HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:59 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
Discussion
All destroyers .

I have been doing some thinking about this one. There are a lot of us buildding models of US navy and other navy destroyers and I think it would be neat as well as fun to have a thread on Destroyers. This will be open to all types and scale and even the real ones. THIS way we all will have one place to help each other.
Myself I am not building one. BUT I have built a few . Including a DDG that i know some of you have seen on other boards. SO now we have our own Destroyer area to help and share ideas with those that eather building or just begining to build . OK I will share some of mind . ONE them will be one that went to anohter beginner and he is doing good . Like all of us in the begining he is learning as he goes. I started this one about 3 years ago and never went back to it. THEN I have the ones that finish and still have in my fleet . I also put another buddys of mind that is a 12 ft DE and then i have my DDG out in the pond and my DD THE SULLY in the pond as well.

So if you want to join is please do this could become intresting and yes I have done my share of the Blue divels. So I am sure we all can help each other but now we will have a central sight. So wellcome aboard to all of you
We can allso add real pictures of DD and DE ships. So who will be next ?
DON your Portland rustbucket. Thanks
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:14 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
more pictures

OK SORRY I FORGOT to add these. so now it is up to the rest of us . I hope we can all help each other. I am more then willing to answer and help any one I can from what I have done and know from my 20 or so years of building . thank you DON your Portland Rustbucket.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:12 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
Hello from don

WEll I took mind out today she ran good no sines of problems. I did the USS THE SULLIVANS DD 537, This the 2nd one I have done in the last few years. I run a pair of 12 volt pitman motors along with a supper rooster Novak speed control. with a 12 volt 2 amp hour battery. With a speckrum reciver and traxas speed props . Also has a compleat set of lights for night runing and working rador that was set up by useing a standard servo with the stops cut out so it will rotake all of the time. I did it in 1.96 scale for the most part except for a few things she is scratch built . I am useing a scale ship yard hull by Lee up shaw. She is at 4 ft .
DON that Portland Rustbucket
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:55 AM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
here's my 1/48th scale USS WARD...pic taken about a year ago...
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:01 AM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
couple more.......
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:16 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
IT looks good. Some history behind her for sure. To bad we did not take the hint from her. Things may have been a little different back in forty one.
Wellcome aboard maybe we can now get a few others. post when ever you want and nice to meet ya desron Are you a former tin caner just wondering .
DON your Rustbucket thank yoiu for posting.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:49 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Aug 2009
192 Posts
Tincansailors

Morning DON. I have been reading and learning from the various post on DD`s especially the FLETCHERS-great ships, at present I have two Lindberg still NIB and a used Deans Marine to restore. I served on three FLETCHERS in the 60-70 crusing around the PACIFIC NICHOLAS DD 449, OBANNON DD450 & COWELL DD547, due to the navys various upgrades all three where different from the main deck up. Keep up the good work and post. USN CPO ret.
tincanrider is offline Find More Posts by tincanrider
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:17 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
Hello from don

Wellcome aboard .
Thank you for coming on board . yes I do agree with what your saying . I found that out myself when I did the ones I built. I would look at a set of pictures of one ship then run across the same ship at a later date and it was kind of different. Then later I found out what would happen .
Later I learn when they would come in for something we would change something to improve it or some one elest would change it that we had no control on. We Did the best we could to keep it from happening.

YUP THOSE Gray hounds were grate ships . Through the years of myself building them and other class's I have learn the grate history of the flechers and others that were built ..
Allways have had soft spot for the tin cans.
Thank you and do add more when you get the time.
This is one of the reason I started this board to open it to all to talk share ideas and help others IN Building and history of all navy destroyers
From all over.
Thank you again.
DON YOUR Portland Rustbucket.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:31 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
O FOR GOT to let it out I have done a few Blues
( THE USS MELVIN )
myself and have did some changing for others.That ship has some intresting history on how it became known as the Blue Devil destroyer.

As well use those hulls for other classes. When I fine the pictures of the ones I have done for othrs I will post them. MY first DD was a scratch but I modeled alot of from the BLUE.
I try to stear first timers toward the Blue when they want to learn and build a tin can. IT is a good learner.
IF you have any pictures and you would to share of yours Please post them I am sure others will enjoy seeing your work .

Myself I still have a couple I could build. Later down the line . Sofar never have done one for myself built for others but the thought is there.
Thankyou agian Tincanrider for coming on board.. I hope we can keep this board going. DON Your Portland Rustbucket
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:16 PM
goole east riding yorkshire
Joined May 2010
210 Posts
dd

hi rusty old mate still keeping up with building the 96 scale when i been looking for something new when i finished the biggen, i actuly wanted a Adams class but couldtn find one with searching the net i came across the z37 its 103b class german destroyer ,so guess what i ordered one i hope he will be wellcome in the dd groupe hes bigger then the fletcher in original over 4000tonnes will post some pics when arrived lulu
lulu86 is offline Find More Posts by lulu86
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:27 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
HELLO LuLu Sounds good. HOW about sharing some of your work that your doing with us .I know your doing good work and I am sure others would fine it neat to see what you have all ready done as well as what have done with your blue.

YES YOUR FUTURE Project would be wellcome . This board is open to all kinds of Destroyers no matter what they are or what kinds or whear they are from.. This is an open board. I hope to keep it this way. I would enjoy seeing other destoryers from other countrys no matter what or other ideas that people has built . NOW those are intresting to see. LIKE ME at one time did not know what I was doing and just went for building a DD. had fun learing and it even ran ok. I will share that one down the line . So yes show us by all means and any one elest that would like to share there projects. DON that Portland Rustbucket
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:01 PM
goole east riding yorkshire
Joined May 2010
210 Posts
change of wind

hello don like i said as soon the newen arrives i post some pics ,her are the latest pics of the 96 work is slow in the moment till i pick up . lulu by the way will make the next batch of gun barrel myself ther hollow made of brass not whitemetal
lulu86 is offline Find More Posts by lulu86
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:03 PM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,093 Posts
INS Scirrocco and the IJN Tachikaze. 1/72nd scale combat.
Tachikaze is online now Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:30 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
HELLO Tachikaze Thank you adding yours. I was hoping some of the combat ships crews would join us. Those look good side by side. I have all all ready gave Umi an invite for I know her ships as well.

With all of us adding to this board we will have a lot of good information for everybody to read and enjoy and answer questions on how things are done.
Thank you again. jump in any time.Maybe you can talk some of your other DD crews to jump in as well.

TO LULU I want to say thank you as well see I knew you would jump to show and tell . YOUR may be a beginer but you can be like the rest of us helping others with what you learn all ready just in the short of time you have been building, LOOK Good. NOW we have others that can help and pass along there ideas.
GOOD JOB TIN caners keep up the good work.
DON THE Portland Rustbucket.

Don your Portland Rustbucket.