HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:31 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post

FWIW, I have done a test to confirm my camera starts a third recording after the second 20 min. clip with the stock battery and no Echarger attached... it just will not save it. So the charger is not causing the last file not to be saved... it's a camera function.
One of my cameras will save the file on it's own but not when the charger is connected.

Also, this camera did fill a 4gb card on it's own. At the end of the third file it had a pulsating audible interference that gradually got louder towards the end.
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Last edited by lostheli; Feb 01, 2011 at 04:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:57 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
I don't understand what you are asking. Can you be more specific?
Thanks. Sorry, I wasn't clear. After you recharge the camera with the emergency charger, could you again record two 20 minutes clips?

I think the answer should be yes (unless the emergency charger doesn't fully charge the camera). But then I don't understand why the camera stops at after three 20 min. clips with the emergency charger connected. I remember it just keeps recording until the card is full with the car charger.

Possibly the emergency charger charges the camera at a lower current than what the camera requires to record video? That could explain why the emergency charger extends the recording time by just one extra 20 min. clip. If the recharging time is longer than 40 - 50 minutes, then it's quite likely that this is the problem.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:57 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
One of my cameras will save the file on it's own but not when the charger is connected.

Also, this camera did fill a 4gb card on it's own. At the end of the third file it had a pulsating audible interference that gradually got louder towards the end.
Interesting... seems these cameras all have a different mind of their own. If you filled a 4 GB card with just three files, yours is also recording at that much higher 10kbps rather than 7 kbps like mine did, producing 1.5GB 20 minute clips instead of 1.03GB clips.

That pulsating noise is what happens when the battery power is about shot. If your card was full, THAT WILL cause the file to be saved (I confirmed that on mine). But had the card not filled up and instead the battery was finally depleted, you might not have gotten that third clip saved.

I think I'm ready to stop trying to figure all this out since it varies from one camera to the next. As long as I can get two 20 minute clips, that's longer than I fly a plane on any given flight, so I'll have the full flight recorded except for the 3-4 seconds that is lost between clips.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
But then I don't understand why the camera stops at after three 20 min. clips with the emergency charger connected. I remember it just keeps recording until the card is full with the car charger..
He said the card did fill up, though. That could be why the recording stopped, even though the battery was also getting low from the sound artifact that was on the third clip. If his camera is one that shoots at 10kbps data rate with 1.5GB per 20 min. clip, the card will fill up before the third 20 min. has expired. The size of his three files would pretty much tell if the card filled up before the battery was dead.
Quote:
Possibly the emergency charger charges the camera at a lower current than what the camera requires to record video? That could explain why the emergency charger extends the recording time by just one extra 20 min. clip. If the recharging time is longer than 40 - 50 minutes, then it's quite likely that this is the problem .
I think you could be right about that. It would be a good test to do.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:21 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Sorry, I wasn't clear. After you recharge the camera with the emergency charger, could you again record two 20 minutes clips?

I think the answer should be yes (unless the emergency charger doesn't fully charge the camera). But then I don't understand why the camera stops at after three 20 min. clips with the emergency charger connected. I remember it just keeps recording until the card is full with the car charger.

Possibly the emergency charger charges the camera at a lower current than what the camera requires to record video? That could explain why the emergency charger extends the recording time by just one extra 20 min. clip. If the recharging time is longer than 40 - 50 minutes, then it's quite likely that this is the problem.
The answer is yes.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:29 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Interesting... seems these cameras all have a different mind of their own. If you filled a 4 GB card with just three files, yours is also recording at that much higher 10kbps rather than 7 kbps like mine did, producing 1.5GB 20 minute clips instead of 1.03GB clips.

That pulsating noise is what happens when the battery power is about shot. If your card was full, THAT WILL cause the file to be saved (I confirmed that on mine). But had the card not filled up and instead the battery was finally depleted, you might not have gotten that third clip saved.

I think I'm ready to stop trying to figure all this out since it varies from one camera to the next. As long as I can get two 20 minute clips, that's longer than I fly a plane on any given flight, so I'll have the full flight recorded except for the 3-4 seconds that is lost between clips.
I agree. and you could get an e-charger and charge up in between flights if you wanted. I have been consumed with this and it really doesn't pertain to what I want to do with the camera. I need to check/adjust focus now. Then look into the whole editing, file conversion, and filters thing. I'm so far behind.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:41 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
He said the card did fill up, though. That could be why the recording stopped, even though the battery was also getting low from the sound artifact that was on the third clip. If his camera is one that shoots at 10kbps data rate with 1.5GB per 20 min. clip, the card will fill up before the third 20 min. has expired. The size of his three files would pretty much tell if the card filled up before the battery was dead.
The card was full.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:10 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2008
625 Posts
Can someone verify this is correct #11....also lens

Can someone verify if this is correct #11 and reliable seller..

