HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:17 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
426 Posts
I was really hoping the next PZ would be something totally different, not an improved version. Oh well, still pretty neat. However, why no brushless in these micro planes?
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2010, 02:27 PM
Trinity,Florida
Joined Nov 2009
26 Posts
yeah i know and the aileron sevo isnt the long throw one why not install that for the aileron maybe the next one might be an ultra micro brushless with full longthrow servos with an lcd transmitter
Chopperboy5 is offline Find More Posts by Chopperboy5
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:09 PM
Pilot Error
Ireland, Co Leitrim
Joined Feb 2008
107 Posts
I see they are using the prop from the micro p-51!!! that alone is a very good thing imo.
strides72 is offline Find More Posts by strides72
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:19 AM
Joined Mar 2009
238 Posts
OK, so if you had an original Sukhoi, from about a year ago, if you put in a Mustang motor and prop, you might see some dramatic performance improvements? With a 180 mAh battery?

I find that mine flys too fast. I'd like to build a new, thicker wing but I've been trying to get some 1mm Depron from a source that doesn't demand that you buy a lifetime supply and pay great gobs of cash for shipping and handling. Heck, you could buy 1/32" plywood x 2 and sandwich the Depron in between and stuff it into a shipping envelope. Pay for the ply and shipping shouldn't be THAT much, should it?
Andy-W is offline Find More Posts by Andy-W
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:19 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-W View Post
OK, so if you had an original Sukhoi, from about a year ago, if you put in a Mustang motor and prop, you might see some dramatic performance improvements? With a 180 mAh battery?
Not just an original. Any current UM Sukhoi. None of the current versions (short or long battery slot) have the P-51 motor/prop in stock form. This has been well-documented. The P-51 motor/GWS 5043 prop/Hyperion 25c combo will take the Sukhoi from just over 1:1 thrust-to-weight ratio to around 1.4:1. A quality battery is required for this level of performance. The Hyperion G3 CX 180 mAh 25c/5c is about the minimum for max RPM. On the 5043 prop, mine went from 5900 RPM on the stock motor to 6400 RPM on the P-512 motor. Here's my vertical performance demo of a V2 Sukhoi w/P-51 motor, GWS 5043 prop, and a Hyperion 240 mAh 25c/5c cell. AUW is 35.85g.

ParkZone UM Sukhoi + P-51 Motor - Vertical Performance Demo (4 min 26 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:30 AM
Joined Mar 2009
238 Posts
Thanks Joel. Going to get me that motor and prop. I've also read that the motor from the MSR heli is also a good upgrade as long as you re-use the original pinion.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 02:18 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-W View Post
Thanks Joel. Going to get me that motor and prop. I've also read that the motor from the MSR heli is also a good upgrade as long as you re-use the original pinion.
Andy,

Good luck! Be sure to order some Hyperion batteries for that setup. She really comes alive with a quality, conservatively-rated 25c battery - like the Hyperion G3 CX 180 or 240 mAh cells.

I flew about 20 packs through mine today. She's even stronger, now. Sustained inside and outside knife-edge circles are now possible at ~80% throttle! On the 240 mAh Hyperion, the vertical is still strong @ 7 minutes into the flight, and @ 10 minutes into the flight, she will hover @ 100% throttle.

On the Hyperion 180, she really screams! Flight-time is shorter; however the increased performance due to the reduced AUW is very noticeable.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2010, 02:42 AM
Joined Mar 2009
238 Posts
Hi Joel,

Hyperion it is, then. Thanks again.

Now, if I could only find some 1mm Depron ,,,,
Old Mar 22, 2010, 03:06 AM
yes my thermal gogles are on
Ocala,Fla
Joined Jan 2009
335 Posts
i just ordered 2 of the hyperions about 2 hours ago lets see when they get here im usin a stock battery that came with the sukhoi and a 150 e flite pack hope to see the difference u guys have talked about
Roy!! is offline Find More Posts by Roy!!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:27 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,244 Posts
I have the first ones and I painted llight blue on top half of the fuze and the bottom kept white and then I painted the wings and tail feathers yellow. I then "re-enforced" the stabilizer like they did with a 0.050 cf rod, put in the mustang motor, and a GWS5043 prop. So what is so "new " about this one??? PZ just read the mode site on the SU and picked up the idea and now sell as a "new" and "improved" mmmmmm Good to see that thye're watching what we do and "learn" what we like. Now PZ make some more WW11 planes and some Golden age racers and planes. OK????
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:55 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
Anyone get one yet?
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:01 AM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
I have the first ones and I painted llight blue on top half of the fuze and the bottom kept white and then I painted the wings and tail feathers yellow. I then "re-enforced" the stabilizer like they did with a 0.050 cf rod, put in the mustang motor, and a GWS5043 prop. So what is so "new " about this one??? PZ just read the mode site on the SU and picked up the idea and now sell as a "new" and "improved" mmmmmm Good to see that thye're watching what we do and "learn" what we like. Now PZ make some more WW11 planes and some Golden age racers and planes. OK????
Don't forget about the new AR6400L servos!
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol