HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:21 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
mount

ready to re-maiden, ive got the vibration problem fixed. you can see the original mount, my first custom mount which didnt fix the vibration problem. the mount on the flyjet is my new, much thicker mount, which FIXED THE PROBLEM, FINALLY. the motor still tries to vibrate at half throttle, but the mount wont let it. the mount is REALLY BEEFY and the motor cant vibrate anymore.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:34 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
651 Posts
thats a beautifully made mount chris.

only do keep in mind that, with that design, you are blocking A LOT of the airway. Which means that you are transforming that EDF tunnel into a massive air brake. So your speed/efficiency will be reduced.

I did something different with my mount, after my initial design using JBWeld didn't fair too well. What I did this time is thin out the 3 legs to 1/2 the thickness, but i added a 2nd mount on top. So i have 2 mounts sandwiched and glued together with legs 1/2 the width, in order to reduce the air drag.

Mount is rock solid and performance is even better.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
thanks x, i know the air is going to be blocked, a little more. id rather the air be blocked a sive mall bit more than the vibration tear the back of my plane apart. which the vibrating would surely do. ive bevelled the air holes to let air slip through better, and theres only a small amount of extra wind resistance.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
re-maiden went well today, plane flew very nice, cg was best at about 150. anything past that started to get tail-heavy and the plane started to get pitchy. take offs are still a hairy situation, i just throw it almost straight up to get as far away from the ground as possible. still have to use about 3mm of up elevater. coud'nt really tell much difference in speed from my funjet, maybe just a little bit slower, use the same motor in both planes. didnt have to worry about the motor vibrating at all, the mount held up solid and had no vibrations. im happy with this plane, it flys very nice.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
mods

heres the new vent. i think it looks good, a lot meaner. i also mounted the sattelite rx to the outside for max reception. ive got a small hole dremelled out the back of the fueselage for the air to escape, just above the esc.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:08 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
651 Posts
thanks for the pics chris. looks pretty good. one thing to keep in mind regarding the vent in the front... make sure you have the same amount of an opening in the rear so that the air can pass almost freely through the fuse, otherwise it will create pressure which will cause your canopy to pop off. Thats why a lot of guys with the Funjets (and many other planes for that matter) loose their canopies. They put a big battery in the way of the airflow causing pressure inside the fuse. Alternatively you could also add extra securing mechanisms (like a rubber band ), which it looks like you already have with the 2 magnets up front.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:23 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Nice Chris, thanks for the ideas and pics.
hklive uploaded an edf flight video today:
FlyJet X83 Kit (6 min 33 sec)

I like the slow flight ability.
I may duplicate that setup but with a 60a esc.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
i like this bird a lot more than my new funjet ultra. the ultra is a bit heavy and doesnt handle as good as the original funjet or x-830. i use thr back of the large molding holes to balance the x-83, its about 150mm at that point and a good marker to go by. any farther back and my plane starts to get pitchy. i guess we'll just have to deal with the nosing down on takeoff, just be quik on the sticks. i keep some up-trim and throw the plane almost straight up to stay away from the ground. i also like how light the plane is, and it does have some nice slow characteristics. during landing yesterday, i could almost let go of the sticks when comming in for a landing and let the plane land itsself, partially due to the up-trim. im happy with this bird. i also had a pretty hard nose-in with a landing awhile back, and it did NO damage.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
i like this bird a lot more than my new funjet ultra. the ultra is a bit heavy and doesnt handle as good as the original funjet or x-830. i use thr back of the large molding holes to balance the x-83, its about 150mm at that point and a good marker to go by. any farther back and my plane starts to get pitchy. i guess we'll just have to deal with the nosing down on takeoff, just be quik on the sticks. i keep some up-trim and throw the plane almost straight up to stay away from the ground. i also like how light the plane is, and it does have some nice slow characteristics. during landing yesterday, i could almost let go of the sticks when comming in for a landing and let the plane land itsself, partially due to the up-trim. im happy with this bird. i also had a pretty hard nose-in with a landing awhile back, and it did NO damage.

If you don't think the Funjet Ultra handles well, it's because you don't have enough power in it. It's meant to go FASST!!

I bought this airframe so I could have a nice everyday, 3s cruiser.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
it has plenty of extra power, 2900kv, 3 and 4cell batts, i fly with. i have the same motor in all 3 of my funjets, the original funjet, funjet ultra, and x-83, theres more than enough power. of all 3 of the planes, i like the ultra least. it doesnt have the great slow fly characteristics the other 2 have.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
it has plenty of extra power, 2900kv, 3 and 4cell batts, i fly with. i have the same motor in all 3 of my funjets, the original funjet, funjet ultra, and x-83, theres more than enough power. of all 3 of the planes, i like the ultra least. it doesnt have the great slow fly characteristics the other 2 have.
Yeah I hear you, but it's not supposed to have slow fly characteristics. They made the Ultra to go fast.
My X-83 should fill that void. I am going for a lighter setup for sure. Maybe a HET 2W-25 on 3S, or my Mega 16/15/4 on 3S.

Problem is, the smallest ESC I have currently is a Phoenix 80
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
go to TOYSONICS.COM, brushless motors, go to second page, scroll down till you see the black and gold bullet type motors. $20, they have a 4cell, 5cell, and 6cell. im using the 4cell 2900kv. its an awesome little motor. its what i have in all my funjets, i run 3 and 4cell batts with it. 6x4 sport, 60 amp plush, and i dont have to swap out props in-between 3 & 4cell. i have a het 2w-20 but prefer this motor, for $20 you should check it out, its well worth it. your 80esc will be more than enough.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
youll love the x-83, it flys really nicely, once you get it dialed in. 150mm cg, elevons with about 3-4mm uptrim, throw it almost straight up, cause this plane tends to dive toward the ground on launch. but it is light, like the old funjet, and tough as he#$. the foam quality is excellent. wish all my planes were made of this foam.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:55 PM
1 can never have 2 many planes
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Sep 2011
629 Posts
finally managed to get my hands on one of these beauties! flies like a true fighter and man are they though! have just spent the last 6 hours finishing up the paint job.
chambo88 is online now Find More Posts by chambo88
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
that looks really good 88. whats your power setup? do you have any vibration at half throttle? i was going to try mounting my motor like yours if my new mount had'nt have worked. im going to paint mine sometime in the future. set your cg about 150mm, 3-4mm of up elevater, and i throw mine almost straight up to stay away from the ground. this plane tends to nose dive on launch. looks really good