SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:42 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Three of us with same conclusion probably means that is your issue.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD View Post
@kapteinkuk reading about rewriting the whole firmware I would like to propose if possible Altitude Hold function by using the Z axis acc ... Something like Height dampening should do , but maybe selective by switch? .. would that be possible?

A BIG THANKS for your work till now and upcoming!!!
Altitude hold is not possible just via the use of firmware. You would have to add a barometer to the KK2 so that it can know how high/low it is.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Can we presume you have double and triple checked your servo leads?
All leads were checked and double checked and that's the strange position because the other board was fine
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:52 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrobphoto View Post
In a mess after fiddling about! HELP HELP HELP!!
I suppose I should have left well alone BUT of course I thought maybe I could get my quad to fly a little better??
I bought two boards, set one up on a quad and got it flying reasonably well with and without the auto level (in fact I think it was better without!)
I read Shanes blog and looked at his videos and thought it looked as though the auto level seemed very successful.
As far as I know I downloaded his latest software onto a new board, went through the set up process, checked the sensors, calibrated them BUT when I looked at the receiver set-up AN ERROR APPEARED SAYING NO THROTTLE. I tried to go through the ESC calibration and that seemed OK but still NO THROTTLE.

Anybody any ideas - PLEASE

Ted
From time to time, I get this error message as well. I normally just unplug and replug the battery. This normally resovles the issue.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
From time to time, I get this error message as well. I normally just unplug and replug the battery. This normally resovles the issue.
Battery has been unplugged and plugged in a few times.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Battery has been unplugged and plugged in a few times.
Try this steps in this sequence:

1) Turn everything off
2) Turn on Transmitter
3) Turn on KK2

Sometimes, this is what I had to do to make the "No Throttle Input" message to go away.

[[Originally Posted by rcjose
Just as an FYI, with this new firmware you may see a "No throttle input" error if you are using a spektrum transmitter and an OrangeRX receiver. The error goes away if you power on the transmitter first and then the KK2 board. It has to be the delay in the binding process of the spektrum transmitters.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
LittleG rcjose,Del-Dredd Three of us with same conclusion probably means that is your issue.
Today 03:42 PM
TheFernMan Yup lol +1 on the other posts

SORRY, SORRY, SORRY GUYS

I have just "moved over" from 35 mhz to 2.4 ghz AND DIDN'T BIND THE RECEIVER after changing models on TX

Please forgive me for wasting time

Thank you all

Ted
Last edited by tedrobphoto; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
LittleG rcjose,Del-Dredd Three of us with same conclusion probably means that is your issue.
Today 03:42 PM
TheFernMan Yup lol +1 on the other posts

SORRY, SORRY, SORRY GUYS

I have just "moved over" from 35 mhz to 2.4 ghz AND DIDN'T BIND THE RECEIVER

Please forgive me for wasting time

Thank you all

Ted
No apology needed. Glad you got it worked it out. Now go fly that puppy and have some fun!!!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:04 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
938 Posts
Quote:
Hi there, searching the thread didn't find any extensive reference on Height Dampening... Has anyone tried it with success? How is it set up?

Thanks in advance!
Well I read up on this and found somewhere that said to set it at 10/10. That's where I have mine set. I have not been out to a large field yet to do some Fast Forward Flight (FFF) to see how it works but I am having no issues flying in the yard. You do understand that it only is effective during turns while flying forward and acts to assist in holding altitude. It helps but does not work at all in a hover.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Well I read up on this and found somewhere that said to set it at 10/10. That's where I have mine set. I have not been out to a large field yet to do some Fast Forward Flight (FFF) to see how it works but I am having no issues flying in the yard. You do understand that it only is effective during turns while flying forward and acts to assist in holding altitude. It helps but does not work at all in a hover.

Sudsy
good stuff sudsy! I think it was me who said 10/10 is what i have mine set at. I like it at that but personal preference is always a factor.

