New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Had a look at maximus-rc 's crash logs

max1 (0 min 11 sec)

Some strange stuff happening.
0:05 Throttle rises from 51 to 88.
Liftoff nose up. AI R4, U28
A few moments later, Manual servo position, goes bananas.
Throttle alternating between low and max, way too fast for manual stick movement.
FLIP

It looks like RX glitched.
Or YS failed to read the servo positions.
Have advised user to try a different RX.

max2 (0 min 16 sec)

0:03 some shake at liftoff. Max 26 across 3 samples.
Liftoff nose up.
Full forward applied as craft is now backing toward pilot.
0:06 Craft now starts leaning forward.
Over corrected?
Throttle dropped, possibly same glitch as before.
But since in Auto hover, it starts descending.
Makes ground contact, flip.

At some point in both videos the values for Servo position dissapera for 1 sample.
Video1, 0:07, Manual servo position, Aileron, R40 - Blank - R39

A video of these flights would be handy.

A second opinion would be appreciated.
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Feb 2010
203 Posts
Thanks guys... Appreciate your help again.

I don't have a closeup of my setup at the moment, but it's all pretty standard stuff.

I'm flying a DJI F550 frame, with the stock DJI motors and ESCs. I think from memory, they are 30amp ESCs. The gimbal is normally powered by a separate BEC but at the moment it's completely disconnected and has been for a few weeks now. I'm running 4C 5000 mah batteries. My transmitter is a Hitec Aurora and I'm using the Hitec 9ch Optima receiver.

The twitching problem I have has only come about in the last month or so. The only thing that's changed on the copter is that I went from a 7ch receiver, to a new 9ch receiver. Is it possible the receiver is defective? It's a genuine Hitec receiver, but I did in fact pick it up "new" on Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajar View Post
can you get a close up picture of your setup? List of problems can range from ESC settings, channel calibration to interference.

btw jdreitman, I'll send you a pm.
jdreitman is offline Find More Posts by jdreitman
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:53 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreitman View Post
Thanks guys... Appreciate your help again.

I don't have a closeup of my setup at the moment, but it's all pretty standard stuff.

I'm flying a DJI F550 frame, with the stock DJI motors and ESCs. I think from memory, they are 30amp ESCs. The gimbal is normally powered by a separate BEC but at the moment it's completely disconnected and has been for a few weeks now. I'm running 4C 5000 mah batteries. My transmitter is a Hitec Aurora and I'm using the Hitec 9ch Optima receiver.

The twitching problem I have has only come about in the last month or so. The only thing that's changed on the copter is that I went from a 7ch receiver, to a new 9ch receiver. Is it possible the receiver is defective? It's a genuine Hitec receiver, but I did in fact pick it up "new" on Ebay.
it may be worth doing the channel calibration again and check against the value in the GCS. Also, move your rx, data radio or wifi module as far away from the imu as possible.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:54 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
thats because he got enough sat locks to engage RTH and it didnt drop to <6 sats. I've never experiencing sat lock drops to below 6 but it would be nice if they change the protocol to auto land, just to add an extra layer of convenience and security.

Sometimes I had a bit of trouble understanding peter because of language barrier but my question to him about this issue was simple enough and he answered it, or rather provided explanation to me, plain and simple. I asked him, why does the motors shut off when I engage RTH? He was informed of my test condition and he's the one who gave explanation to me that motors will shut off if RTH is engaged when there's not enough sat locks.
And I posed this question to him:
"It has been reported on one of the forums that if you flick Backlanding switch on the Tx when there isnít at least 7 sat locks, the motors will shut off. Is this correct?"

And the answer:
"if the gps work on the ground is normal , there will be have big than 5 sats when the AP start to work .
if the gps singal is not well , and the sats is less than 5 , you need switch to manual to back landing .
i want to tell you why about the motor is shut when the aircraft in the back landing .
if your aircraft Tilt angle is big than 60 Degree for one second , the ap will be shut the motors .
why the aircraft tilt for this too much defree ?
you need check the value of Vibration and shaking data
"

So, basically he is saying that you cannot do a backlanding if you have less than 5 satellites and if you have less you need to switch to Manual mode.
He is also saying that the only time the motors will cut out is when you have an angle of greater than 60deg for one second, which I see as a safety feature anyway. Can you imagine a hexa coming at you at speed with motors on full throttle. I prefer the motors to cut out.

Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
it may be worth doing the channel calibration again and check against the value in the GCS. Also, move your rx, data radio or wifi module as far away from the imu as possible.
I agree. Everything I have than could possibly cause interference is located as far as the cable will stretch.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:07 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
"It has been reported on one of the forums that if you flick Backlanding switch on the Tx when there isnít at least 7 sat locks, the motors will shut off. Is this correct?"

And the answer:
"if the gps work on the ground is normal , there will be have big than 5 sats when the AP start to work .
if the gps singal is not well , and the sats is less than 5 , you need switch to manual to back landing .
i want to tell you why about the motor is shut when the aircraft in the back landing .
if your aircraft Tilt angle is big than 60 Degree for one second , the ap will be shut the motors .
"

So, basically he is saying that you cannot do a backlanding if you have less than 5 satellites and if you have less you need to switch to Manual mode.
He is also saying that the only time the motors will cut out is when you have an angle of greater than 60deg for one second, which I see as a safety feature anyway. Can you imagine a hexa coming at you at speed with motors on full throttle. I prefer the motors to cut out.

Rob
thanks for the quotes. I spoke to him over QQ so can't give you the exact quote, I dont know how to bring back past conversations over QQ. But lets look at what he said to you:

" there will be have big than 5 sats when the AP start to work .
if the gps singal is not well , and the sats is less than 5 , you need switch to manual to back landing ."

Now my interpretation on the above passage is different from yours. He didnt say that the system would override RTH instruction if the sats were less than 5. He said "you need switch to manual to back landing". Surely the copter couldnt engage in automatic back landing when flying in manual mode. He means to say, if sat locks is below 5, just fly it back in manual mode. The original quote did not deny nor confirm about motors shutting off when engaging in RTH with sat locks less than 5.

But he did say to me that motors would shut off if I engage RTH with not enough sat locks. You surely got a point there that without adequate sat locks RTH should be disregarded by the system but surely not by shutting off motors. I would prefer the copter to engage in auto land, just like the original DJI Naza's low voltage failsafe.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
aok
Joined Dec 2011
43 Posts
Hello again..®

I really have problem with setting up this #§%/ ...The motors will not start. All the sticks go in right direction.. (i think)
aok is offline Find More Posts by aok
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the quotes. I spoke to him over QQ so can't give you the exact quote, I dont know how to bring back past conversations over QQ. But lets look at what he said to you:

" there will be have big than 5 sats when the AP start to work .
if the gps singal is not well , and the sats is less than 5 , you need switch to manual to back landing ."

Now my interpretation on the above passage is different from yours. He didnt say that the system would override RTH instruction if the sats were less than 5. He said "you need switch to manual to back landing". Surely the copter couldnt engage in automatic back landing when flying in manual mode. He means to say, if sat locks is below 5, just fly it back in manual mode. The original quote did not deny nor confirm about motors shutting off when engaging in RTH with sat locks less than 5.

But he did say to me that motors would shut off if I engage RTH with not enough sat locks. You surely got a point there that without adequate sat locks RTH should be disregarded by the system but surely not by shutting off motors. I would prefer the copter to engage in auto land, just like the original DJI Naza's low voltage failsafe.
LOL ... Yes there is no RTH in Manual mode. So, yes if there is less than 5 satellites, the only way to get back is in Manual mode. That is what he said and that is what I said. maybe not spelled out in so many words, but it is obvious.

However, I asked him if switching to RTH when there was less than 7 satellites would switch the motors off and he said that the only way the motors are going to shut down is if your angle is too high. Why don't you ask him again and see if he confirms what he said in his previous conversation, and post it here. At least then we can compare "answers".
Last edited by robone; Oct 26, 2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: More clarification
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, MN, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
Mag Cal

Can anyone tell me if the blue calibration is good enough ( the z axis is so hard to get right)
richkphoto is offline Find More Posts by richkphoto
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
Can anyone tell me if the blue calibration is good enough ( the z axis is so hard to get right)
I would do it again....if it was me. The 1st time I must have done it a good number of times, I was getting quite dizzy, but eventually, you get it quite circular. The red one looks good, and they do not have to be on top of each other.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
Thanx. The red one is easy, I found a used sit and spin (it's a kids toy), so I just set it on there it it comes out perfect every time, but the vertical axis is a paint to try and hold straight and add in 16mph wind gusts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Hi all,

I quote:

"the motors will cut out is when you have an angle of greater than 60deg for one second"

Don't believe it!

I had a strange thing happen to my hexa on 2 occasions and it flipped completely upside down, went FULL throttle for OVER 1sec and the motors did NOT shut off. Instead they cut holes in the dirt and mangled the props before I could get it shut down.

So for me they never shut off until I killed them. So beware.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post

And the answer:
"

Rob
ovnilab is offline Find More Posts by ovnilab
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Getting flight data off iPad?

Hello,.

Anyone know where the flight data file is on the ipad?

It is NOT where Zero says it is in the Apple GCS documentation. I know I have spent an hour trying to find it with no luck.

Thansk,
Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_westie View Post
Had a look at maximus-rc 's crash logs

http://youtu.be/v8_2yK5UGSc
Some strange stuff happening.
0:05 Throttle rises from 51 to 88.
Liftoff nose up. AI R4, U28
A few moments later, Manual servo position, goes bananas.
Throttle alternating between low and max, way too fast for manual stick movement.
FLIP

It looks like RX glitched.
Or YS failed to read the servo positions.
Have advised user to try a different RX.

http://youtu.be/6jp8-jDcNEg
0:03 some shake at liftoff. Max 26 across 3 samples.
Liftoff nose up.
Full forward applied as craft is now backing toward pilot.
0:06 Craft now starts leaning forward.
Over corrected?
Throttle dropped, possibly same glitch as before.
But since in Auto hover, it starts descending.
Makes ground contact, flip.

At some point in both videos the values for Servo position dissapera for 1 sample.
Video1, 0:07, Manual servo position, Aileron, R40 - Blank - R39

A video of these flights would be handy.

A second opinion would be appreciated.
ovnilab is offline Find More Posts by ovnilab
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
Were yo in manual mode 1 or 2 or GPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnilab View Post
Hi all,

I quote:

"the motors will cut out is when you have an angle of greater than 60deg for one second"

Don't believe it!

I had a strange thing happen to my hexa on 2 occasions and it flipped completely upside down, went FULL throttle for OVER 1sec and the motors did NOT shut off. Instead they cut holes in the dirt and mangled the props before I could get it shut down.

So for me they never shut off until I killed them. So beware.

Cheers!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:31 AM
Joined Aug 2012
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
I'd do it again, but I've flown accurately with worse. Let's face it, 9/10 issues in these forums are from inaccurate setups.
Salocin is online now Find More Posts by Salocin