SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2015, 05:30 AM
Find More Posts by Shifty
UK
Joined Oct 2006
129 Posts
Discussion
Setting throws on combat wing?

I'm no expert but I'm assuming that at some point when increasing the throws you'll get to a point where any more increase does nothing (other than add drag?), so my question is what should I be looking for when doing this? This being a combat wing I want aggressive, fast movements as opposed to smooth flight so probably want my throws on the longer side of things.

This particular wing is a "Flyingwings Storm SL" which I no longer have the manual for, and my TX is a DX6i.

Not sure if it's throw related but this wing seems to axial roll off centre and quite slowly (even in a full dive), how can I speed up and centre the axial roll?
Shifty is offline Find More Posts by Shifty
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2015, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by dawsonh
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
4,029 Posts
To get best performance from a combat wing:

Nail the CG! If you are nose heavy the wing will feel heavy and roll off center. Do a "Dive Test" and change the balance point (CG) accordingly by adding or removing weight to the nose (or TE) of the glider. Test again and adjust as many times as you need to get a nice neutral (or very slight nose heavy) balance/CG.

Roll: Adjust the elevons mechanically so you have substantial Aileron throw (25-30+ degrees each way) and make sure they have equal travel each way. It is hard to have too much aileron throw.

Pitch: If your elevons are producing enough aileron throw, as per above, you will need to tone down the elevator throw to something much less. Most folk will use 100% aileron throw and only 25-35% elevator throw. I try to set the elevator to be able to just stall the wing at moderate speed… or just a bit less. Often wings will need a bit more down elevator than up to do inverted and outside turns/loops.

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Aug 07, 2015, 11:20 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2006
129 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a go.
Old Aug 08, 2015, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by kbstingwing
Slope Nutz, FLY OR DIE
Vista, Ca
Joined Oct 2002
1,190 Posts
you could use this CG calculator to find the best CG for your wing.
just type in the measurement of your wing and the angle of sweep and it will give you the info you need for a good CG.
http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/
kbstingwing is offline Find More Posts by kbstingwing
Old Aug 09, 2015, 01:49 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2006
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbstingwing View Post
you could use this CG calculator to find the best CG for your wing.
just type in the measurement of your wing and the angle of sweep and it will give you the info you need for a good CG.
http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/
Thanks!