HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:15 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,544 Posts
Has anyone published a chart of the range in cold weather vs warm weather. It would be interesting to see a 80F range, 40F range, and 0F range with the heat end defroster cranked up. I’m sure that someone has done these tests and I would like to see them.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Has anyone published a chart of the range in cold weather vs warm weather. It would be interesting to see a 80F range, 40F range, and 0F range with the heat end defroster cranked up. Im sure that someone has done these tests and I would like to see them.

I wouldnt want to set out on a trip and have the battery die half way in the winter.

AAA is going to have to start carrying generators LOL.

Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:41 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,962 Posts
Quote:
AAA is going to have to start carrying generators – LOL.
AAA is already a step ahead, at least for those in large metro areas that have more than a few electric passenger vehicles.

http://www.plugincars.com/aaa-introd...rs-107663.html

The 'jump' likely won't provide a great deal of range but will get motorists safely off crowded freeways.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
I think some of us are too smart for that.
So you think investing in the RC Hobby is a much wiser investment?
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:57 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
And everyone stopped talking. It's undeniably the future. Talking about it being decades away is ridiculous IMO because it's already here.
Not much point round here, run an electric car from the grid in VIC (Australia) and you produce round about the same CO2 as running a small petrol engine car.

This is what happens when you burn brown coal (also known as crap) for electricity and it does not seem likely this will change any time soon.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:11 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
So you think investing in the RC Hobby is a much wiser investment?
You think a hobby is an investment?

TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:47 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Not much point round here, run an electric car from the grid in VIC (Australia) and you produce round about the same CO2 as running a small petrol engine car.

This is what happens when you burn brown coal (also known as crap) for electricity and it does not seem likely this will change any time soon.
They should invent a coal-burning automobile and eliminate the middleman. That could possibly be the cheapest of all LOL.

Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:58 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,279 Posts
They did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_car

Concerning the coal vs. petrol argument: Have you already factored in the energy needed for making petrol vs. making coal?

Before petrol is burned, it has to be refined, transported, etc.
Coal is directly transported to the power station, and I think this is less energy intensive as making and transporting gas to the end customer.
Plus, one does not sponsor terrorists with coal.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Concerning the coal vs. petrol argument: Have you already factored in the energy needed for making petrol vs. making coal?
The numbers I saw were for the whole shebang, from earth to vehicle.

Brown coal must be dried before it can be used to fuel anything, this wastes a fair amount of energy even though the mine is right next to the power station. Plus our power stations are old and inefficient.

Its a local peculiarity, go to Tas and it is a much better idea (most of their off-peak is Hydro). Depends on how your electricity is generated.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:04 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,279 Posts
Well, even if they create the same amount of C02, I would like the exhaust fumes much more to be produced out of town and properly filtered, than being blown right into my face from the car before me.
Imagine a city without air pollution by cars - what a wonderful thought.

How much would you like your computer if it was powered by a little chainsaw engine inside?

Seen this commercial?

Nissan LEAF: Gas Powered Everything commercial (1 min 1 sec)
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:19 AM
kit
USA
Joined Oct 2001
695 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone published a chart of the range in cold weather vs warm weather. It would be interesting to see a 80F range, 40F range, and 0F range with the heat end defroster cranked up. Im sure that someone has done these tests and I would like to see them.

http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/chevr...-weather-range
kit is offline Find More Posts by kit
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:41 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Well, even if they create the same amount of C02, I would like the exhaust fumes much more to be produced out of town and properly filtered, than being blown right into my face from the car before me.
Imagine a city without air pollution by cars - what a wonderful thought.

How much would you like your computer if it was powered by a little chainsaw engine inside?

Seen this commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn__9hLJKAk
It was campaigns like this that made me quit advertising. Come on.

Harry
Harry H is online now Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,714 Posts
Quote:
Nope. Don't want chain saw motor running my computer, don't want an electric motor running my car.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:19 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,962 Posts
I wouldn't mind an electric motor running my car if it had a fuel tank that would last the life of the vehicle, had 400+ mile range, and could be refueled in 5 minutes.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:59 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,544 Posts
I did not realize that the range was so short. I need something that will go to work and back (40 miles one way) in all kinds of weather with something to spare. Looks like it may be many years before we can expect anything like that.

I’ll just get another SUV that way I have plenty of room for airplanes and helicopters for lunchtime and after work flying. There is a flying field on the way home. Life doesn’t get any better than that – LOL.