HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:13 PM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
104 Posts
Question
Spektrum 'France' Mode vs. 'US' Mode - Heat Issues?

Trying to track down why my DX5e is glitching.
I don't have time to send this into HH and I need this fixed ASAP.

My transmitter (new DX5e) has been cutting out, but not losing power..the "power on" tones don't play. Last time this happened I noticed a burning smell like insulation or plastic coming from the transmitter.

QUESTION: Does US mode run hotter than France mode?

I'm hoping putting my TX in France mode will keep the heat down and keep it from glitching.

My other experience with this was a used DX6... the previous owner had it set to France mode, but I did not know why. I set it to US mode and it fried dead in one afternoon of flying. So clearly US mode seems to make it run hotter but I need confirmation of this.
Sun Eagle is offline Find More Posts by Sun Eagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:27 PM
I just want to fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,231 Posts
Do you think asking the same question in a different thread would get different answers?
Send it in for repairs if you think you have a problem.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:43 PM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
Do you think asking the same question in a different thread would get different answers?
Send it in for repairs if you think you have a problem.
No, I thought it would get me some smart alex giving me grief while not answering my question, of course.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:43 PM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
104 Posts
Anyone have any real answers to this problem? I honestly don't have the time to send this radio in, this is a time-critical mission and I need this to work now.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:54 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,697 Posts
It's glitching? It smells hot? I'm sure the magic smoke emmsions are right around the corner.

If the radio was designed to run on either mode there is no reason it should heat up drastically in either mode.

Generally what makes transmitters run hot are poorly matched or missing antennae.

Has the antenna lead come disconnected?
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:54 PM
I just want to fly
Joined Oct 2008
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Eagle View Post
Anyone have any real answers to this problem? I honestly don't have the time to send this radio in, this is a time-critical mission and I need this to work now.
The problem with the DX5e is that the power switch is faulty. If you don’t believe the answer I posted Monday is correct then you will not listen to anything.

Look at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je764AvkRlQ
Spektrum DX5e Dropping Connection - Defective Power Switch (1 min 1 sec)

Faulty DX5E (0 min 41 sec)

SPEKTRUM DX5e Fail (1 min 1 sec)
Last edited by Rhea; Nov 06, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:38 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,755 Posts
It's really simple: if you have a transmitter that overheats and emits a burning smell, YOU STOP USING IT AND GET IT FIXED.

About the only things that would produce those symptoms and might be readily fixable are a disconnected antenna or short in the power wires or switch.

Otherwise, it's a trip back to Horizon Hobby. If you are in a big hurry, buy another.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 07, 2013, 02:19 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,289 Posts
Quote:
I don't have time to send this into HH and I need this fixed ASAP.
Unfortunately the perceived urgency of the issue, does not make fixing things any easier.

With a lot of modern electronics it can be very difficult to diagnose the exact cause of a problem and even harder to repair. If someone suggested replacing the microcontroller, would you have the skills and equipment to replace it and re-program it ?

So unless its a common and known fault and easily fixed, the radio really has to go back to the manufacturer or seller for them to look at, they are likely the only people with the equipment and expertise to repair it.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Nov 07, 2013, 10:25 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,805 Posts
The RF decks do not give any amount of heat in any mode. You have a unit that needs to be repaired. Use this link to have it serviced in North America: http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/...service-center

There is also on that link an average time for service which is updated automatically based on the previous month or so.

Since a DX5e is a very low-cost radio and you are under a great time constraint, you may find it faster to purchase a replacement DX5e or DX4e (both are 6 channel radios) from your local retailer. Send in the one needing repair, and you'll have a backup in case this ever happens again.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2013, 01:57 PM
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
104 Posts
Seems I was right - never push cheap components

I've flown about a dozen flights in various locations with my tx in "france" mode and it does not get warm and I have had no glitches.

My theory is that they cheaped the components. What works in ideal conditions.. a 74f factory setting with no direct sunlight, etc.. does not work in the real world conditions of outdoor flight.

So it's "pushing" the unit to put out the full wattage and it heats up and glitches.

It's sad they could not use higher quality components. My old Dx6 seems to have fried for the very same reason...heated up in US mode.

I don't believe there is a "fix" for this..it's clearly cheap components not well thought out for something that is a mission-critical device. It's not a toaster oven, it's the link between you and sometimes 1000's of dollars worth of equipment and it has to work. To cheap the components of such an important piece of technology is really heinous.

But that's just my opinion, you understand.

Oh and for the people that say it's the switch, in this case it is not since there are no power-on tones. When the transmitter glitches, I often would hit the trim to see if it was still on...it was. The delay experienced in flight was far longer than if I had simply turned the TX off and back on again quickly.

Hope this helps. I'll not be buying another Spektrum transmitter anytime soon I'm thinking.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 02:21 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,805 Posts
You can have that opinion, but it is not based on fact.

Our RF modules should never get hot by internal heating, so EU vs US won't make a difference. They fly just fine in the desert sun near Edwards, south Florida, and Australia and NZ. The number of these manufactured is quite a high number, too, so your "fix" is just plain without basis. Not only that, the basic module design is utilized in multiple transmitter types bringing the total far, far higher.

Your radio needs to be repaired. Plain and simple. And you probably could have had it back already if you had just listened to the first advice in the other thread.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,782 Posts
Yeah that's one of the things you have to live with in RC. Instead of investigations like you get in the full size aircraft world, you very often just get people's beliefs and theories that frequently seem far removed from anything you see out at the local flying fields.

My favorite part is that the $60 transmitter is mission critical, and it would be "really heinous" for it to use any allegedly cheap components, but it's simultaneously not important enough to send in for repair or to be backed up by another transmitter.

But whatever you want to do or buy is fine with me!
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 03:16 PM
I just want to fly
Joined Oct 2008
1,231 Posts
Repair it

I thought you would have done the smart thing and sent it in for repair by now. The DX5e I have does have the switch problemas I believe yours does as well. Although I have only used as a buddy-box with my programmable transmitters I have just sent it in for repair to see how long it would take to turn around. BTW you are not paying attention to the symptoms describing the fault: the RF drops out while the indication that power is ON continues.
Im sorry to see that you will not be with us who enjoy the Spektrum family of products. The choice is yours, of course, and I can only say that I have been pleased with my experience with the radios I have had or still own; DX5e (being repaired), DX6i and DX7s.
Better luck to you with whatever radio you go with.

David
Old Nov 10, 2013, 03:55 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,289 Posts
Quote:
I've flown about a dozen flights in various locations with my tx in "france" mode and it does not get warm and I have had no glitches.
Fair enough, maybe as has been suggested your TX is faulty but you dont seem to have considered that at all, so you comments are way out of order.

I am not an RF engineer myself, but its clear even to me that its completely trivial to design a modern TX so that it can very easily cope with the rated power output.

It might come as a surprise to you but the very last thing the manufacturer wants is customer returns, I would guess that if they have a return rate of more than one in a hundread, they dont make any profit.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:17 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,971 Posts
All that the France selection does is :- (a) Set power level to the European Power Limits of 100 mW EIRP and (b) limit the Frequency band to the French regulations.

I would suspect that the power switch may be the culprit as they have a split supply system based on the JR system. One half of the switch supplies the main CPU board and the other half supplies the RF deck.

This allows the CPU board to be powered up by inserting the "Buddy cable" into the set and by leaving the switch off, the set enters the trainer mode. Powering the set up with the cable in, makes the set the "Master"
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56