HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:39 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
I figured something was up since you have been pretty quiet lately.

Best wishes for a fast and full recovery for Belle.
Mmmm, yeah. I'm very sad to hear. Hard stuff.

Best thoughts your way, mang.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:58 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
Edge 540 with TH LED light kit

Thanks to my daughter for dealing with the mosquitoes while recording this video. A little distracting to hover when the little buggers are going after your face and legs.

http://youtu.be/_egOIJSyqoQ?hd=1
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Aug 2011
174 Posts
Ron, sorry to hear about your dog, hope you get to spend some more quality time with her.
RFairbairn is offline Find More Posts by RFairbairn
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
Thanks to my daughter for dealing with the mosquitoes while recording this video. A little distracting to hover when the little buggers are going after your face and legs.

http://youtu.be/_egOIJSyqoQ?hd=1

Bugs..!!!

We have them here too, in fact just last week I made a bottle of Cutters part of my field tote!!
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post

I was thinking about that photo last night and told a flying mate about it. Do you think it would be possible to actually have a design in mind then go out and fly a pattern to get the shapes and traces you want. Something like a rolling harrier circle then when the circle is done bring it in the centre of the circle and sit there in as steady a prop hang as you can manage. Would it be possible that if the prop hang was steady enough you'd create a ghostly image of the plane surrounded by the traces from the rolling harrier circuit?
Yeah. get one of your mates to give it shot (pun intended ) You never know until you try!
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Ron my thoughts are with you, Polly and of course Belle. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

I know how you feel, I'm a gibbering wreck anytime we have lost a pet and each time I say no more. We now have a Rhodesian Ridge Back, an Egyptian Mau and a Bengal.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,995 Posts
Q - Trimming method for 3D foamies?

This has probably been asked many times before, but 5 searches later I'm none the wiser so here goes...

I'm a fairly expereinced pilot but a total newbie to 3D foamies (I mostly fly slope and thermal soarers). I've just built and test flown the 32" Twisted Sbach; it seemed to go great, though when you're used to nudging a sloper round the sky with tiny movements for max efficiency those huge control surfaces take some getting used to! Anyway, my question is this... how do you go about trimming a 3D foamie for optimal aerobatic performance?

I suppose the three main variables (other than rates, which I guess are more personal choice) are CG, downthrust and sidethrust, correct? Mine doesn't seem to need any sidethrust - it tracks straight at all power settings with no rudder or aileron trim - but it climbs strongly hands off at full power and seems to nosedive somewhat at power settings less than 1/3. On a glider I know the tests to do and in what order to optimse CG, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to a powered model with a flat plate airfoil.

Is this just expected behaviour, or is there a CG/downthrust correction I need to make? If so, are there any tests (i.e. trim for level flight at half power then carry out xyz manouvre etc) that can tell me the changes required? Any help you can give is much appreciated - many thanks!

Matt
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Apr 20, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:44 AM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
486 Posts
I think you want to do most of your tweaking with CG and not with thrust angles. I'd move your CG back to the point where it flies the same upside down as it does right side up - without diving or ballooning. Also don't use any elevator trim which isn't needed in the same amount and in the same direction for both upside down and right side up. Hopefully you'll have no trim at all set up. Just my opinions.

Charles
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Last edited by ccpdx; Apr 21, 2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:46 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
- but it climbs strongly hands off at full power and seems to nosedive somewhat at power settings less than 1/3
In my experience this mean that your CG is to far forward. You can confirm that by flying inverted. If it dives when upside down the CG needs to be moved back.

