HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:21 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
You are making my point for me- we all seem to know what HK is not able to know.

I gave HK the exact model number, and they pointed me at parts for a 6mm shaft motor.

So, no, this is not getting stupid. This is not about looking up parts on HKs site. This is about HKs fundamental inability to provide even basic information about their own brand of product, even to themselves.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:04 AM
Heli nut
Australia, WA, Wembley Downs
Joined May 2005
434 Posts
Cs isn't 'TECH SUPPORT' as everyone has tried to tell you......

They are there for Transaction, DOA & shipping issues only.

What does the 'J' stand for one your 6203 2 Rubber sealed bearing? Neither NSK, NTN or Timken list a 6203-2RSJ

P.s Subaru Nutter here!
Trexmad is offline Find More Posts by Trexmad
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexmad View Post
Cs isn't 'TECH SUPPORT' as everyone has tried to tell you......

They are there for Transaction, DOA & shipping issues only.

What does the 'J' stand for one your 6203 2 Rubber sealed bearing? Neither NSK, NTN or Timken list a 6203-2RSJ

P.s Subaru Nutter here!
I don't consider even knowing whether a part will fit or not to be tech support, that's applications.

Anyway, that part number is for the NAPA brand bearing, 6203 is the size, and the "2" in "2RSJ" means it has a seal on both sides, and the rest I have no idea.

I get all my subie info over at subaruoutback.org or ultimatesubaru.org (USMB)
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Heh, they can't tell me specs on their own in-house brands, and can't tell me what prop adapter will fit, don't know the difference between a collet and a bolt-on adapter, and recc a 6mm collet for an 8mm shaft.

But, it's like going to the dollar store and complaining the socket set is not as strong as snap-on's...

I bought a plane with a turnigy motor on it, but I have to say I'll think long and hard about buying a turnigy motor new, not because of problems with the motor but because I have to tear it apart to figure out the bearing sizes, and I'll probably have to buy a hatfull of prop adapters to find one that fits.
I agree, HK should provide the basic information you are looking for, but they don't. I see products on their site that don't even list the most basic specs you need in order to determine if it meets your needs. It's often left up to the customer to hunt down this basic information. You see it all the time, customers asking in the product discussions, what's this or that dimension. Often conflicting specs are given and then you don't know what's right or wrong. It's a joke.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:09 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
I don't consider even knowing whether a part will fit or not to be tech support, that's applications.
Would you call tower hobbies customer service to see if a Great planes rimfire motor will fit in a plane? No, you call technical support because the problem is with the products, not the sales.
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:14 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
I agree, HK should provide the basic information you are looking for, but they don't. I see products on their site that don't even list the most basic specs you need in order to determine if it meets your needs. It's often left up to the customer to hunt down this basic information. You see it all the time, customers asking in the product discussions, what's this or that dimension. Often conflicting specs are given and then you don't know what's right or wrong. It's a joke.
I was wondering when you were going to drop in. Good to see you chime in. Anyways, I definitely agree with both of you- and that's why I'm advocating that anyone that needs that level of support buy and support your LHS or prestigious vendors that cater to "red carpet" cs. Yes. that will cost you 5x's-100x's more, but you'll be happy , and we'll have less unhappy threads here on RCG.

I've tried in the past, and I know for sure I couldn't get that level of support from any of these guys:

hobbypartz,
nitroplanes
bananahobby
advantage hobby

hobbypartz even told me to go google the manufacture and get it from them. nice one! might I add, hobbypartz is a USA vendor.

I haven't tried hobby-lobby, but maybe try them, they're a great vendor.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor_Racer View Post
Would you call tower hobbies customer service to see if a Great planes rimfire motor will fit in a plane? No, you call technical support because the problem is with the products, not the sales.
I would call the appropriate department if there was one.

Anyone know the other names that motor is marketed under?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Stating the vendor should have a very basic knowledge about product *built for them and sold exclusively by them* is a far, far, far, far lower level of expectation than 'red carpet' customer service.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:12 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,843 Posts
Quote:
Stating the vendor should have a very basic knowledge about product *built for them and sold exclusively by them* is a far, far, far, far lower level of expectation than 'red carpet' customer service.
well, then I guess that locks you out of all these vendors and probably 90% of the others as well:

hobbypartz,
nitroplanes
bananahobby
advantage hobby
HobbyKing

Because I've tried and I know for sure these can't provide any real info other than what listed on their site. And no, none will go to their warehouse and pull stuff out to measure for you. Like I said, maybe hobby-lobby, and definitely your LHS. Those will be your best bet. Shop your LHS, and be happy . Life is too short to shop at non-reputable vendors.

oh BTW - as far as spektrum (HH) goes, they can't either. But they will tell you to send it in.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
For some of their products, yes, it does lock me out.

Let me put it this way- it was easier for me to figure out info for an Infinite Hobbies motor, and they'd been out of business awhile!
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:20 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
Quote:
*built for them and sold exclusively by them*.
Maybe not.......
Look familiar? Maybe you can find a bearing from this vendor. Ask him that question on his ebay item.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMP-SK-5055-...item2a2054d061
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:52 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,843 Posts
Quote:
For some of their products, yes, it does lock me out.

Let me put it this way- it was easier for me to figure out info for an Infinite Hobbies motor, and they'd been out of business awhile!
That's good Dave. I'm not trying to blast you or start a pissing match, but I see so many of the same things day in/day out where people know exactly what HK is, and what their CS is capable and not capable of...and yet they roll the dice and buy anyways,...and if something happens, it's the end of the world.

If you look through my postings, I'm a big supporter of HK, but I know HK isn't perfect and they'll make you jump through 10 hoops that barely fits the ball if something goes wrong (you know like those hoops at them fairs). Anyways, I know this, and I expect this and through about 75+ orders now, I'm still happy. I gotta admit, they aren't perfect, but they have resolved to my satisfaction.

And this is what I'm trying to get across. People need to accept this before they buy from a high quantity/low priced vendor, otherwise, if they can't accept this, don't buy and yes, your LHS is your best friend.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:52 AM
United States, NV, Verdi-Mogul
Joined Mar 2012
19 Posts
There are 3 things that most customers want in this market:
Cheap price
Great support
Great quality

The reality is that you can only have 2. If you want great support and quality then it'll cost you. If you want a cheap price and a quality product then you're in luck if you don't need tech support. If you need quality and support then it won't be cheap.

HK offers superb value for money on quality items, but at the expense of support. I think it's been said several times, but I'll say it again... if you're looking for support then HK isn't for you. No matter how much you whine about it this won't change.

If you need support then pop down to your LHS and suck up prices between 400 and 1000% for equivilent parts.

Frankly their prices are so low that there's usually no point in replacement bearings/shafts as a new motor is usually cheaper than most other vendors parts!

It's all down to business model. I'll stick with HK for most of my stuff as they're amazing value for money. Sure, they mess up - this week I had a HORRIBLE live chat experience that left me livid, but after a quick twitter post, facebook post, and an email to support I had their attention and they fixed everything promptly and to an extent when my expectations were exceeded considerably.

I accept that they're not perfect, but they're hella cheap, and that's the concession that I accept. If you can accept this then shop elsewhere, I don't think it could be more simple!
henkster is offline Find More Posts by henkster
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I can get quality bearings from BOCA for far less than the cost of another motor.

And, basic information on a product that is essentially their own is not 'support', it's the minimum required. I bet if they had a minimal clue about their own brand of product, 75% of the support complaints would go away, and it would cost no more than keeping a friggen' file on each product (which I'm sure they already have, just needs a little more info).
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I can get quality bearings from BOCA for far less than the cost of another motor.

And, basic information on a product that is essentially their own is not 'support', it's the minimum required. I bet if they had a minimal clue about their own brand of product, 75% of the support complaints would go away, and it would cost no more than keeping a friggen' file on each product (which I'm sure they already have, just needs a little more info).