HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:07 PM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Don't have mine yet but just wondering if one could remove the tail wheel, add a simple skid, still get fairly descent steering as power comes up thereby really lightening that tail?
Dan

PS I'm thinking just a stiff wire tail skid!
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:13 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Not worth it I think, ground handling is bad enough as it is.

If you want to get CG forward (which I think you need to do) the best way to do it is to move the ESC into the nose section. That will move its weight forward, allow for better cooling, and at the same time allow you to move the battery to the very front inside the fuse. Here's one way to do it:

I repowered the bird with a RCtimer 2836/7 spinning a 9x6 or 10x4 prop but the same conversion can be done with the stock power system. On the underside of the nose I cut away some foam and epoxied the ESC onto the resulting pad. I drilled a tunnel through the foam from there at an upwards angle to end in the cavity for the wires inside the fuselage. This is easily done with a 10mm metal tube that I sharpened at one end. Push and turn it to cut the tunnel into the foam, much neater than drilling. The foam cowl received an air hole at the rear to let out the warm air around the ESC and still fits over everything to look stock.

With this setup and a 20C Turnigy 2200 3s battery CG will be right underneath the plastic wing struts which is good.
4x4rc is online now Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Dec 2009
16 Posts
My Ryan STA

igel is offline Find More Posts by igel
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,441 Posts
Igel the paint scheme on your ryan looks awsome! Not alot of info on this bird on this thread and elsewere. I bought mine in jan and maiden it today.In setting up the plane i found it very tail heavy as others have.I used a turnigy 1800mah,35-45c batt that weighs 159g's and pushed it all the way foward.but i also put about 40g's of weight under the cowl.The plane flew alittle nose heavy,needing about 3clicks of elevator up trim. I can easily remove 6g's of weight,then center the elevator trim and then see what happens.Roll out and take off were great and the ryan flew pretty good(i was really suprised-my expectations were not very high because of some of the comments i herd here.As a matter of fact i was expecting to be picking up foam all over the field!)THE LANDING-yep come in with some power or the elevator looses all authority about two feet off the deck.No damage though.I DIDN'T TOUCH THE ESC TO SEE IF IT WAS HOT AFTER MY 5MIN FLIGHT.I stayed on low rates thrughout the maiden but could tell that even on low rates the ailerons had some authority.NEXT FLIGHT what the heck if things go well i'll corkscrew it through the sky on high rates! Anyways, let's get some postings on this thread-good flying mates-kevin
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:30 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,119 Posts
Igel, awesome job on this ST-Ryan!
I was looking at this one several times, but found the cockpit (no window) a bit pitty.
But...with a bit of creative work it all looks much better you did proof!

What paint did you use?

Rob
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,441 Posts
Treediver got anything to share about your experience setting up and flying the ryan in question?I'm interested as there is not too much postings on this thread and info. available elsewhere-thanks kevin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:14 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,119 Posts
I do not have one yet. It keeps on getting my attention and Igel did a great job adding scale details.
There is little information indeed. According to the wingspan, I would expect indeed more 1800mAh battery instead of 1300mAh that you can see listed.
I have several 1meter planes. My guess that this one, is great if it is not too windy. It looks great and I would start with adding a plastic cockpit window...and ad a pilot
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,441 Posts
Yes sir a plastic winshield is at the top of my to do list after afew more trim flights-kevin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Sounds good on the maiden Kevin. I've basically given up on the plane. Even with a lot of changes I have made I have been unable to make it fly the way I would like it to. I guess it's fair to say it and I just don't get along.

Treediver is quite right in assuming it doesn't like wind. Which we get a lot of around here. Hey, BTW you're in my neck of the woods!

One of my main dislikes are the vicious tipstalls which resulted in the most recent crash. It's been sitting in my storage rack since then while I debate whether to pull the electronics and just scrap the airframe. Which I'll probably end up doing.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:41 PM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,119 Posts
4x4rc............jip you are 26km close....so the wind, we have that too here in Limburg!

Still for summer evenings, this is a great plane IMO. Scale looking....and it is on my shortlist of purchases
I have also 1meter Piper Cub (EPO) of HK. With 2s 1000mah fun to fly. But also...if there is not too much wind.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:20 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
One of my main dislikes are the vicious tipstalls which resulted in the most recent crash. It's been sitting in my storage rack since then while I debate whether to pull the electronics and just scrap the airframe. Which I'll probably end up doing.
Sadly, I agree. I purchased mine used from someone with similar problems, but I'm not a good enough flyer to overcome them. My only thought is to "fly very fast all the time" and then land in the copious tall weeds next to our field!
I guess I can also try one of the new stabilizers (FY-20A or upcoming Eagle Tree guardian, for example.) There's not a lot of space inside for extra electronics, so it would have to be mounted without its "trapeze."

And yes, use a bigger battery just to get the cg moved forward.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,441 Posts
Thank you gents for your input on the ryan-if you google hobby king ryan sta epo and then pull up vid you'll find a guy from somewhere in the far east(?) who did just an amazing job flying this plane CHECK IT OUT really found it impressive,i'll check out the guy's handel and see if he's got a blog on rcg and then pm him for tips and info. I'd like to have continued success with this plane but if i smoke it into the ground - oh well live and learn. -kevin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:58 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
My micro Ryan...66 grams with batt AUW...Jarel Design short kit combined with micro T-28 gear makes it fly.

The float kit was free, so it was just for fun/looks and not functional.
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
That is a micro?!?

Blows my mind. Wow! I found Jarel's thread and I have a Trojan donor ready to go as well.

Thanks for showing this!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,441 Posts
cool micro ryan and popeye with a can of spinage? awsome dude!
RCG Plus Member