Another thing that is important on this small planes is lateral balance. If the plane roll out of a fairly tight outside loop, one wing is heavier than the other. Try to balance with the battery and if it is not sufficent, use a small screw as a weight in the lighter wingtip.
With good lateral balance will it fly very precise through all manoeuvres.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:30 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,995 Posts
Thanks gents - my gut feel was that the CG was too far fwd, but I didn't have the experience with this type of bird to be certain. Time to dig out a 7g weight and go testing!
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
Hey guy's! Haven't been on here much latley. Our 8 1/2 year old yellow lab Belle has went into kidney failure,and is fighting for her life at the animal hosp. She is my constant companion,and goes everywhere with me. The Vet thinks she will recover,but with the kidney damage,and putting her on a special diet,she could live 6-9 months longer after she get's out. Nothing tears at your heart,like watching your best friend/companion struggle for their life,and there's nothing you can do. The last 2 says I've found how lonley you can be,when someone in your life is gone. My wife and I have both been crying every time we think about her. She is so gentle,and loving! She allways meets people with a big smile,tail wagging,and a kiss,if they bend over close to her face. She is a fighter,and strong willed. At the Vet's she walked in got on the scales,then into the exam room. After the blood work the vet said,he couldn't believe how she was able to walk on her
own,wagging her tail,and being happy to see everyone. He said the toxin levels
in her blood were so high,that most dogs would have to be carried in. I told him
that she had went on her 2 mile walk that morning with her mommy Polly ( my
wife) them laid down and rested. Although she haden't eaten anything in 2
day's. He just shook his head,and said amazing! Your thoughts and prayers for
Belle will be appreciated. Ron
Good luck to Belle, it breaks my heart when a beloved dog is ailing. My little Doxy, George is getting pretty old and the thought of him being gone is a tough one. My prayers for you and yours.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:17 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
Hey guy's! Haven't been on here much latley. Our 8 1/2 year old yellow lab Belle has went into kidney failure,and is fighting for her life at the animal hosp. She is my constant companion,and goes everywhere with me. The Vet thinks she will recover,but with the kidney damage,and putting her on a special diet,she could live 6-9 months longer after she get's out. Nothing tears at your heart,like watching your best friend/companion struggle for their life,and there's nothing you can do. The last 2 says I've found how lonley you can be,when someone in your life is gone. My wife and I have both been crying every time we think about her. She is so gentle,and loving! She allways meets people with a big smile,tail wagging,and a kiss,if they bend over close to her face. She is a fighter,and strong willed. At the Vet's she walked in got on the scales,then into the exam room. After the blood work the vet said,he couldn't believe how she was able to walk on her own,wagging her tail,and being happy to see everyone. He said the toxin levels in her blood were so high,that most dogs would have to be carried in. I told him that she had went on her 2 mile walk that morning with her mommy Polly ( my wife) them laid down and rested. Although she haden't eaten anything in 2 day's. He just shook his head,and said amazing! Your thoughts and prayers for Belle will be appreciated. Ron
Ron,

I hope for speedy revovery for Bella and i hope she was many wags left in that tail. We lost our dog of 15 years about 3 months ago, I still tear up when thinking of her. She was a true friend. and is missed.

shawn
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:29 PM
Registered Abuser
United States, CT, Bethlehem
Joined Jan 2012
43 Posts
Ron, hope your dog pulls through, I know what its like to go through that. It must be hard not being able to be right there with her. I'm hoping for the best.

I got out again and played with the long exposure. This time set it to 30 seconds, F4, and played around with the ISO, got down to about 250 and was happy with it there.

It would be really cool to see what this would look like with someone who actually knew how to fly these things.

Ok I'm done posting swirly blue photos. Night flying is too much fun.

About the new model with information coming out "soon," would this happen to also be the same one I'm saving this micro gear for? If not, any word if info on that can be expected in the near future?
astolenpose is offline Find More Posts by astolenpose
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:50 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Great stills!

I was at a giant scale fly in today that got DONINATED by Crack Yaks!! Well done my twisted brothers!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:10 AM
liv nvrtd
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jun 2007
190 Posts
I love it. Thanks for the wonderful photos and the stimulating ideas for night flying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astolenpose View Post
Ron, hope your dog pulls through, I know what its like to go through that. It must be hard not being able to be right there with her. I'm hoping for the best.

I got out again and played with the long exposure. This time set it to 30 seconds, F4, and played around with the ISO, got down to about 250 and was happy with it there.

It would be really cool to see what this would look like with someone who actually knew how to fly these things.

Ok I'm done posting swirly blue photos. Night flying is too much fun.

About the new model with information coming out "soon," would this happen to also be the same one I'm saving this micro gear for? If not, any word if info on that can be expected in the near future?
notruthless is offline Find More Posts by notruthless