I talk about it it here
KK2.0 F450 Late night flying. (11 min 23 sec)

cheers
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
GSD
Productions
Greece
Joined Oct 2012
236 Posts
Quote:

Sudsy
Yeah i have read them too.. but testing by keeping it in hand i can understand that it can also "dump" wind forces that change altitude... till now i am afraid to check on flight.. with high values 30/30 sometimes seems to get crazy!
GSD is offline Find More Posts by GSD
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:12 PM
GSD
Productions
Greece
Joined Oct 2012
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Altitude hold is not possible just via the use of firmware. You would have to add a barometer to the KK2 so that it can know how high/low it is.
But height dampening is almost doing the same.. or not? Suppose that you have this parameter in a switch.. when on, if you are level at a specific height it will read the Z axis acceleration and any change + or - for a given time can calculate speed and height deviation, so it will give opposite power with same(oposite) parameters... result= stable height!... am i wrong?

Barometer is needed to read the approximate height.. but i am talking about stable height whatever is it...
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
938 Posts
Quote:
But height dampening is almost doing the same.. or not? Suppose that you have this parameter in a switch.. when on, if you are level at a specific height it will read the Z axis acceleration and any change + or - for a given time can calculate speed and height deviation, so it will give opposite power with same(oposite) parameters... result= stable height!... am i wrong?

Barometer is needed to read the approximate height.. but i am talking about stable height whatever is it...
The advanced boards use SONAR for this. This is after all just a $29 control board. I think it works just fine for the money. Baro alt hold in a real airplane has a lot of dampening and cannot actually hold a steady altitude it averages out to make a smooth ride. in a hover for helo's it is almost useless. Your static port would have to be out of and away from any prop wash and not located too closely above the props as it would measure the reduced air pressure created by the props. For precise altitude hold they use a radar altimeter (RADALT). Same idea as SONAR but longer range (up to 5000 ft.) SONAR is used by the advanced boards ($400 units) primarily for soft landings.

There's a lot more to it but that's it in a nutshell.

I tested helicopter avionics for over 20 years. Aircraft avionics for about 36 years total.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:32 PM
GSD
Productions
Greece
Joined Oct 2012
236 Posts
That's why i said about Z acceleration .. i know this is a cheap board, i know barometer is not precise... My only concern is the limited size of memory.... With simple physics as i wrote above i think its possible to achieve some kind of stable Altitude...its not needed to 'understand' at which height it is.. its only needed to NOT move on that axis when enabled
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
The advanced boards use SONAR for this. This is after all just a $29 control board. I think it works just fine for the money. Baro alt hold in a real airplane has a lot of dampening and cannot actually hold a steady altitude it averages out to make a smooth ride. in a hover for helo's it is almost useless. Your static port would have to be out of and away from any prop wash and not located too closely above the props as it would measure the reduced air pressure created by the props. For precise altitude hold they use a radar altimeter (RADALT). Same idea as SONAR but longer range (up to 5000 ft.) SONAR is used by the advanced boards ($400 units) primarily for soft landings.

There's a lot more to it but that's it in a nutshell.

I tested helicopter avionics for over 20 years. Aircraft avionics for about 36 years total.

Sudsy
And of course, the barometer works better in conjunction with a GPS I prefer a barometer over sonar as sonar is only effective up to a few feet off the ground.

With the firmware getting revamped to C and the possibility of having specific hex files for specific multirotor configs, that will save space and functions can be added. It would be nice to see OEM hardware add-ons for the KK2. I am sure they can be done easily with some custom firmware.

P.S.

Boards with that feature do not have to cost $400.00 like the naza.

TimeCop @ abusemark.com has a barometer enabled board (Afro Naze32) for about $70.00 US. The Rabbit FC from GooddLuckBuy has both barometer and sonar and has an add-on board for additional functions for $85.00 US.
Last edited by rcjose; Oct 25, 2012 at 03:06 PM.