HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:28 AM
Aimin at the ground an missing
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
155 Posts
Build Log
Thunder Tiger Japanese "ZERO" Fighter (Rare?)

Here is the Thunder Tiger MITSUBISHI A6M5c ZERO FIGHTER
I picked up this kit at the LHS. It looks to be a beautiful foam plane.
Wingspan 863mm
Brushless motor 2928/09

The funny thing is, after some research, I have found NEXT to NO info online about anyone else who has purchased or built this plane. It's not brand new by any means, and best I can tell, thunder tiger no longer lists it. Anyways, figured I better log my progress for the next guy to pull one of these off a dusty shelf at the hobby shop. And if anyone else has had one, please pipe in.

Here are the only 2 other threads I have found on this model;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post29565890
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800914

And here's mine!
The Jackalope is offline Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Last edited by The Jackalope; Nov 12, 2014 at 06:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:00 AM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
155 Posts
I have allready started the build a couple nights ago, so heres where I'm at so far;

The kit is complete minus electronics. All hardware comes nicely in sealed plastic bags.
The foam comes in 5 pieces, and looks top-notch. They even give you 2-part epoxy right in the kit (the little bottles are a pain in the A** to use, but if that bugs ya, buy yer own). The little Japanese pilot dude is pretty cool too.

The instructions that come with are clear, and have a fluent english translation on all the steps. No issues there! The build has been very easy so far, just epoxying parts together, and carefully trimming some plastics. An experienced builder could probably finish this in a day. I on the other hand, am building in the livingroom, and watching "The Walking Dead" with the wife.
Last edited by The Jackalope; Nov 12, 2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:21 AM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
155 Posts
The canopy trusses are on the decal sheet, in individual lengths. however, there are no instructions as to what goes where. It took me a little while but i figured out where each piece went. probably looks sharper than my paint job would have worked out, so, I'm very happy with it.

Still working on a name for the pilot. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 02:25 AM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
155 Posts
The horizontal stab has a nice metal control horn right in the center, that connects the left and right sides into one, and keeps the control ROD hidden inside the fusalage. This diamond-ish shaped filet was trimmed out of the stab and glued to the fuse, but needed additional trimming to clear the control horn in full up elevator. I'll be aiming for lots of throw I think.

Now this kit doesn't have a working rudder But I want ALL surfaces available to me, so, I'll be cutting it out and making a hinge, and another servo setup. Just trying to figure out how to make the tailwheel steerable at the same time.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:15 PM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
155 Posts
Motor mounted, Cowl on, but the ailerons and 'new rudder' setup haven't been installed yet.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 07:24 AM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
155 Posts
I couldn't decide, for about a week, if I should run the ailerons on a single 9g servo setup as the kit is designed, or to carve out the wings and do a "flaperon" style 2 servo system with 5g servos. I may have even saved weight just by losing the torque rods (10g for the pair). But I settled on the single servo setup just to keep things simple, and mostly to keep that clean look on the wing.

The aileron hinge winds up just being a piece of scotch tape once you've worked a bend into the foam (snaps), but it sure moves freely now.

I had one small issue with the ail-torque rods. they were 4mm too long to line up with the foam indents. So, I re-bent them to shorten them..............and snapped one of them whilst UN-bending it. I had just enough left to put a 4mm bend on it, C.A. an "L" shaped piece of rod onto it, and cover with shrink tube. Still seems strong. flight will be the deciding factor.