SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2015, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by simmler
United States, CA, Santa Margarita
Joined Dec 2007
217 Posts
There is an annular opening around the spinner. ~ 1/8" on the bottom tapering to ~ 1/32" on top. The hole for the motor wires allows air movement through the fuselage to a hole in the rear of the fuselage. There is ample room to enlarge the entry, passage, and exit holes if needed. I fly in summer temperatures well above 100 deg. I keep my motor runs below 30 seconds (200 meters in ~ 24 seconds) and so far have not had a problem.
simmler is online now Find More Posts by simmler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2015, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by n0irw
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
221 Posts
Great! Thanks for the post and photos....the finished plane looks great!
n0irw is online now Find More Posts by n0irw
Old Jun 23, 2015, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by n0irw
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
221 Posts
I've got a new Oly III fuse on the way and will be electrifying it. I'll continue this thread with this part of the project. I'm putting a Turnigy G25 outrunner on it with a 14x7 folder...(same prop as on the E-Flite Mystique. Also using the E-Flite 60A ESC.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by n0irw
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
221 Posts
While I await the fuse, what do you guys think about down thrust and/or right thrust in the motor??
Old Jun 24, 2015, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by n0irw
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
221 Posts
I do know the fuse sides are about 5/16" to narrow at the nose block to keep the motor between the sides. The first former is also a little narrow. In looking at widening the front end to allow the motor between the sides so I can streamline the nose a little. Also may have to turn the servo tray around and shorten it in order to get the battery in. The speed control will fit the forward compartment or I may move the #1 former back to allow the battery tisitdirectly behind the motor. Any comments??
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by n0irw
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
221 Posts
The fuse will be here today, but I've got to work out a few things before I start on more than the tail feathers......like the questions above.....come on guys, give me some feedback!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by pnubtrnjly
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Sep 2013
19 Posts
Oly III !

n0irw did you buy just a fuse kit to modify so maybe have one conventional one electric?
I havent read all this thread so apologise if my question is redundant.
How about a bottom side photo of the Teal please.
Tom

Missed the Stillwater fly last year. Promise to do better.
pnubtrnjly is offline Find More Posts by pnubtrnjly
Last edited by pnubtrnjly; Jun 25, 2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Reply
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by n0irw
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
221 Posts
Yes, I bought the Fuse kit to modify then I can fly it either way. I'll try to get a shot of the teal in the next couple of days Did you make it up to our glider fun fly last year at Stillwater??
Old Jun 26, 2015, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by simmler
United States, CA, Santa Margarita
Joined Dec 2007
217 Posts
Regarding motor thrust angles......................
The Olys I have flown, both Airtronics II and Ray Hayes II & III, all have excellent pitch & yaw/roll control inherent in their design. Areas and moments allow for trimming for a wide range of speeds, including during powered climb. That said, and being basically lazy, I installed the firewall in mine at ~ 3 degrees down and ~1 degree right thrust, and still use a very small amount of down elevator (<3/32") electronically mixed in with full throttle application. The airplanes are sensitive enough while climbing to tell you it needs slightly more down pushed when using a fresh charged battery, or when pushing the Center of Balance back a little at a time. Built straight and balanced properly, obtaining perfect motor thrust angles might not be worth the effort to find them in a very fun-very forgiving- very capable sport airplane.
I'm enjoying your process, and suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised with your version.
simmler is online now Find More Posts by simmler
Old Jun 26, 2015, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by n0irw
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmler View Post
Regarding motor thrust angles......................
The Olys I have flown, both Airtronics II and Ray Hayes II & III, all have excellent pitch & yaw/roll control inherent in their design. Areas and moments allow for trimming for a wide range of speeds, including during powered climb. That said, and being basically lazy, I installed the firewall in mine at ~ 3 degrees down and ~1 degree right thrust, and still use a very small amount of down elevator (<3/32") electronically mixed in with full throttle application. The airplanes are sensitive enough while climbing to tell you it needs slightly more down pushed when using a fresh charged battery, or when pushing the Center of Balance back a little at a time. Built straight and balanced properly, obtaining perfect motor thrust angles might not be worth the effort to find them in a very fun-very forgiving- very capable sport airplane.
I'm enjoying your process, and suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised with your version.
Thank you for the input....I'm going to mount the motor between the sides, so have to widen it about 5/16" give or take.