SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHeliPilot View Post
Oh, I forgot to also mention this oscillation is happening as the heli is stationary. That is to say I am not adding any throttle (its at zero). I don't want to spool it up until I know that the tail is moving when I give it inputs.
Set the tail servo to analog. See if that helps.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Do you think it might have been something with that particular servo?
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Problems with the G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Do you think it might have been something with that particular servo?
It might have been as the second tail servo doesn't seem to be getting hot (yet) like the first one did. But even it it was a faulty servo that doesn't explain why the replacement is acting weird. That's why I'm thinking it's something outside of the servos, something somewhere else.
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:57 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
I know I'm going over some pretty simple stuff, but it doesn't hurt to cover all littles things before assuming its a bigger issue. Try grounding your tail boom.

What version are you running? My led status pattern changed when I updated it.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:06 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,856 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys - I've installed a G31 on my Tarot 450 and have had multiple difficulties along the way. I've worked my way thru almost all and have succeeded in getting thru the entire programming process. I am ready to maiden the heli, or at least I thought I was.

When I plug the flight battery in and initialize the system the tail servo starts oscillating back and forth. It doesn't seem to be in the center anymore and although I had previously set the tail endpoints the servo arm sits further away from center (with the rudder stick at mid-point). When the servo is oscillating like this the rudder stick has no affect on moving the tail. The tail sensor direction works intermittently.

The tail servo is a Henge MD922. The link ball on the tail servo is set to the innermost hole (nearest to the center). The cyclics are Henge MD933. The servo frequencies for both are the same: 250Hz.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest version before I started the programmimg process.

Any ideas?
Hi SDHeliPilot. Thanks for the PM and sorry for the delay replying. I just got back from a few days away with very limited internet access.

Reading all of your posts I'm starting to think you have a faulty gyro. It sounds very similar to an issue I've read about the CX-3X1000.

It also reminds me of one of the cheap digital cyclic servos I was using to test this gyro. The only way it would work, was if I set it to analog. Does the 922 work on analog. Do you have any other brand of digital servos you could try.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:24 PM
RobirdUSA.com
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Hi SDHeliPilot. Thanks for the PM and sorry for the delay replying. I just got back from a few days away with very limited internet access.

Reading all of your posts I'm starting to think you have a faulty gyro. It sounds kvery similar to an issue I've read about the CX-3X1000.

It also reminds me of one of the cheap digital cyclic servos I was using to test this gyro. The only way it would work, was if I set it to analog. Does the 922 work on analog. Do you have any other brand of digital servos you could try.
Beenflying-

Thanks for responding. I have some Align servos that I can try out as well as another gyro.

I checked my wiring (suggested in another post) and it all looks good. As for changing the tail servo setting to "analog" the only options I see are either digital .or 760uS in either the PC or transmitter stick setups.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:02 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,781 Posts
The henge 922 is 1520us and 250hz if you where to run it at 760us it might be trouble.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:27 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,092 Posts
SDHelipilot,

It does sound very strange, one suggestion - check in the first s/w screen that you aren't getting the changing values on the rudder channel on the "monitor" screen just to ensure that you haven't got a Tx / Rx issue.

Good luck,
Mike
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:04 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,856 Posts
Quote:
Beenflying-

Thanks for responding. I have some Align servos that I can try out as well as another gyro.

I checked my wiring (suggested in another post) and it all looks good. As for changing the tail servo setting to "analog" the only options I see are either digital .or 760uS in either the PC or transmitter stick setups.
You're welcome. Sorry, I hadn't noticed there wasn't an analog option for the tail servo, only for the cyclic. Stick with the 1.5ms@250Hz setting, but try the Align digital servo and see if it does anything strange. Also keep as eye on it's temperature.

Please let us know whether the servo or the gyro is the issue.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:11 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,092 Posts
Here's a quick (but not very good) video of my Protos with the G31 / 3GY V2 - it's taken with a hat-cam and it appears that I follow the heli with my eyes rather than turning my head - I was tryign my best, but it still keeps disappearing from shot. I'm using a "spy-cam" that seems to make things closer than they seem - the people at the end are about 80 metres away, even so I should probably have landed sooner

Protos G31 (4 min 25 sec)
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:56 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,781 Posts
Align Dfc swash

Installed a Align Dfc swash on my 450 Beam, there's a lot of slop in the bearing and the bushing that slides on the mainshaft is loose.Not a upgrade on the Beam, made my vib levels go from below 200 to over 450 and then I had to turn the gains down to 12:30.Its coming off and back to my slop free Beam Swash.Just thought I'd let you guys know not to waste your money on slopy bling!
Nice flying Mike, your heli sounds solid!
Steve
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:10 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,856 Posts
Updated post # 3 with some other (non private) videos of Gavin Broadbent flying the robird G31.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,856 Posts
Video of a Gaui X7 with the robird G31. Blade scrapes at 1:40.

Robird G31 on X7.wmv (3 min 0 sec)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:47 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,781 Posts
I put on another 17 flights, 120 so far and only had a non binding happen twice which leaves the unit led green , reconnected battery and then it did bind( maybe I bumped it?)So far I really think this gyro is a big set forward!!
Steve
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:19 PM
RobirdUSA.com
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
You're welcome. Sorry, I hadn't noticed there wasn't an analog option for the tail servo, only for the cyclic. Stick with the 1.5ms@250Hz setting, but try the Align digital servo and see if it does anything strange. Also keep as eye on it's temperature.

Please let us know whether the servo or the gyro is the issue.
You got it sir. I have switched out the first G31 with a new one and attached all ofthe leads. I have updated it to version 0.97a. I'll do the setup programming in the next few days and let you know how it goes.