SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:16 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
First,apologies for the thread hijack, but I think this benefits many of us,c so I didn't want to ask by pm.

I love the idea of having the throttle custom fit, but I have a question / concern. It seems like doing the calibration in this manner, you would lose a substantial amount of resolution. I may be thinking about it wrong, but for example with a rotary servo I always set my endpoints to 150% (Spektrum) and adjust mechanical linkage to suit that range. This way the finest data available is being sent to the receiver.

Of course in practice, even having some less than 1024 steps on the throttle is probably still seamless.
Perhaps you focused on setting the travel to 30% and this sounds very low (and worry that you lose a lot of resolution if that were the final position) but the 30% is just to make sure there is no chance the ESC will see enough signal to arm or respond to low and high throttle. The final travel will end up around 70% - 78% in the end. Also, it doesn't matter if you do this or not as the ESC is looking for a low and high signal and no matter what the stick position actually is, the ESC will be at low and high throttle once it reads the appropriate value. It's in your best interest to do this to ensure the actual low and high endpoints of the throttle stick match what the ESC is expecting for low and high signal, so your stick is truly representative of the actual throttle position and the stick feel is in-line with what is actually happening throttle-wise...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:25 PM
Registered User
coptercptn's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Fixed endpoints is only for ESC's, not when using a servo for a gas engine, and is (IMO), the best way to set up a Castle ESC...

SteveT.
YES very important, w/Castle ESC!!!! Can prevent many issues.
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 06:25 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
1,763 Posts
Any progress?

ZB/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:11 AM
Registered User
Amp Abuser's Avatar
Joined Dec 2007
1,438 Posts
Any flight vids yet?
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:02 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Conehead's Avatar
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
No, Dag had two brief flights, or attempts and he shut it down to keep from damaging his plane.
Now he is up to his neck in work, starting a new company, so he is working just about 24/7. When he gets home, his daughter wants to go dirt bike riding and so he is playing with his daughter and being the husband to his bride of all these years.

He posted an update on the B-36 thread about what was going on, also there may be something in his junk drawer here on RC Groups.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 12:41 PM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
589 Posts
Busy...... Busy...... Busy

Hi DAG:

I know you are extremely busy, I follow the 36 and the 130 updates, love the rear cargo ramp on the 130 by the way. I have not seen anything on E-II, I assume she is waiting her turn. Were the initial flight tests far enough off the mark that major redesign work is required ?

She had the LAR factor nailed, just curious.

Best,

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 07:26 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceeveecee View Post
Hi DAG:

I know you are extremely busy, I follow the 36 and the 130 updates, love the rear cargo ramp on the 130 by the way. I have not seen anything on E-II, I assume she is waiting her turn. Were the initial flight tests far enough off the mark that major redesign work is required ?

She had the LAR factor nailed, just curious.

Best,

Tom
Hi Tom,

Sorry i missed this.
No big rework needed. Just a bigger motor to get her right. By now most who no me knows I want things to be 110% or I won't fly her. I just need to get a A150 and turn a big prop. Plus I have her in storage now, and the 1919 is ready to fly, and with the C130, and dirt bikes and all.......

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 10:10 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
589 Posts
Thanks For The Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Hi Tom,

Sorry i missed this.
No big rework needed. Just a bigger motor to get her right. By now most who no me knows I want things to be 110% or I won't fly her. I just need to get a A150 and turn a big prop. Plus I have her in storage now, and the 1919 is ready to fly, and with the C130, and dirt bikes and all.......

DAG
DAG, thanks so much for the update. I follow all your stuff and fully understand the 110% rule. Nothing gets better once your off the ground.

I have so much interest in E-II after the great results of E-I, I just wanted to make sure I had not missed a report.

All the best,

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Damon Atwood's Emmaselle jsmith285 SEFF 2012 2 Apr 30, 2012 10:11 PM
Question 1919 Emmaselle at SEFF weathervane Giant Electric Planes 4 Sep 30, 2010 01:18 PM
Discussion My First SEFF and my Vintage Emmaselle dag214 SEFF 19 May 05, 2010 08:58 AM
Help! Zig Zag Racer 2 vs. Reef Racer 2 speeding? ihor14448 Racing Boats - Electric 15 Jun 18, 2007 09:15 PM