SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:41 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,500 Posts
Discussion
autos on bigger helis..

hey everyone. just starting to learn to use throttle hold on touchdown from a hover when going in. boy i tell ya, them bigger blades sure give you quite a lift!!

i'm still very twitchy with this function and sometimes i engage the switch and heli starts to drop and i over-collect and that thing bounces up into the air, i let go, then rabbit jump again as i touch the ground like 6 feet up and finally on the final touchdown i use most of the pitch. sound is great!!

it's unbelievable how much lift these bigger blades keep. i manage to do 2-3 rabbit bounces and still can come down very soft...well, with my clumsiness of course. and i don't have that much full pitch as is...it's like you know....normal.

on my 450, blades stop in like an instant, but on the 600, they just keep spinning

do you end your flight with an auto...? probably a very good skill to acquirei went in one time heavy. wasn't pretty, but saved the bird and walked away with $40 bill or so.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:07 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,245 Posts
The 600's are where it starts getting good for auto's. Even the 550's don't auto anywhere near as well. I rarely auto intentionally.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2012
721 Posts
I learnt my auto's purely by accident due to a poor Deans connector copy and LVC kicking in prematurely, but haven't done any deliberate auto's since.

These auto's were done while I was learning so I was lucky to pull them off without crashing. I did 3 or 4 in a row and all were well executed.
ZeRoEXPO is offline Find More Posts by ZeRoEXPO
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,500 Posts
well, i had my accidental auto one time when i was pushing my heli too much and it;'s a little underpowered on esc side 75amps on 600 bird 6s. anyways, power cut off as i was heading away getting ready for a turn and the thing goes...."woo-oo-onk" i was like oh no!!

had to turn her around and bring her back a little because by that time she was over a bunch of wooden crates!! anyways, i was really bleeding off headspeed by that time and went down flat on skids!

what surprised me was i never handle stuff well under unexpected stress, but i managed to turn her around and even do a nose-in landing!! wish i had more rpm's!! it all happened in a split second and like 30 feet up.

if it were a 450, i'd just probably let her pile into all the trash there was behind the fence, but this one i was able to turn around and somewhat bring in. lotta power reserved i tell ya. i was running glass fiber blades. didn't even damage them, but i did damage landing skid struts(CF) and had a tailboom strike by blades because dent is from the side blades survived. oh and couple plastic linkages broke.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher