HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
Discussion
De'but Embryo

I thought I'd show off my just completed De'but Embryo, from the Easybuilt laser cut kit. Here are some glamour shots. The wrinkly sheet is my attempt to get an uncluttered background.

I will add notes to this thread as I trim it out and fly it. Maybe it will be some help for anyone who builds this model in the future

The kit went together very well; everything about it is top quality. I built a couple of printwood Easybuilt kits years ago and the quality seems much improved now. The wood is very good quality, and also very light. In fact I broke the 1/32" wing ribs quite a few times while framing them. Then after covering I broke some again handling the wing... at that point I set that wing aside and built another wing using my own heavier wood. Usually I strive for lightness but I guess I'm willing to take the extra weight for a structure that will hold up a little better. Also, the second wing has laminated tips.
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Last edited by pburress; Today at 12:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
Here it is in the storage box. The stabilizer and fin are secured to flat sheets during storage. Hopefully this will avoid warps. The wing is secured against some 6mm depron.

One thing that's a little different with this design is the airfoiled fin. It's not symmetrical but uses a flat bottom airfoil. The flat side is against the balsa sheet in this picture.

The horizontal stabilizer is also airfoiled; a lifting stab.

The airframe weighs 21.5g so I calculated 28% of this and made up a 6g motor using two loops of 3/32", braided.

There's no CG point indicated on the plans so I'm off to search for other builds of this model to see what I can find. I saw that it was going to be nose heavy so I moved the pylons up a little bit. It's balancing close to the main spar right now and I suspect I will still want to go back from there. A balsa prop will be lighter and I have some blanks. Mabye this will be my first foray into carving a prop.
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburress View Post
... I guess I'm willing to take the extra weight for a structure that will hold up a little better.
Very nicely done!

I find myself, without fail, coming to the same conclusion on almost everything I build!

I've had this kit in my cart more than once, but so far it has gotten bumped for other more needed items - limited funds, ya know. I'll get it sooner or later, so please do share your trimming process.

CD
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
Thanks CD. No the aft DT is not an issue, since the airplane is currently nose heavy! I like the DT design. It's very simple and works well.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
Yeah, sorry about that question. It took me too long to get the post up, and once I did, I saw your next post. Hope you're able to get out with it soon!
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb