New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2015, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by burkefj
Joined Oct 2006
2,543 Posts
Discussion
X-20 DynaSoar/Titan II stack Success

I got a chance this last weekend to fly my Titan II/DynaSoar stack and had a great flight. This is using depron centering rings, stringers and sheeting over a 29mm center tube with a pml 4" by 10" parachute bay. Just three plywood centering rings, one for the thrust plate and one for the upper recovery attachment and one to anchor the carbon guide rods. I also mount the primary rail guides to these centering rings. It uses altus metrum easy mini altimeter to fire the deployment and has a magnet held access door. The glider is 30" long and 9 oz rtf with RC equipment, and can fly standalone with an E-6, or as boosted glider on this stack. The idea was to keep the booster weight low enough to allow a low thrust H motor and keep the speed to under 150 fps and avoid shredding the glider. the parachute compartment has a sort of piston cap that pushes the glider off and pulls the chute out. All balast weight is inside the upper shroud so that the nose piston is not a heavy object to do damage to the booster if it makes contact. The foam fins are carbon reinforced for landing loads. It was a real challenge and I had to count every ounce to make it be structurally strong under boost/recovery but still have decent liftoff speed. I used a 12' rail to ensure 60fps exit speed.
Given all that could have gone wrong I'm amazed it worked as well as it did. Glider uses reversed elevon movement to give pitch control on boost(actually worked and was not overly sensitive) and then switched to up trim and normal movement direction for glide. Overall weight is 75oz rtf with H97, glider etc.

Titan II Highpower Rocket with Dyna-Soar RC glider flight (1 min 37 sec)

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Joined Aug 2007
468 Posts
Frank,

Thatís fantastic! Very nicely done.

X30
X30PILOT is online now Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Jun 20, 2015, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by burkefj
Joined Oct 2006
2,543 Posts
It wasn't a fluke, flights 2 and 3 this weekend.

Thanks, and it wasn't a fluke....I got in two more great flights today, another on an H-97 that was perfect, and one on an H-115 DM that was a bit fast for my taste, the stack had just a bit of roll, but no damage, the booster recovered fine, the glider ejected fine but was flying tail heavy for some reason, I finally got it trimmed for an ok glide and when I picked it up it was rattling, turns out my 1/4 ounce nose weight had popped loose when the glider ejected and had fallen back to the tail, so I just need to glue it back at the nose.

Very cool.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj