SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, FL, Weston
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
Cool
Joining my local Rc club. (Vista View Flyers) Broward Fl.

Let me start out by thanking the guys at the hill for their impressive generosity and awesome tips. Those guys are the best.

I've decided to join a local club called the Vista View Flyers based out of Vista View park in broward county Fl. They offer great membership bennefits. They are very welcoming and the family atmosphere is very notable. I came out with My wife, the kids and the dog and they made us feel right at home. Everyone was very kind and helpful. I was fortunate to see how these guys function in the event of a members crash. It's as if they all felt the crash and rushed to get the other member back flying by helping him repair his plane. The same member was being helped on his landings and such.

I Met a few guys that help me alot with my plane. They even let me fly a few times under their carefull watch. They also got me all informed about the AMA membership and how it benefits everyone. I also got all informed on how the club works and the way the club it's self keeps the airfield maintenance up. The extra $5 million in coverage to complement the AMA's 2.5 is very nice. They also provide free instructions by AMA endorsed instructors on site with trainer planes that they let you use while you learn. I hear they have quarterly family picnics, Raffles and free food. Safety and fun is what these guys are all about and Im proud to join them. I can't believe all this for only $40 a year. You need to be AMA member first. I'll be submitting all my info this weekend. Here is a link to their website. http://www.vistaviewflyers.org/
809Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 809Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:35 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,610 Posts
Good on ya! I've always believed that you can tell a good club of any kind by noting the number of wives, girlfriends and children at their events. A group that has a good time no matter what's going on is a group that's fun to fly with.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:01 AM
2 new
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
I haven't met anyone from this club yet. Been to the park a number of times during the week and met a flyer who was not part of any club. He was very helpful and took the time to help me out with my first flight. Great guy.

I would like to join a club, but would like to witness their interactions before I do so. Been to Markham Park to watch and ask questions, but wasn't impressed with some of their arrogant attitude. Maybe it was just a bad day for some. Also looking for an rc trainer. Got a contact number, but after e-mailing, phone calls, voicemail and texting have not gotten a reply. Was going to send up smoke signal, but if he can't return a call, why bother. It's somewhat discouraging, but I'll keep looking until I find someone to help me.
RayPaganJr is offline Find More Posts by RayPaganJr
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:08 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPaganJr View Post
I haven't met anyone from this club yet. Been to the park a number of times during the week and met a flyer who was not part of any club. He was very helpful and took the time to help me out with my first flight. Great guy.

I would like to join a club, but would like to witness their interactions before I do so. Been to Markham Park to watch and ask questions, but wasn't impressed with some of their arrogant attitude. Maybe it was just a bad day for some. Also looking for an rc trainer. Got a contact number, but after e-mailing, phone calls, voicemail and texting have not gotten a reply. Was going to send up smoke signal, but if he can't return a call, why bother. It's somewhat discouraging, but I'll keep looking until I find someone to help me.
Where are you located? It always helps to let others know your approximate location. You said you went to a park. Is this a public park or is it a club field? Do you have a club name or was your contact just some individual who flies there?

If you want to join a club it's best to be an AMA member first. http://www.modelaircraft.org/
The AMA site will also assist you in finding club in your area.

Most clubs will require AMA membership.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:04 PM
2 new
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
Sorry. I live in Pembroke Pines. Live in Town Gate (Governor's Run) behind Publix on Pines and Dykes. Today visited Vista View Park and there was no one there. Probably due to the horrible weather we've been having. Been to the Vista View club's website and tried to e-mail president, but it gives me a message: "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed." Already applied for AMA membership and my card arrived a couple of days ago.

I've flown my plane twice with the help of the above-mentioned individual's help. Then I attempted to do it alone and crashed. This was Saturday and I went to a field next to Bokamper's in Miramar. Was really windy and plane was all over the place.

Anyway, I'll definitely be going back to Vista View Park. I like it a lot more than Markham. It's quiet and since no one is there, there's not that nervous feeling of being a beginner hoping not to crash in front of everyone. I do hope to meet others there some day soon.
Last edited by RayPaganJr; Jun 24, 2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling error.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:35 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,810 Posts
Ray, good luck with the training. I hope you find a good place to fly, and some good guys to fly with.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:15 PM
2 new
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Ray, good luck with the training. I hope you find a good place to fly, and some good guys to fly with.

Glen
Thank you so much. I was able to get in contact with a club very close to my house. Weather permitting, we should be able to hook up sometime this weekend. I have a couple of planes coming in from different sites, so just in time to start learning.
Last edited by RayPaganJr; Jun 27, 2012 at 04:03 PM.