New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2015, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by perick
Joined Jul 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
We have some Pelican aileron wing kits being beta tested and we are making instructions to build the wing. It has been a busy summer and taken longer than I would like but hopefully in the next few weeks it will be for sale on the web site for more wide spread testing. It flies really well and is simple and strong. The ailerons are cut into the back of the wing.
That's great news! I've been wanting to get a Pelican but really wanted one with ailerons.

I have some extra parts from when I ordered my assassins so now they'll find a home
perick is offline Find More Posts by perick
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2015, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
Joined May 2013
449 Posts
Can anyone tell me the spar size and count of the new aileron albatross?
thanks
5 oclock charlie is offline Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
Last edited by 5 oclock charlie; Aug 13, 2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:31 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,917 Posts
The aileron Albatross has 4 x 24" fiberglass super strong spars. They are about 1/8" diameter

The new aileron plane is at the end of this video. This Pelican set up is a night plane with an aileron and poly wing and is all white because the colors will be coming from the LED lights.

Pelican Poly vs Aileron Wings (8 min 5 sec)
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
Joined May 2013
449 Posts
Quote:
The aileron Albatross has 4 x 24" fiberglass super strong spars. They are about 1/8" diameter

The new aileron plane is at the end of this video. This Pelican set up is a night plane with an aileron and poly wing and is all white because the colors will be coming from the LED lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCkhcj87Viw
Thanks Lee- and thanks for the quick ship today. I had ordered about 15 minutes before posting and expected a few days wait.
5 oclock charlie is offline Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
Old Aug 15, 2015, 03:36 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,917 Posts
We are trying to set up a bird conversion kit for the Pelican

This test is looking at the flight characteristics of the tip feathers on a poly and aileron wing.

I did trim the motor up with 2 washers similar to the photos below but only two washers.

Pelican With Tip Feathers (8 min 59 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Aug 15, 2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Reynolds
SBA Staff / Builder
Joined Jul 2015
57 Posts
Lee, have you tried fully laminating the four channel setup? Does it add too much weight? Does it make it too slick in the air?
Matt Reynolds is online now Find More Posts by Matt Reynolds
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2015, 09:24 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,917 Posts
I have make one with laminate. It did add a little weight but still flies well. I used the laminate to protect the LED lights. it adds weight and is not needed with the new wing design. I will get a build video up soon to show you some of the latest ideas.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 01:38 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,917 Posts
LEDs have made night flying easy.

Here is a set of Hobby King lights that are on sale at this time that I used in the following video.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trol_Unit.html

Programmable LED lights on Pelican and Albatross RC planes (3 min 55 sec)
Old Aug 20, 2015, 08:30 AM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,917 Posts
My latest oops that I know of... My wife probably could tell you a few more that I am unaware of.

I have several new planes I have been working on, one of which is a fuselage for my Albatross that has a 3530-1700 KV motor and programmable LED lights that are separate from the programmable lights on the wing.

Saturday we went night flying and I decided to fly the new Albatross fuselage. I forgot I had never tested it. That may sound like a halfheimers moment but I have several new planes I have tested lately so I thought I had flown it before and it was trimmed in.

It was getting dark so my preflight test was only listen to the servos and rev the motor and I let it go. I was flying with the poly wing with LED lights.

The plane climbed out great, so well it took me a few seconds to realize I didn't have any control except throttle. The plane was probably 200 feet high when I finally cut the motor and held my breath to see what would happen.

The Albatross did its thing. It put its nose on the horizon and leveled its wings and floated back down in a gentle spiral and landed itself next to a soccer goal.

Inspection of the plane showed I had never tightened the EZ connectors and they were sliding up and down the push rods and had no effect on the elevator and rudder.

I was lucky the plane didn't blow away in the breeze we had. Too bad the camera wasn't running...
Old Aug 20, 2015, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Robert4613
Is it spring yet?
United States, UT, Vernal
Joined Nov 2014
1,213 Posts
Quote:
LEDs have made night flying easy.

Here is a set of Hobby King lights that are on sale at this time that I used in the following video.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trol_Unit.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGkx9fhpSGc
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
Robert4613 is offline Find More Posts by Robert4613
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:07 AM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,917 Posts
I flew tonight with two programmable sets on one Albatross.

Set number one was in the fuselage.

Set number two in the wing.

I felt like I needed disco music when I got them both flashing. it is nice to have so many possibilities in color with both sets.