SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, KY, Benton
Joined Dec 2011
45 Posts
Help!
Hen Long Tiger1 r/c range

I have a Hen Long S&S Tiger 1 that only goes about 20-25 feet, then it runs out of range. I have a Tiger 2 that will go around 100 feet. I have switched transmitters, checked the continuity of the antenna to the receiver board, and re-soldered the antenna lead to the receiver board. None of this made it any better. Anything else you guys can think of besides a new receiver board? That's the only thing I can think of left to change. Thanks for any tips and happy tanking
tthompso is offline Find More Posts by tthompso
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
RC Tank n00b
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
extend the antenna wire should result in greater range (up to its limit)
A N Z A C is offline Find More Posts by A N Z A C
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
45 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but the antennas are the same on both tanks, so what is causing the range difference?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
RC Tank n00b
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
Are you running TX14 type board (Solder type connections) or the newer TX18 with plug in connections

If both tanks are running that same electrical equipment I would change over the receiver board (process of trouble shooting )
A N Z A C is offline Find More Posts by A N Z A C
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
45 Posts
RX18, both tanks have identical, stock electronics. I think I'll order another receiver board before I go to the trouble of taking the good one out of the Tiger2. No sense in risking damage to it.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
45 Posts
Better late to update than never I guess..I ordered a new receiver board from Phil at RCtankwars after my post, finally installed it today, no more range problem! I had already tried re-soldering the original receiver board with no change, continuity tested ok but problem still persisted until I installed the new board.

Thanks for the info, this board is a great resource and kudos to Phil for his help.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:18 AM
General of the Army
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthompso View Post
Better late to update than never I guess..I ordered a new receiver board from Phil at RCtankwars after my post, finally installed it today, no more range problem! I had already tried re-soldering the original receiver board with no change, continuity tested ok but problem still persisted until I installed the new board.

Thanks for the info, this board is a great resource and kudos to Phil for his help.
I see early in the thread you stated that you didn't want to try taking the known good receiver out of your second tank to try it in the tank with poor reception for fear of damaging it, so I'm assuming you never even opened up the second tank at all to compare the two receivers to each other side-by-side just by sight either, looking for differences.

I see that you also tried re-soldering the wire to the receiver board itself again to try to fix it, so I'm also assuming you soldered the wire to the exact same pin on the board which it had already been soldered, which normally would make sense if all that was wrong was it being a poorly soldered connection ... however, when you finally got the new board from Phil, at that time did you ever happen to examine the noted bad receiver board right along side the new one which makes the tank work correctly?

If you didn't examine them closely together, then I will suggest one more thing you might want to check on that old receiver board before tossing it, & confirm just for the heck of it to make 100% sure, because the board may actually be good if it had this one issue which has happened before ... is the antenna wire soldered to the correct pin on the old receiver board?

I ask because another forum member, whom I helped just recently, had poor reception issues because they actually had a receiver board from the manufacturer where the receiver's antenna wire was near the correct antenna location, but actually soldered to the incorrect pin location on the receiver board itself (not just poorly soldered), causing horribly short range. Once the wire was unsoldered from the incorrect pin location on the board, then re-soldered back to the correct antenna pin location, the receiver worked perfectly at the much longer distances it should work.

There are a couple pictures in this thread that discussed those HL tank reception issues, showing the incorrect receiver antenna wire solder location on the one board, & my board's correctly soldered receiver wire location: Heng Long distance control problem

Hey, if that's not it either, then nothing gained, but if it's the case that the wire is just connected to the wrong pin, it was worth checking, because then you probably still have a good receiver for a back-up just in case!

~ Craig ~
badassforce is offline Find More Posts by badassforce
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
45 Posts
Yes, I tested continuity to the resistor on the bottom of the board all the way to the antenna and it was good. Also soldered the antenna lead to the other pin just for kicks, no change. My original board had hot glue covering the resistor so it made it difficult to see which pin it was connected to. Believe you me, I tried them all. The board from Phil didn't have the hot glue, making it simple to see which pin on the top side to solder to. I had already looked at several pics of correctly connected boards hoping that was the problem.

I read your previous post helping the user with the same problem. Very helpful. Appreciate your input.

Teddy
Last edited by tthompso; Aug 05, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:47 PM
General of the Army
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
OK Teddy, I just wanted to make sure ... ... & it sure sounds like you did a great job trouble shooting the board as well as you could, too bad you couldn't find a fix for it. The only positives in a situation like this ... at least those boards are kind of inexpensive to replace, & you get to know your way around the inside of the tank to ready yourself for inevitable future work on it!

~ Craig ~
badassforce is offline Find More Posts by badassforce
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:17 AM
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
78 Posts
In the US you can buy a hk 6 channel 2.4 ghz radio for around 30 bucks delivered. Add an rc2hl board for 45 bucks and you will get a range measured out to at least 450 yards. Plus you need not worry about interference or other radios. I have the boards and program file if your interested, just pm me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthompso View Post
I have a Hen Long S&S Tiger 1 that only goes about

20-25 feet, then it runs out of range. I have a Tiger 2 that will go around 100 feet. I have switched transmitters, checked the continuity of the antenna to the receiver board, and re-soldered the antenna lead to the receiver board. None of this made it any better. Anything else you guys can think of besides a new receiver board? That's the only thing I can think of left to change. Thanks for any tips and happy tanking
FreakyDude is offline Find More Posts by FreakyDude
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Dec 2011
45 Posts
Thanks for the info, There are no other tankers in my area that I know of so I'm ok for now. That would be a much better system though. Hoping to upgrade motors and batteries first, repaint and detail, the would like to get better sounds, install infrared battle system, etc. a long list of to dos! ha
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:52 AM View Post
barry3065
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Dec 2011
45 Posts
Scroll up and read my August 4 post, that's what I did. Thanks for sharing though!