HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2014
9 Posts
Help!
Best rechargable glow igniter

Hi guys ,
I'm about to go and purchase a rechargable glow igniter for my four stroke rc plane engine .
What is the best brand / type to get?
Any help would be appreciated, just don't want to waste on junk, and I'm also keeping my cabled igniter from my box , as this is just to use for convenience , but can't do without a spare!
DieselDesigns is offline Find More Posts by DieselDesigns
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:00 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,358 Posts
I prefer the McDaniels rechargeable glow ignitors myself. I have been using them ever since they first came out maybe 25 years ago or longer. I typically get like 5 years or more out of one before it gets to where it doesn't work very long.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:45 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,015 Posts
The LiPo battery ones are the best I have ever used. They have a regulated output (unlike the NiMh ones) and it will give you 1.5V over the plug throughout the whole discharge cycle of the battery.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Oct 29, 2014, 04:16 PM
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Nice thing about the NiMh /NiCd type is the virtual simplicity . They produce plenty of glow power for proper starting but there is absolutely no chance for a component failure to cause a surge that may destroy a glow plug .

I like just about any of the glow drivers that allow you to unscrew an end to change the cells .
Pick one that uses a connector that best suits your needs .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Oct 29, 2014, 06:44 PM
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Sep 2009
44 Posts
Best Glow Driver

The BEST glow driver? Not the cheapest, easiest to put in your pocket, or most popular? The BEST glow driver?

Problem is most people have NEVER owned a GOOD glow driver so they don't have much of a reference.

I have been modeling for over 40 years and have had used many different glow drivers from the low end to the high end. By far the best one I have ever used is the RCats Lithium glow driver. I have used mine in a commercial hobby shop RC Car environment for several years and now use it for my personal uses. Charge it once per season and forget about it. It is the "Go To" glow driver that everyone around grabs when they have a hard to start engine.

It will set you back about $100.00 and it's made in the USA. So do you REALLY want the BEST or just something cheap?
049flyer is online now Find More Posts by 049flyer
Last edited by 049flyer; Oct 29, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:11 PM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
751 Posts
I use this one from Hobbico. I've had it for 3.5 years. It still cycles over it's rated capacity.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXME72&P=ML
kimchiyuk is online now Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:39 PM
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined Jun 2007
26 Posts
RCats
deggleston is offline Find More Posts by deggleston
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:50 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,838 Posts
I have had great luck with, first a 4000 ma Hobbico about 10 years worth and now a Hobbico 4,400. I just connect it to the Super Nova 250 on auto and let it rip, then move it to a Hobbico Multicharger on 100 ma trickle.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Oct 29, 2014, 09:27 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
632 Posts
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...r_1_5V_4A.html
I have used this to make my own cheap rcats version of a glow igniter , u can use a 2cell-4cell lipo and it works fine . I also have a prolux version which has all the electronic components in the head which is a little bulky for side mounted engines. Both work ok and are cost effective and you dont have to charge regularly . Cheers the pope
the pope is online now Find More Posts by the pope
Old Oct 30, 2014, 01:14 PM
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Seems all of the engines I run start very easily . Makes it all the easier to select a glow driver .

BTW , I have owned many different types , including one of the high priced versions mentioned earlier . Same results , clip it on , start the engine .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Oct 30, 2014, 02:34 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I prefer the McDaniels rechargeable glow ignitors myself. I have been using them ever since they first came out maybe 25 years ago or longer. I typically get like 5 years or more out of one before it gets to where it doesn't work very long.
My McDaniels is circa 1980 and STILL using original NiCD in it. Only bit I cannot use is the 110v charger ... so I charge it from my panel as it has a Glow plug like charger connection specially for them.

I also have a cable glow cable as well ... just in case - but usually the McD lasts me all day with back on charger when not flying.

I like to have one so if engine stops on flight-line - I can quickly get her going again and away ... without having to return to field box.

On my field box - I have a domestic water pipe plastic clip that it sits in when not in use.

friend of mine uses the HK one - which takes a standard NiMH AA .... works fine and also can charge of a panel like mine.

At end of day - I reckon they all work ... just don't expect to keep cranking engines all day with one though without recourse to some charge facility.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 30, 2014, 02:40 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee View Post
Seems all of the engines I run start very easily . Makes it all the easier to select a glow driver .

BTW , I have owned many different types , including one of the high priced versions mentioned earlier . Same results , clip it on , start the engine .
Yep - true ...

Me - over 45yrs in RC & C/L .... never needed to spend $100 on a Glow driver !!

The Extra 300 I have - previous guy fitted two banana sockets in fuselage side (red and black) ... I made up matching banana plug lead to run from panel to model. The sockets feed the on-board glow clip and earths via engine mount bolts. Keeps hands away from the prop ... and saves all that fumbling around finding the plug inside the cavernous cowl !

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife