Old Jul 16, 2015, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666yeti666 View Post
ok, thanks , good to hear. Yes, I 've read that you've had really, really a lot of flights on it !
Is there any kind of specific wear of some part(s) ? Any attention to certain things ?

I have also seen that some kits include the new Halo blades, maybe I should wait a while to see how they hold up...

thanks !

Sebastien
You can still get the RotorTech blades that work very well. It's just a stocking problem when you need them. So I always end up buying a few sets at a time. The Rail 106mm blades have been running pretty good on my X7. However, since you directed me to that thread. I have to say, it kind of pissed me off. Because I have been using the Rail tail blades, and so did the person who posted the hub failure. I always noticed a slight vibe and resonance with the Rail blades. But I had been flying them like that thinking it shouldn't be any big deal... Those broken rotor hubs now have me worried and I will probably switch back to RotorTechs again.

I've been told that the Halo and Spin tail blades work good too. However I haven't tried them myself. Not only am I tired of spending money on tail blades that are completely unusable. But I was told that Rail blades worked great too, and that kind of turned out to be possibly inaccurate if the resonance can cause a hub failure. I noticed in that thread that someone said that Duncan Bossion recommends EDGE SE, RotorTech, Halo, or Spin. But no mention of Rail.

As far as wear and tear issues and things like that on the X7. It depends on how you fly. I mean I smack my helicopter around pretty aggressively so things might wear faster than for people who don't. But here is my maintenance schedule, roughly..

oil the motor bearings every 5-10 flights or as often as you can remember. Clean/lube tail rotor shaft, main shaft or any other moving parts that may need it.

Every 100 flights:
Check linkages for wear, replace if necessary (usually not, but check em anyway).

Check front torque tube gear support bearing. Oil or replace if needed. (micro bearing wears out quickly)

Replace the 3 bolts that fasten the balls to the cyclic servo horns. I have had the bolt/ball fail from fatigue at least twice in the past (probably fatigue from hard ele. tic tocs).

If using the old original FBL rotor head (not the Formula rotor) and using the upgrade CNC swash driver forks. They may need replaced from wear every 100-200 flights. The more worn they are, the less precise your rotor will be. Formula rotor head is more precise and less maintenance.

Check that the main blade grip arms are fastened securely! The grip arms are fastened to the grips with a single 4mm bolt with a special sized head. Make sure this bolt isn't loose and use red thread lock on it always. Along with checking the bolt isn't loose on the grip arms. The CNC grip arms their self do get worn out. The aluminum wears away and eventually the bolt cannot tighten them down as good as when they were new. This is because the bolt isn't threaded the whole way to the bolt head and it hits the hole in the grip and stops. But the head isn't clamping the grip arm tightly enough anymore to prevent the arm from slopping around a bit. If you can move the grip arms even a little bit by hand and you know the bolt is tight. Then either the grip arms need to be replaced ($20 for both) or else a washer or something needs to be put under the bolt head so it can take up the space from the worn out aluminum on the grip arm. But I haven't found any that fit that bolt yet. The head is much smaller than the average 4mm bolt head. These grip arms may not need to be replaced every 100 flights. But I would check them when you check everything else. Honestly, just because they are right on top. I'd check them before any flight too. People have reported finding the grip arm bolt coming loose on it's own (which is why i said to use red thread lock). I personally believe the self loosening is a result of the arm being worn out and able to ratchet because of the slop. The arm slopping probably starts to loosen the bolt. But this is just speculation on my part.

Every 200 flights:

Remove motor heat sinks, and pull motor mounting plate/motor out. Inspect pinion, pinion support bearing and clean any plastic dust or mess that may have accumulated inside the CNC pinion housing. Ensure that the motor pinion is still in the proper spot on the shaft length wise. It tends to want to migrate down the motor shaft if it can. Make sure that the motor shaft hasn't worn excessively where it makes contact with the pinion support bearing. You might want to check this stuff earlier than 200 flights on your first build just to make sure nothing is wearing to quickly, especially the motor shaft.

Replace the main gear (whether it needs it or not, it's only $10).

Grease the one way bearing if needed.

Replace the aluminum tail boom (whether it needs it or not, it's only about $7). I tend to fatigue my booms from doing elevator tic tocs. I have had them fail on me twice now right at the frame clamp exiting the frame. This is partially because I use a pin screw through the boom right there. But I know my tic tocing doesn't help. Calmer flying styles can probably go longer than 200 flights. I have my suspicions that the new formula CF tail boom covers might add more support to the aluminum boom than the old support rods did. But I'm not sure so I will continue to spend the $7 every 200 flights to replace the boom. Not worth finding out the hard way that nothing has changed.

Open up tail box and remove tail rotor bearings. Using a needle I remove the rubber seals and repack the bearings with grease using a syringe style applicator.

Every ~500 flights:

Break down the helicopter, clean, oil, inspect. Replace any bearings that need it and look for any wear in mechanical parts. If I'm being honest, I haven't replaced many bearings. I know some of them are a little rough at this point. But I'm still using the stock main shaft bearings, front and rear TT bearings, tail box bearings and grip bearings. I've replaced the OWB and radial bearings a few times. Mostly from crash damage. FYI, you can pick them up for about $30 from rcbearings.com and save yourself about $60 over buying the whole Gaui hub just to get new bearings. Gaui bearings seem to be pretty good. But I also oil them sometimes. So they probably lasted a bit longer.

Over all the X7 seems to be a fairly low maintenance helicopter to me. My X5 is much less maintenance. But the X7 doesn't seem to have a lot of problems if you have the newest Formula equipment. Like I said, the few things I have mentioned that might warrant some attention from the user are not super serious issues and quite honestly people being more gentle with their helicopter may not see anywhere near the wear and tear I see. But I think this outlines what people can expect the weak points to be so they could keep an eye on them. At the end of the day I think each person will need to find their own maintenance schedule according to their own wear and tear.... but the problem is, you don't know when to expect things to fail until you've had them fail, right? Honestly, I used to wonder why RC heli manufacturers didn't ever have a service list with expected services life of parts and suggested maintenance/replacement schedule. But now I realize that it is way to broad a thing to suggest for everyone in general because of how many different people fly different ways from calm to super smack 3D.

Anyway, I hope this somewhat detailed information gives you some idea of what things you might need to keep an eye on with the X7. Let me know if you ever have any questions. I'd be glad to help if I can.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by 666yeti666
Joined Feb 2005
22 Posts
Wow, great answer,
I think this covers all my questions and more. thanks a lot for posting !
I didn't know the parts where that cheap.
I still don't know what to think about the hub breakage, but let's wait and see what (if) Gaui will respond ...

Sebastien
666yeti666 is offline Find More Posts by 666yeti666
Old Jul 20, 2015, 05:19 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666yeti666 View Post
Wow, great answer,
I think this covers all my questions and more. thanks a lot for posting !
I didn't know the parts where that cheap.
I still don't know what to think about the hub breakage, but let's wait and see what (if) Gaui will respond ...

Sebastien
The over all cost of the X7 and the repair cost after a crash is the primary reason I went with it over a Goblin or something. I've seen a lot of goblins eat it hard and need almost a whole replacement kit. The X7's central frames are damn near bullet proof so it's usually just the boom, skids, rotors and blades. I've totally bit the ground at a decent speed doing hurricanes or slammed straight down at full rotor load 2100+ and skated away with little damage, relatively speaking. You can go to my youtube channel and search "X7 crash" and you can see most of my crashes. I've had about 8 or more now, but probably only 5-6 on video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/IntegrityRC/search?query=X7+"crash"+-%2A

I don't think I've ever paid more than $300 for a repair and that is kind of pushing it I think. Nice thing is when you buy stuff, often it's two in a package. So your next crash might seem less expensive, kinda.
Old Today, 08:45 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
8,394 Posts
Just cleared 900 flights on my X7.

Gaui X7 - Flight 900 (3 min 25 sec)