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-keychain-Came...item1c1881c6ac

Or maybe offer a few links to the right ones..

I have a #7...love it...time to go HD.. I bought a class 6 8GB card ...will this work.

What is current best lens for this camera? I want to film hd while flying FPV
gittarpikk is online now Find More Posts by gittarpikk
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittarpikk View Post

I have a #7...love it...time to go HD.. I bought a class 6 8GB card ...will this work.

What is current best lens for this camera? I want to film hd while flying FPV
All but your last question is answered in post #2 and #3.

The best lens has not yet been found. The only lens available so far is the one that comes on it. You can view many videos here to see if it is to your liking.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:26 PM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:

Yes, it is. See Post #2 of this thread.

Quote:
Yes it will work fine, but the battery will run out before you use even 4GB (see this post for more information).
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:43 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,368 Posts
Here's a quick comparison I did this morning as a storm was moving in... It's the Keychain camera, a JVC Picsio, and a Kodak Playsport. I think the keychain camera holds it's own quite well!

You can see the wider FOV on the keychain camera here too. Forgot to mention that in the video...

Playsport vs. Picsio vs. HD Keychain (2 min 48 sec)
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Feb 02, 2011, 01:15 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Here's a quick comparison I did this morning as a storm was moving in... It's the Keychain camera, a JVC Picsio, and a Kodak Playsport. I think the keychain camera holds it's own quite well!

You can see the wider FOV on the keychain camera here too. Forgot to mention that in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iePKuR0rmio
I like the wider AOV for AV use. A little post processing to desaturate the color and tame the hot spot, plus a click less contrast and a touch of sharpening, and the HD key cam would compare even better! I've notice the color saturation really "blooms" as the light level increases. If we could just find a different lens that more evenly illuminates the CMOS array in the corners, I think a lot of the central "hot spot" would disappear.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:55 AM
ptg
Barjetling Academy #1
Joined Apr 2005
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Do you turn it on before you seal it or are you able to manipulate the buttons thru the TicTac case?

It may be a solution for my mounting under the wing and it's touchy, hair trigger buttons. Many times I've turned the camera on and then secured it to the mount and turned it off accidently and came up with no video of a particular flight. Frustrating to say the least.

I don't want to mount inverted and have to flip the video during post processing. No good reason that's just me

Yabba
No problem turning on/off. Plastic box is soft enough to turn on/off. Also no problem for mounting under wing... Tom, no o-ring needed. Tested in all positions, never trigs by itself. Beside, it is ok if You put a small 2-3 mm dick foam between TIC TAC case and wing. No vibrations, at all.
Rick NR417 yesss, really is 20 metres amazing depth. Electric tape must be flexible (good quality brand) and voila null problemo for HD scuba... BUT, divers know that on 20 meter we have light problems... As I said 20 meters is testing depth only for Tictac solution.
ptg is offline Find More Posts by ptg
Last edited by ptg; Feb 02, 2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:32 AM
Test pilot
Joined Oct 2005
66 Posts
I'm stuck at stage one

Hi Guys
Bought a HD720P and then i started ,I have 2 Turnigy key cams both work fine wanted to get into HD, what have I done, Why cant the Chinese write instructions using someone who is fluent in English, having no real luck in getting it into the recording mode, somehow fluked a couple, couldn,t download to PC, removed card to Turnigy cam and was able to download and view, what I saw was OK, what Is my problem, am I Dumb or can someone help me .
Goofa
goofa is offline Find More Posts by goofa
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:43 AM
Joined Feb 2011
3 Posts
Got mine today ordered from eletoponline365, charged the battery, tried a short video for testing and then tried to remove the date using the "date off" procedure. I copied the firmware to the root diectory of the SD card, with the same name, then tried to turn on, and wait for the yellow light... but it never turned on again. Something went wrong, no idea what happened, it should be a newer model I think (placed my order less than 2 weeks ago). I guess the camera is dead
bricked is offline Find More Posts by bricked
Closed Thread