tic
Find More Posts by tic
tic
thunderscreech
United States, MI, Gaylord
Joined Dec 2000
10,973 Posts
FVK Prima 400

I only find one post on the FVK Prima 400, made by kingpost who seems very happy w/ the plane. .. anyone else have any experience w/ this R/E speed 400 thermal ship?.. I need something relaxing
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2002, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
What happened to flying around with your 'pant's on fire', Tic?

There are several good 400 sailplanes out there and I suspect they all fly about the same... 500 to 600 fpm climb, 3 or 4 climbs per charge, nice relaxing thermalling. Just pick one out that has low wing loading (about 7 oz) and enjoy.

Dave
Dave Seay is offline Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Old Jan 21, 2002, 09:34 AM
tic
Find More Posts by tic
tic
thunderscreech
United States, MI, Gaylord
Joined Dec 2000
10,973 Posts
Oh, I DO enjoy the bandit... but hey, my brain isn't always in warp drive.. must be a sign of old age.. LOL
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by tim hooper
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,533 Posts
tic,

First the Bandit, now an S400 glider? There are some horrible parallels emerging here - you know it leads to Zagidom, don't you?

Looking at the Prima on the FVK site;

http://www.fvk.de/Englisch/Prima.html

It seems like a conventional balsa wing. Compare this to the hi-tech glory of models like the Koleus/Highlight or the Little Star. I'd suspect that the low price of this model might reflect in it's performance when compared to the others. I could be wrong, OK?

In the UK the Prima is 80, the Koleus and Little Star are 125, while the FVK Simply the Best is a whopping 170!

Then add the cost of a Hacker brushless.....

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jan 22, 2002, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by tphillips
Hey, I wanna fly too!
United States, TX, Justin
Joined Sep 2001
223 Posts
Hey Tic, from a second-hand point of view, it's a winner. My flying buddy picked one up this summer and has really enjoyed it. It's a good looking plane, built nice (strait) and quick to finish out. And it's taken a fair share of abuse (yea Chris, I know the tree wasn't there a second ago ) and is still in one piece. It's been flown on dd and geared 400s with batteries from 500s to 1700s. I've flown it a couple of times and would give it "two thumbs up".

Terry
tphillips is offline Find More Posts by tphillips
Last edited by tphillips; Jan 22, 2002 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 01:04 AM
Find More Posts by RCAddict
Making Cuisinarts Fly!!!!
Richardson, Texas
Joined Dec 2001
298 Posts
OK. As tphillips mentioned those damn trees just jump out at you. I own the Prima in question. The incident with the tree left me with a customized nose. I had a sp 400 DD with 6x3 folder on a 1600 RS pack. The batteries were low and I was hunting for thermals over some trees. About the same time 15 people come in from two cars/trucks to the picnic area I was flying at. I look over to assess the situation and by the time I look back to the plane I am headed for a tall branch. Not enough power to climb and not enough room to mis it. I tag the limb and it 360's into the ground nose first. Pops the firewall and pushes the prop into the fuse about 1/4 inch on each side.

The Prima stock had a tendency to want to nose up under power. CG was spot on for glide. When I repaired it I added some down and side thrust. It really didn't help.

As far as a mini review, I love this plane. I have had it in the air for over thirty minutes in 20 mph winds ( no thermalling ). This was after I installed the 4:1 gb and 11x8 prop with the 6v sp 400. I got the motor/GB on sale during the hobby lobby x-mas sale.

The wings and fin/stab are built up and the fuse is glass. It is a strong plane for how light it is. I have looped it a couple of times and spun it around on landing with no damage.

Aside from the power on pitch up the bowden cables and servo mounting was a little of a pain but no hill for a climber. I ended up making a hobby ply RX/servo tray for the RC gear. With the gear box I lost my motor cooling slots. I will have to take care of that bit before any more long flights. Other than that, I love this plane.

This one is a floater that you will want to keep for a long time.

I bought mine at www.eam.net. If you get yours from Dave, tell him Chris said, "Hi".
RCAddict is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict
Last edited by RCAddict; Jan 23, 2002 at 01:08 AM.