http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma1928.html
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Awesome, I've had my eye out for a nice Super Chipmunk. This may be the one, thanks for the link!
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by super kupfer
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,673 Posts
It is my favorite scale prop plane, I still remember my old 60 size Carl Goldberg one I had back in the early 90's, too bad Art died during the making of the movie Top Gun.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,621 Posts
Art bought N1114V from his buddy Skip Volk. They flew back to back loops, which were spectacular. N13Y was his retract modified ship.

Notice all of the cool little parkflyer versions of our old 60 sized classics? Wonder if they know something?
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,673 Posts
I wish Great Planes Giant Super Chipmunk ARF .91-1.08,81" would be re-release, that plane slipped by me and I want one for old time sake.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
Art bought N1114V from his buddy Skip Volk. They flew back to back loops, which were spectacular. N13Y was his retract modified ship.

Notice all of the cool little parkflyer versions of our old 60 sized classics? Wonder if they know something?
Chris...
Its cool that they are coming out with the old retro stuff, some of them were a blast to fly (would be shame if the old designs would all disappear).
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,673 Posts
Showing in stock at tower hobbies.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by KRProton
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,148 Posts
Hope you guys don’t mind me chiming in here….

Been a long time since I’ve flown this Chipmunk. Was just assembling one for NEAT up in New York, so I thought I’d take it out for a couple of quick refresher flights. Using our new 3S 1200mAh 30C ElectriFly LiPo on an 8 x 6 slow-flyer prop, static numbers are 12A, 135W @ 7,700rpm. Airborne, average, in-flight current (“normal” flying, about 70% full-throttle) is about 7A – 8A. About 130mAh per minute for an easy 7+ minute flight time (1200mAh x 80% = 960mAh / 130mAh per minute = 7 minutes, 23 seconds).

The Rimfire 400 (28-30-950) is rated for 14A constant current, 20A surge current, 155W constant Watts, 220W surge Watts, so there’s definitely room to play for more prop.

But flies just as I remember – a little darling that is smooth and zippy, but definitely not overpowered with the 8 x 6. Fantastic speed, but some might want a little more vertical. The unit I assembled (taken directly out of warehouse stock) weighs 21.4 oz RTF with the 1200mAh battery (okay, without pilot and decals – I’ll put those on later).

So I went back out with a couple of fresh batteries and a 9 x 6 prop. Static does 15A, 170W, 6,650rpm. Though 15A is over the motor’s constant current limit of 14A, it won’t draw 15A in the air and that was off the top of a freshly-charged LiPo. In the air much better vertical performance (unlimited?), forward speed about the same, but holds knife-edge (at full-throttle) with the throws specified in the manual. I found I wasn’t using as much throttle either, so even though the maximum current draw at full-throttle is higher, you end up using less (as the following numbers show). Average current draw (again, “normal” flying) was about 7.5A for a current consumption of 125mAh per minute. This should yield flight times of 7-1/2 to 8 minutes on a 1200mAh battery (again; 1200mAh x 80% = 960mAh / 125mAh per minute = 7.7 minutes). But I’d set my timer to 6 minutes for the first few flights until you gather your own data to account for different flying styles, battery variation, whatever.

The 8 x 6 is a good starter prop if you like to fly kind of “lazy,” but if you want to rip it around a bit the 9 x 6 is good.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by Bajora
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
14,134 Posts
Good stuff Tim. Takes me back in time and recalls a lot of fond memories of my original Goldberg Chipmunk. I hope to see and photograph one of these new ”classic” Chipmunks soon. Have fun with it at NEAT.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vintage (?) Walkera Helis
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:00 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,673 Posts
Is it me or does the front part of the battery hatch looks a hair bigger then the fuse (where the red is).
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by voxel
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,986 Posts
What's a better motor than the Rimfire 400 for this plane? About to pull the trigger on getting it but want to buy a motor at the same time.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by carrera0to60
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2005
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
What's a better motor than the Rimfire 400 for this plane? About to pull the trigger on getting it but want to buy a motor at the same time.
Im going to use a Himax HC2812-1080 which is almost the same as the recommended Rimfire. I used it on my Hyperion 10e Chipmunk until I crashed it while doing a low knife edge and touched the wingtip. Oops The Hyperion flew great with it and it was in the 22oz range.
carrera0to60 is offline Find More Posts by carrera0to60
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by Dizzy5
southern Illinois
Joined Jan 2010
540 Posts
Nice looking plane! I wish they offered a bigger size ARF too. I had a 60 size Goldberg Super Chipmunk kit years ago. It was a really great flying airplane!
Dizzy5 is offline Find More Posts by Dizzy5
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by rvlevy7
rvlevy7
United States, NJ, Clinton Township
Joined Sep 2012
210 Posts
Surprise so nice EP super chipmunk as new than my old one 60 size Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk

enjoy your flying
rvlevy7 is offline Find More Posts by rvlevy7
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by Mendo
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Love the Super Chipmunk, and Art could lomcevak it like no other. I am going to be getting one of these to be sure, been looking for a hyperion .10 size one for a while and this should fit the bill. I have fond memories of my EZ Super Chipmunk with a OS .90 4 stroke ( the old school one with the forward glow plug ) from ever so long ago.....

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo