HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:21 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,234 Posts
Discussion
Gyro Camera Stabilization

I am currently working on some aerial photography and videography with my T-Rex 450 ve v2. After a bunch of different runs, I realized that i needed 2-axis stabilization (roll and tilt). I have built the stabilizer with my 2 servos, but I can't figure out how to get gyros to stabilize it.

What kind of gyros should I use, and can I run it on a separate system from everything else w/o using a receiver (I don't need to be able to manually pan and tilt, I just want the gyros to do everything).

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:50 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
971 Posts
I to am looking for a 2axis gyro but my radio is a six channel so i cant pan and tilt but all I need a gyro for is to stabilize my video camera roll and tilt.. I don't need to pan it myself either just stabalize.. hope some one can help us both out here lol

thanks in advance

farmer
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:48 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
263 Posts
This thread may be of use. Or you could look at the Ecilop site.

They are using 2 x HK401 gyros (Futaba 401 clones without the quality) and 2 fast servos. I have not figured out how they are doing it yet but pics are there to see
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helidex View Post
This thread may be of use. Or you could look at the Ecilop site.

They are using 2 x HK401 gyros (Futaba 401 clones without the quality) and 2 fast servos. I have not figured out how they are doing it yet but pics are there to see
You still need an FC with gimbal output in addition to the 2 gyroscopes for the Ecilop to work.
It would be interesting to see how the Ecilop cam is mounted on the TREX 450.
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:30 AM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
I used two 401's on my 2xPT from PhotoshipOne. It helps but it's by no means a great system. Just ran in between servos and receiver, gains are pretty low but like I said it helps. It's not a total IMU system, but better then nothing Vid of system here (at 3 min I show gyros):

Steve

Stretched Align Trex 600 AP rig (4 min 0 sec)
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated