SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
fernie bc canada
Joined Dec 2009
511 Posts
Question
sport plane recomendation please

I have been flying helis 500-600 size for a couple years now , most of thw RC guys here have planes , so I thought I will get one for this spring .

I don't really want to buy a beginner plane that will get boring after a few days ...
I can fly most of them on the SIM , I know that's different ...

anyhow , looking for a mid size plane , electric only, in the $200-300 range
I call it sport , not sure what's the proper term ...

I have a DX7-DX8 radio .
cheers
joliecoeur13 is offline Find More Posts by joliecoeur13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:34 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,887 Posts
If an airplane driver wanted to get into helicopters would you recommend he start with a sport model rather than a beginner's model?

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Do you want fast or aerobatic? I think warbirds make good sport planes. My newest addition that qualifies as a sport plane if the $55 falcon pusher from nitroplanes, but if you haven't built a plane before I would look for better quality. It, and other cheap arfs, can require a bit of work to get correct.

Since you are new to fixed wing, I would suggest something like a cub.
Dont be suprised if you fly fixed wing more because of the minimal maintenance.
Desert Rider is offline Find More Posts by Desert Rider
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
One option would be a EPP aerobatic plane like the SuperZoom, built as a parkflyer.
I have had many beginners fly mine, because I set it up Lite, so it flys quite slow and is a decent size.
Plus its EPP and will take alot more abuse than most.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
If an airplane driver wanted to get into helicopters would you recommend he start with a sport model rather than a beginner's model?

Larry
I would. You can make an advanced heli fly like a beginner heli, but you can't make a beginner fly like an advanced heli. Assuming we ignore the fixed pitch and coax garbage.

However, planes a cheap airframes unlike helis, so maybe he should get one of each.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2011
155 Posts
The Parkzone T28 is a very stable flyer. It's in your price range. It is capable of aerobatics. It looks cooler than a trainer.
lcm1977 is offline Find More Posts by lcm1977
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:53 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rider View Post
I would. You can make an advanced heli fly like a beginner heli, but you can't make a beginner fly like an advanced heli. Assuming we ignore the fixed pitch and coax garbage.

However, planes a cheap airframes unlike helis, so maybe he should get one of each.
And, going from helis to planes is an easier transition, all he really needs to do is learn how to take off and land. The forward flight portion of heli flight is pretty much the same as with planes. Planes however don't hover (in normal attitudes) and going to a heli introduces that additional control regime and, you need a lot more rudder in the heli, which most plane fliers don't utilize much if any at all in flight. In both cases however we are better prepared for a sport model than someone who has flown neither.

That said, I love my Super Sportster EP, and the Sig Four Star 20/EP is a pretty decent, docile but sporty plane as well. All I would say as far as learning is to get an experienced plank pilot to help you on the first day.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUTZ8&P=ML

This flies slowly but is aerobatic too. You could get the ARF kit and do HK motor, ESC and servos for the $200 range.

I have a Simple Stik. It is a reliable and relaxing flier, but can do low and slow inverted, rolls etc.
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:56 PM
fernie bc canada
Joined Dec 2009
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post

Larry
well the physics of helicopter are a bit different ....AND a lot mor expenssive to fix and setup . Some argue a 600 heli is a good trainer ... I would not go that far , but a 450 would
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Ok, now you reminded me of when I went from rotary to fixed wings. I laugh because I remember I had to be concious of keeping the plane moving forward. For some reason my mind kept wanting to go into a hover and I stalled nose first into the ground a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
And, going from helis to planes is an easier transition, all he really needs to do is learn how to take off and land. The forward flight portion of heli flight is pretty much the same as with planes. Planes however don't hover (in normal attitudes) and going to a heli introduces that additional control regime and, you need a lot more rudder in the heli, which most plane fliers don't utilize much if any at all in flight. In both cases however we are better prepared for a sport model than someone who has flown neither.

That said, I love my Super Sportster EP, and the Sig Four Star 20/EP is a pretty decent, docile but sporty plane as well. All I would say as far as learning is to get an experienced plank pilot to help you on the first day.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rider View Post
Ok, now you reminded me of when I went from rotary to fixed wings. I laugh because I remember I had to be concious of keeping the plane moving forward. For some reason my mind kept wanting to go into a hover and I stalled nose first into the ground a couple of times.
lol Yeah, you can't just do some tricks and then hang out in a spot for a second, the plane must keep moving around. I think that being able to save myself at any time with a hover made my transition from plane to heli more difficult because if I panicked I just went into a nose out hover and brought it back in that way instead of trying to fly through the problem... I have about 30 flights on my 450 however and haven't caused any major damage yet... knock on wood.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Here we go. A trainer in the hands of a beginner is pretty exciting, hands shaking and all. Please, please listen to these folks ... we have been there. I have my 2nd plane, still, and it is still fun to fly ... sometimes!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Last edited by dkrhardy; Mar 14, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,332 Posts
Hey now,
If you're going to ignore the suggestions for a trainer, and flying helis maybe you can. The Parkzone warbirds from Horizon are right in your range, have fantastic company support, lots of spare parts just in case and fly pretty well.
T-28 being the easiest, Corsair next and on to the P-47. The Me-109 is pretty but because of the scaleish landing gear can be a bear to take off and land and just a bit twitchy because the tail being scaleish is on the small side. But the rest? Good solid second planes.
As to sport models. If you're not compeating they're all sport models...
Very different from helis.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,871 Posts
I have enjoyed flying my PZ Stinson Reliant with flaps for the past year and a half. The Reliant is a handsome 30's vintage tail-dragger and is a good way to really learn techniques needed for takeoffs, landings, and basic aerobatics including loops, rolls, inverted, etc. The Reliant can keep up with most sport IC powered models in speed and duration. It needs a smooth takeoff/landing surface ( wheel pants) and room to fly without trees or backstops. Add a Park BEC if you add flaps and fly 2.4Ghz.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:30 PM
fernie bc canada
Joined Dec 2009
511 Posts
thanks for all the sugestions , looks like the T28 has a lot of fans...

now what about wind ? is there any design that will perform better in windy condition ? I live in the mountains seems often windy not crazy 10-20km /hr ...