HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:14 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,579 Posts
Discussion
FrySky Taranis

Thought some of you might want to talk about the Taranis and FrySky in general. I've been flying a couple of the original modules in an old JR 9303 and a Futaba 9 channel for more than a year now. About a month and a half ago I got the new Taranis Tx and have been slowly moving everything over to that.

This is a very powerful transmitter. Takes a bit of thought to wrap your head around the programming but it will do anything you can think up. The Tx talks, the Rx does telemetry and it is all quite inexpensive. So far I am flying my BVM Viper, one of my BVM Sabre's, an Electra and many foamies. The latest Rx pictured has 16 channels total. 8 physical channels + an Sbus output which is compatible with the Futaba way of doing Sbus. The Rx also has an S-port input which takes a serial data stream from the various sensors available. So far I am mostly using it for voltage, the pictured voltage sensor clips on the balance connector of a 3 to 6S pack and feeds the Rx individual cell voltages as well as total pack voltage.

To give you an idea of the power of the Tx, you can set voltage alarms for low cell and low pack voltage to start with. Also, I've got it set to call out positions of the gear and flap channels as they are flicked. So "Flaps down" "gear down" when you are configuring for landing. I've also got the low cell voltage on a spring loaded switch in case I want to hear it during the flight and also have it set to call out the low cell voltage once every 25 seconds.

The Cheap part, all prices approximate:

Rx's <$35
4 channel S-bus Hub <$20
Channel changer < $20
6S voltage sensor <$20
Airspeed $65
Transmitter $185
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Last edited by Chris True; Jun 08, 2014 at 05:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:43 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,766 Posts
Good thread Chris, I was impressed with what you showed me at the jet jam!
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:44 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,853 Posts
Man....thats some awesome stuff! Crazy what these "no name" brands are coming up with!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2000
6,766 Posts
Does the system show your rf link strength?
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:53 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,579 Posts
Yes, RSSI is their name for link strength. There is a default alarm value on that, as with everything if you are interested you can set it up to call out the value if you wish. I've not had any signal strength alarms at all. You can swamp the Rx if the TX is sitting inches from it, it'll call out "telemetry lost" "telemetry recovered" fairly frequently on the bench. Just move the TX away a foot.

If you want to see it, that telemetry screen has many fields displayable, 9 or more. You would just choose RSSI for one of the fields. I'm more in to the audio callouts as even glancing down, I can't really read the screen easily with my distance shades on...
Last edited by Chris True; Jun 08, 2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:56 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,579 Posts
FWIW, the link type is frequency hopping, similar but not identical to the Futaba way of doing things. They do sell Futaba compatible clone Rx's.

If you so not like Sbus you can use two 8 channel Rx's and bind them in such a way that one does channel 1-8 and the second does 9-16. If you do that you need to disable telemetry on the second Rx.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 06:10 PM
Joined Dec 2000
6,766 Posts
Huge capability, with a modest price!
Old Jun 08, 2014, 06:49 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,579 Posts
Welcome to Taranis, Part 0: Introduction (0 min 17 sec)

A bunch of instructional video's.

BTW , there is also a related PC program for programming if you prefer that over let's of button pushing on the TX. You can work your way through a complex model, checking in the servo movement simulator along the way until you have it all, then just move the program over via USB and do your final endpoint and subtrim adjustments.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 07:20 PM
Miamisburg OH
Joined Dec 2003
517 Posts
I have been flying this radio system in some aerotow sailplanes at 1500 ft up and 2000ft out and the RSSI info is nice to have. It helps to tell you if your antenna placement is ok.
John Lueke is offline Find More Posts by John Lueke
Old Jun 09, 2014, 08:36 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,579 Posts
One thing the S-bus is useful for, other than channels > #8. My Viper has 2 separate aileron servo's setup as flaperons and a speed brake servo. So 3 connections + airlines to make every time the wing goes on. As my first adventure in S-bus I programmed a 4 channel hub for those 3 channels and hooked up the three wing servo's. With the hub double stick taped to the wing now there is only one servo connection + airlines to make when installing the wing.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 01:57 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,005 Posts
If you look at the Radio forum, these two threads have a huge amount of info-
and there are others.

FrSky Taranis - 16 Channels, Full Telemetry, RSSI

FRSKY Taranis "How to" Thread

Hard to believe that you can get this for $210.00 ( Combo includes one (1) X8R 16 channel receiver with the Taranis transmitter.) Additonal FrSky X8R - 16 channel, Sbus, Smart Port Receiver is only $33.00 The Futaba 7C ( no servos ) is 280.00

http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-ta...x8r-combo.html
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-x8r.html

Well done videos on You tube..
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jun 09, 2014, 02:58 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,802 Posts
How's the overall feel of the radio compared to your 9303 or the newer spektrums?
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Jun 09, 2014, 04:01 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,579 Posts
The overall feel compared to the 9303 is pretty much the same, kind of expected as the case is identical with the exception of buttons instead of a roller selector on the right.

I do buy most of my stuff through Aloft Hobbies unless they are out of stock (I bought a few of the voltage sensors recently elsewhere as they were not in stock at Aloft), shipping is QUICK! Order by Tuesday or so and I have it for the weekend generally.

Yep, lot's of info in those threads. The real experts hang out their as well. Not too many jet buddies though . And those threads move so fast you are left sifting through thousands of entries to find a nugget of information you need.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 07:02 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
278 Posts
Got one a little while ago.............pretty neat, huh??

I have been flying the FrSky systems for a couple years now in my Futaba 8 and 9 channel radios and they have been flawless. I probably have 20+ receivers and 7 modules (one for each radio) and they are great.

Really haven't had a chance to put the Taranis through it's full paces, but I have tried out the RSSI, voltage, and the variometer (altitude) on some of my planes.

The case feels a little cheap compared to my Futaba 9c radios, but it has WAY more features than most people will ever use. The possibilities are almost endless already, and when the developers of the software want to step it up a notch, it will be unreal. Just wait until the new model comes out!!
pylonboy is offline Find More Posts by pylonboy
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:19 AM
Nederland, NB, Waalwijk
Joined Sep 2006
260 Posts
Open TX 2.0

The software that runs on the Taranis does all the magic. Its open source so anyone can dig in and change what they want. The team behind this OPEN TX project has just released V2.0 with some very nice upgrades in functionality and they added LUA scripting language. This allows the user to write scripts for tasks that are too complex for the standard mixers and custom functions.

V2.0 also allows things like automatic gear down when the measures altitude gets below a certain value! How cool is that?

With flight modes its very simple do make very smooth transitions from take off settings, to normal flight to landings settings. I really enjoy this radio and most people I meet that see it in action and hear what the price is want one ;-)
MrBlobby is offline Find More Posts by MrBlobby