE don't want to see them at all - an aerial view of where I live is not really that thrilling
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Jul 21, 2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
You will be assimilated
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,972 Posts
Quote:
Oh, PLEASE, tell me which radio! I can save for anything reasonable.

I'm going to entrust an 84" Taibi Powerhouse with an OS .60 RISE RC to it. That build is a good 200 hours, and at least $200. Egad! Think of the cost of the transparent Monokote! $40 just for the wing.
I can't tell if you're trying to be sarcastic. But some of my planes cost more than most of the cars I've owned, and others have planes worth more than my home cost. Some people value 200 hours more than others, too.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Joined Jan 2007
1,590 Posts
Quote:

Do you mean 2.4 Ghz, not 4.2 Ghz?

And, if you're planning on flying models around fires and interfering with full scale airplanes like what was recently on the news in California, you're not going to find any support here. IMHO, it's only a matter of time before some full sized aircraft hits one of those drones. And after that, our hobby will never be the same.

At any rate, 2.4 Ghz is line of sight. If you can't see your model, you don't have control. That means flying behind trees, or anything out side of clean air. Tests have been conducted in the past years with line of sight range on the various radio systems, including Spektrum and Futaba. Both got several miles range. One of the tests conducted was in a Los Angeles residential area from a high hill down to a level street below. Another was with a Spektrum transmitter, with the receiver located in a full scale airplane with GPS.
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old Jul 22, 2015, 01:10 AM
Find More Posts by 4*60
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,940 Posts
Flying behind trees is just fine with FRSKY and Hitec and Spektrum. Our students occasionally like to do that and we somtimes get the model back up and clear. When we don't it's not the radio link. It's the fact that before up elevator had much effect the model hits a tree.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jul 22, 2015, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Powell
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Flying behind trees is just fine with FRSKY and Hitec and Spektrum. Our students occasionally like to do that and we somtimes get the model back up and clear. When we don't it's not the radio link. It's the fact that before up elevator had much effect the model hits a tree.
That depends. Dry trees are usually ok, wet trees sometimes aren't. (you get the same thing with WiFi too.)

As said earlier, flying a plane behind obstructions so you can't see it is nuts. Particularly when it is close to the ground (most trees are not 200 feet or whatever tall) and you DON'T know how close to the tree it is. You haven't got any 'depth perception' as you can't see the plane at all.

(I'm not a 'nannie'. telling you what you musn't do. Do it if you want, but only if you don't value the plane. I've often deliberately flown an electric glider into a fairly high cloud, then dived to come out. I've managed to see it come out every time so far . And it's still high up so I've got time to see it before it hits the ground. That's not true with trees. )
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Jul 22, 2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 02:55 AM
Find More Posts by srnet
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Why Don't Tx Mfrs Advertise Their Range?
Quite simple, local conditions, where the RC TX\RX is being used can have a dramatic effect of the range obtained.

I doubt you know the local noise floor where you were flying, but it can have a significant effect on range, how can manufacturers usefully quote range when they don’t know where you are flying ?

You in fact have just illustrated the problem, you have quoted a range of ‘400’ feet, but given no indication of the type of installation (antenna orientation etc) or where this ‘400’ feet was obtained, low on the ground, high in the sky, lots of trees or buildings around etc.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Jul 22, 2015, 03:19 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,537 Posts
Plus of course range is very dependent on the RX being used. Buy a good quality "1 mile" TX and then use a cheap "compatible" park flier RX, install it with no care and your range is completely shot.

Nothing wrong with the TX, it was always a complete radio system in a particular installation that delivered the range. One weak link and you've squandered all the range that the manufacturer built into the TX .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jul 22, 2015, 03:30 AM
Find More Posts by HarryC
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,765 Posts
Tx range is probably infinity so it's a pointless thing to give. Someone sitting on Pluto with a really good Rx and huge dish antenna could probably pick up a model Tx.
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC