HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Jun 2013
4 Posts
Question
Any Kits for a Cox .049?

Hey, I'm new here. I have a couple of .049 laying around, and am looking for a kit, or plane to build to use one on. I was looking for a trainer type plane. I have never scratch built before, so that's why I was looking for a kit, or even an already built plane. Any information would help. Thanks
NitroNoob97 is offline Find More Posts by NitroNoob97
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:50 AM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It used to be you could find all kinds of kits for the 049 a number of years ago however that has changed. Probably due to the better "electric" flying systems. I know that Sig mfg has a kit called the "Rascal". High wing type airplane. I do not have any personal experience with it but it is out there. Years ago a company called "Ace" had a number of kits for 049 and similar size motors. Not sure if they are still around but back in the day I had their Wizard kit and had a blast flying it. I know others on the forum will be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck in your search and let us know what you find.
jazzman58 is offline Find More Posts by jazzman58
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:56 AM
Joined Jun 2013
4 Posts
Okay, thanks a lot. This really helps, and I'll be able to start doing some research. Thanks

Oh, and do you know anything about the Herr Cloud Ranger? It looks pretty nice, and not too expensive.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:04 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
I've seen a lot of good info on the Cloud Ranger, although I've never seen one. Here's a build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312509

And another: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1723163
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:48 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
577 Posts
Cloud Ranger

I built the Herr Cloud Ranger a few years back, very good flier.

I have built several of the Herr kits, all were excellent fliers but I believe they build a little heavy (probably just me- I build heavy) Kit quality can't be beat.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:47 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,957 Posts
Suggest a simple build like a "stick' Or Honker.
EASY to scratchbuild just exacto /cut out a hand full of parts to glue together.
Intricate kits are too fiddly IMO for early / intermediate stages of 049 flying.
Save those for when you are Sure that crashes are rare events.
These turn into a pile of matchsticks on bad landings
and are a genuine PITA to rebuild.
Not ideal to enjoying flying... just fixin.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 14, 2013, 07:07 PM
Joined Aug 2008
9 Posts
I build and fly the old 60's kits made by Carl Goldberg. The Falcon Jr, Skylark and Cessna Skylane are available. I get mine on ebay. They fly really well and now you can use 2 or 3 channel R/C gear.
Papa2 is offline Find More Posts by Papa2
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:27 AM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Sollentuna
Joined Aug 2010
213 Posts
Select Hobbies have some kits. I have no personal experience of any of them, but I'm sure others can comment on them. You find them here: http://www.selecthobbies.com/index.htm

You can find some plans for trainers at Dave Fritzke's page: http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/. You could probably use one of theese plans for a fuselage and combine with one of the Ace wings from Select Hobbies, but again, that's nothing I have personal experience of but I'm sure others can fill in here.

If you are willing to have a try at scratchbuilding the greatest source for plans is Outerzone (http://outerzone.co.uk/index.asp). I have so far only scratchbuilt a fuselage, but it was surprisingly easy to do and I think you too will be pleasantly surprised if you try it.

Good luck to you, both in choosing plane and building it

/Stefan
SBS_Pilot is online now Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:14 AM
Joined Jan 2004
346 Posts
I have an AXN Floater Jet that I got from Hobby King. It's an electric pusher that is not bad as a trainer. I assembled it in two or three hours. It flies on a 5x5 electric prop, and has plenty of power for loops and rolls, but can throttle down and cruise nice and slow at around 1/3 throttle. As I was assembling it I was wondering how it would fly with a Cox .049. Here's a video of a guy who did it. You can see that it's pretty responsive. I'd do a little cleaner install, but he did it on his trashed plane that they thrash for their videos, so he just did a quick and dirty install:

Nitro-powered AXN part 2 (9 min 58 sec)

And the model at Hobby King's USA warehouse. If I didn't already have one, I'd order this for one of my Cox engines.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
gettinout is online now Find More Posts by gettinout
Last edited by gettinout; Jun 22, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:17 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
I was thinking about the same; i wonder how the axn would fly rudder / elevator only?
And since there are no cables to the motor the fuse could be hacked to use rubber bands to hold the wing on and use a strip of straping (glass fibre) tape instead of that heavy tube.
Moving the servo's more to the front would also reduce weight while maintaining the cg.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:36 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
Other thought for a bit more extreme hacking;
Mount the engine on the nose or even build a whole new (balsa) fuse using a arrow shaft as tail boom only using the wing and tail from the kit.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:54 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,216 Posts
there's the banana: http://coxengines.ca/model-airplane-...-standard.html probably easier to build than a lot of ARFs are to assemble. designed as a trainer and will take a lot of abuse.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:45 PM
Joined Jun 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
Other thought for a bit more extreme hacking;
Mount the engine on the nose or even build a whole new (balsa) fuse using a arrow shaft as tail boom only using the wing and tail from the kit.
That's a good idea. I really have a thing for stick fuses, too, as I really like my slowstick.

Man, I like the look of the Banana, too bad it's $90. It's just a bit too much for me to buy right now.

Is it possible to make a control line model R/C? Just a thought.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 01:49 AM
Joined Jan 2004
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
I was thinking about the same; i wonder how the axn would fly rudder / elevator only?
And since there are no cables to the motor the fuse could be hacked to use rubber bands to hold the wing on and use a strip of straping (glass fibre) tape instead of that heavy tube.
Moving the servo's more to the front would also reduce weight while maintaining the cg.
It actually turns really well on rudder and elevator only. For lazy turns and mellow flying, I use R/E and throttle at about 1/3. For aggressive turns I use ailerons and 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I only use full throttle for climb to altitude. Full throttle makes this thing scream across the sky, and I was a little afraid that sharp maneuvers would rip the wings off.

As for cutting it down, why bother. It flies great as is. I like the wing tube. I modified mine so that the wings separate instead of being glued in place as the instructions say. Easier to transport and store with the wings separated.

And I would not cut the pod and move the motor to the nose. One of the things I like about this is that it protects the motor and prop.
gettinout is online now Find More Posts by gettinout
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:02 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNoob97 View Post
That's a good idea. I really have a thing for stick fuses, too, as I really like my slowstick.

Man, I like the look of the Banana, too bad it's $90. It's just a bit too much for me to buy right now.

Is it possible to make a control line model R/C? Just a thought.
Depends on the design; manny cl models are asymmetric .
The inside wing needs to carry part of the weight of the line and there might be a weight in the outside wing.
Rudders are either fixed or the whole taillfin is at a angle.
The engine is mounted outwards.
All this is to make the model pull better on the line (slack lines is loss of control)
The wings are most flat so unstable on the roll axis.
You are probably better off building a new plane since that is what you are end up doing more or less anyway.