HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:32 AM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITPUP View Post
Ok question to everyone . what is the best way to maintain access to the lift fan motor should it be needed ?. Once the rear area construction is complete it appears that it is all sealed and no access is available. how have you all approached this issue ?. Cheers.
I thought about that for a while and ended up having the entire top of the craft removable. The cabin has two tougues at the front that slot into the front of the craft and there are two clips at the rear. Makes access a pleasure.
ChrisCurry is offline Find More Posts by ChrisCurry
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:40 AM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITPUP View Post
Ok question to everyone . what is the best way to maintain access to the lift fan motor should it be needed ?. Once the rear area construction is complete it appears that it is all sealed and no access is available. how have you all approached this issue ?. Cheers.
I thought about that for a while and ended up having the entire top of the craft removable. The cabin has two tougues at the front that slot into the front of the craft and there are two clips at the rear. Makes access a pleasure.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:02 AM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
Justa few comments on what worked for me with the fan. I removed the circlip from the back of my motor so i can just grab the fan and pull it off along with the motors bell when needed as i bolted the fan directly to the bell. I had the craft on its side and put the fan back and the shaft only went a few mm into the top bearing. When i let go it turned and thats when i saw it needed balancing. A few small washers and some cyno later, the fan seemed to be balanced. It is now very smooth in operation so although not dynamically balanced, its good enough.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:58 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCurry View Post
Any chance of a pic of this please?
JeremyBB is offline Find More Posts by JeremyBB
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:28 AM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
I'll post wednesday. Its a long weekend in s.africa so am away
Old May 01, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
Wonder why my Egde Hovercraft sinks in the front? Leak? Battery loosin power? Any ideas for powering up the 9.v NiCd?
Mike Avans is offline Find More Posts by Mike Avans
Old May 02, 2012, 06:52 AM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Avans View Post
Wonder why my Egde Hovercraft sinks in the front? Leak? Battery loosin power? Any ideas for powering up the 9.v NiCd?
Does it sink under power or when stationary?
Old May 02, 2012, 12:16 PM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
Here is my hovercraft and deck. Nice hey!Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335975400.199024.jpg
Views: 164
Size: 64.2 KB
Description:
Old May 02, 2012, 01:17 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
247 Posts
Very neat! But where is the motor which drives the impeller - in the removable section or is it below the impeller?

A few more pics of my progress below. Tail fins and ailerons now in place - made from Balsa covered with 0.6oz/m2 fibreglass cloth coated with Eze-Kote water-based resin. Hinges for the lifting front door also fixed on.

I saw the original Hovertravel SR.N6 at Hoverworld 2012 in Lee-on-Solent last weekend. Still very impressive although you have to be short to stand upright in the cabin! If anyone wants pics, I could post these on the site or PM me with an e-mail address.
Old May 02, 2012, 02:58 PM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335985005.115282.jpg
Views: 181
Size: 74.7 KB
Description:

Here you go. Fan simply attached straight onto the motor. It got a little warm so i glued 2 pieces of wood next to the motor vents and they work!
Old May 02, 2012, 03:01 PM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
JeremyBB i would love to see the pics. I went on one in my youth - around 1969 - and don't remember much about the size of the craft but what a trip!
Old May 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
247 Posts
The SR.N6 is in a warehouse, so the pictures are inevitably close-up. However, they do show some detail useful to modellers and there are many pics of an SR.N6 in operation, including the one at the start of this thread.
Old May 02, 2012, 05:24 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
247 Posts
More pics from the museum
Old May 03, 2012, 10:50 AM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
That is fantastic! Looks like a stretched version as well. A 12 window single prop. And in the 6th picture is the edge of the lift fan. The blade angle looks less than my 45 degrees. Interesting!
Last edited by ChrisCurry; May 03, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old May 08, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Nov 2011
29 Posts
Anymore model pics to share guys ??
PITPUP is offline Find More Posts by PITPUP