HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2014, 05:07 AM
Common Sense Support Crew
Rensselaer, IN USA
Joined May 2006
169 Posts
Discussion
Cleveland Models Kit 77.25" ws B-17G 1/16 scale

Some time ago a friend of my son and I started a 1/16 scale Cleveland models B-17G kit. We looked at the kit and decided to build from scratch as the balsa was only 1/16 and we were planning on making it a R/C electric. So we have spent 90+ hours cutting 1/8 light ply parts out. We have finished the Stabilizer and sheeted it with 1/20th balsa applied 2 coats of sealer and puttied the low spots. At the moment we are at 3.5oz for this part of the tailplane. Yesterday we dry fit the main wing. We have added an extra exterior rib bay to make it an 85.5" giant scale model. We have a proof of concept for a fowler flap and will add ailerons. Yesterday we dry fit all the main wing parts and it was quite impressive to see the 3d bones laid out on the table. Now to slice the ribs to put in the fowler flaps and the ailerons and we will be off to the races on the main wing.

Astroflight is winding special brushless motors for us and we have modified some 60-120 E-Flight 85 degree retracts to work. The motors will be wired with the 2 inside motors on 1 battery and the 2 outside on a second battery. The servos will be powered with a Castle 25Amp BEC and separate battery. All servos will be digital.

Randy Black

Pictures will be posted and updates added as we proceed if anyone is interested.
reblacklaf is offline Find More Posts by reblacklaf
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2014, 11:44 AM
u.s.a.
Joined Jun 2008
184 Posts
Randy, please post all your pictures of this wonderful plane. we would all love to see it being built. thank you don
airboss45 is offline Find More Posts by airboss45
Old May 17, 2014, 12:26 AM
Rensselaer, IN USA
Joined May 2006
169 Posts
Test Post

First 2 pictures are of the dry fitting of the main wing, the third is a closeup and the last is my ugly mug holding the completed stabilizer.

Randy
Old May 17, 2014, 12:52 AM
Rensselaer, IN USA
Joined May 2006
169 Posts
Materials

We are using 1/8 lite ply for all ribs and formers then lighting them as much as safety allows. As the wing spars are balsa we will be using 1/16 ply for the shear webbing on the front spars out to the second nacelle and then 1/16 balsa the rest of the way. On the back spar we will use just 1/16 balsa. Everything will be covered in 1/20th balsa. I know a flying lumber yard right? Well the finished stabilizer unit comes in at 3.5 ounces.

We are still waiting on the motors from AstroFlight. They hope to have them out to us in the next week. We reversed the E-Flight 60-120 85degree retract layout and are trying to figure out how to wire in our own limit switch so it only retracts to 70 degrees. This way the wheels will lock down and hopefully not having a lock on the wheels up position will not cause a problem. If not we will cant the retract units in the wing so the down position gives the forward position per the original.

I ordered some 1/16 scale 50cals which should be here soon. Our parts bin is getting full of parts for later fitting. A pack of 35 amp Castle multirotor ESC's was ordered and we removed the BEC from the one unit. We will be going with a Castle 25AMP BEC powered by a 2C lipo @ 1350mah for the servos. Main batteries will be 2C lipos @ 5000mah (1 for the inboard motors and 1 for the outboard units).
Last edited by reblacklaf; May 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling sigh
Old May 17, 2014, 09:33 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,871 Posts
Sounds and looks as if you are a veteran builder and not afraid to go the extra effort of a Cleveland conversion.Will keep an eye on your progress. A friend of mine, Bob Goff, has built a number of beautiful scale models based on Cleveland plans. Power has been mostly by Mega motors in gearboxes. Here are some examples:
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 17, 2014, 09:47 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,875 Posts
Nice work!
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old May 17, 2014, 02:18 PM
Rensselaer, IN USA
Joined May 2006
169 Posts
Thank You

Thanks for the kind words will post more once the main wing goes together.

We are going to use an Orange 8 channel receiver with 2 satellites for reception and still thinking about adding a sound system since we aren't putting in a bomb-bay (too much redesign of the Cleveland kit to do).
Old Jun 09, 2014, 02:50 AM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
903 Posts
This one slipped by me earlier, but I'm on the frequency now! Beautiful work, Randy. I have the 1/16 scale plans from Cleveland and will be following along closely.
I hope you don't mind some questions:
How did you cut the wing ribs?
What types of glue are you using?
Very much looking forward to seeing how you operate and install the fowler flaps. I've experimented with them, but gave up on making the aluminum guide tracks.
Couldn't sleep from drinking too much coffee. Logging into RCGroups sure beats counting sheep.
Regards, Chris
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2014, 01:32 PM
Rensselaer, IN USA
Joined May 2006
169 Posts
Glue is Super Phatic and CA, we cut the ribs after making templates on paper and laying out the lightening holes old school, oval template, circle template, french curves, straight edge and lots and lots of Sweet Tea from McD's. We then put the template on a double layer of 1/8 liteply and used a jig saw and dremal tool.

We have moved the discussion to Giant Electric Planes.

Randy