SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by malcolmm
Joined Jan 2005
642 Posts
I just had another of my Thunder Power 5000 6s 45C lipos experience a cell failure. In this case it was a G8 series that I got as one of four replacement lipos when four out of eight of my G6 lipos of the same size puffed. I won't be trying to get a warranty replacement in this case because it is 2.5 years since I bought the original lipos.

In this case I noticed that the resistance of one cell was 3 to 5 times the other cells (15 versus 3 to 5). The lipo is about 18 months old and had less than 50 cycles. When charging the lipo I found that the high resistance cell would charge (and discharge) much faster than the other cells causing the lipo to get very badly out of balance. Needless to say I discharged and disposed of the lipo.

So now the score is four puffed and two failed cell TP lipos. Plus two lipos with 100 cycles that I am retiring because they are worn out. Based on the performance of these lipos I would call them all seconds and based on their resistance values I would say they are at best true 30C lipos.

I have purchased more HK lipos over the years than TP lipos and yet I've had far more failures with TP lipos. Really pathetic given the price difference.
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by MCSGUY
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
3,021 Posts
TP is one of those suppliers which grades their product to determine the lower performing cells which are then labeled "45C". Otherwise they are, in the case of the G8's accorded the "70C" title . My testing revealed the main difference between the G6 and G8 is the G6's would fail at a sustained ~32C because the 4mm split pack connector would desolder and the G8 would start to self destruct at 35C. You might get a dozen cycles out of the 7700 packs at that level but the relatively small cell tab width makes it inevitable one will share my experience if you take the labeling at face value and try operating a 180A Schubie DS94: (ref #585)http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...767093&page=39

Joe
MCSGUY is online now Find More Posts by MCSGUY