HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:59 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
bronicabill, I look forward to flying with you whenever it works out for you.

Today, I'm charging batteries and getting my MiniFly, my Divo, and perhaps even the new UM4S ready to fly tomorrow. I have a new Christmas Night Vapor to try out indoors for the first time. I've flown it outside once.

See all of you who come fly tomorrow afternoon. I know some of you will be busy out buying bread and milk to weather the coming storm. Come fly with us some time in the future. With GFFF held about, but not exactly, every 3 weeks, there will be a lot of indoor flying opportunities in 2011!

Jim Marconnet
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Jan 21, 2011 at 08:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:20 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
What a nice Grace Family Fun Fly this afternoon!

It was a pleasant surprise to see Craig and Darren there today. Thanks, Craig for flying my Divo and for showing me what it's capable indoors there when I get much better.

The UMX Extra 300 was there in 3 boxes, with a pilot for each. It made a terrific first impression! Light and manueverable.

I enjoyed flying my new Night Vapor and my MiniFly. My grandson Jackson flew the mCX helicopter and ran the red race car a bunch! My boss from work was there. Thanks David for taking some photos for me.

There was a nice group present from Griffin Aerospace, I believe. I ought to have gone over and introduced myself, but probably they already knew who I was from St. Mary's.

Thanks all who came and who made this such a nice flying time.

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Jan 10, 2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:08 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Those Extra's are nice fliers for sure and your Divo is a great stable slow flying plane. I liked it a lot. Sorry I stepped on it.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
MARS Micro Modelers kick off 2011 on January 19th!

Here's the latest from Al Clark:

Folks,

MMM will hold our first flying session of 2011 on Wednesday, January 19th, from 4:00 to 6:30 PM in MSFC building 4316. Let’s see what kind of flying machines you all got from Santa Claus – bring ‘em out and get them into the air!

Al Clark
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:09 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
An amazing build by Al Clark

I just got an email from Al Clark and wanted to share a bit of it here for those who may come to Wednesday's MARS Micro Modelers.

Jim

-----

Guys,

Here are some pix of my new indoor bipe, the Phoenix (Thayer Syme design). 7.7" span; weighs 3.6 grams with battery; rudder and throttle control; 30 mah LiPo battery. Plan to test it at MSFC this Wednesday. It was a real PITA to build - I'm getting too old to work on stuff this small/delicate. I think I broke the airframe 3 times while assembling the finished parts, and broke the actuator wires once by accident. I found out that soldering #46 enameled wire (.00157 diameter) is not for the faint of heart. Hopefully, this one will fly slow enough to use in my living room at home. We'll see...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:59 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Nice MARS Micro Modelers last evening!

I got to see Al fly his new Phoenix bipe. It flew very well other than that he had a bit too much right thrust built-in, so it tended to turn right very well and left not at all! When he landed it on a rather out of the way roof, I offered to throw a plastic coffee can full of sand to knock it off. No takers!

I enjoyed getting to know Keith K from Colorado some. He's been here 3 months now, and I've seen him several times, but I never knew who he was, much less his story of helping develop and test some of the Stevens Aero planes. He sold one old prototype plane similar to a Diddlerod that was tempting me. I still have one with a darling Snoopy pilot awaiting a brushless motor replacement for several years now. I really did not need another one to work on, or not to work on, as the case might be! I hope to see it fly at our next MARS MM.

I brought my brand new UM4-Site, but was not brave enough to maiden it then and there due to many tables and chairs out on the floor. I got to see Fred fly his and watched some specific manuevers that he did, including crash-landing into a chair! I now know that it will do flat rudder turns without the rudder being turned so far that I'd notice it.

I had so much fun watching pilots fly and talking to them that I never flew anything myself.

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Jan 21, 2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 08:45 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Some info and videos from Al Clark from yesterday

Folks,

We had a decent turnout yesterday afternoon at our MARS Micro Modeler flying session. There had been some type of event previously, and the tables and chairs were not yet removed, so it cramped our style a little, but we managed OK. We had a number of new folks show up, and some brought some planes to fly. And a fair number of regular attendees as well. We will try to have more regular flying sessions now that we are past the Holiday events.

I test flew a new model called Phoenix. It is a small biplane that weighs 3.6 grams ready to fly. It needs an adjustment to remove some right thrust in the motor, but otherwise flies pretty well. If you are interested in seeing some video of it, here is the link:
Phoenix 1 19 11 (2 min 43 sec)

I also made the maiden flight of my new Plantraco Carbon Butterfly RTF model, which has approx. an 8" span and weighs 3.5 grams. It is an excellent flier. I shot some video of John Chapman flying it, and you can see that here:
Carbon Butterfly 1-19-11.wmv (1 min 43 sec)

Thanks to everyone who came out to fly and watch, or just shoot the breeze. It was fun! I look forward to the next flying session.

Al Clark
MMM President
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:14 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Reminder emails for January 30 Grace Family Fun Fly

A few minutes ago I sent out email reminders for the second Grace Family Fun Fly in 2011, next Sunday January 30, 2011 from 1-4 PM.

If you got my reminder email, you need to do nothing.

If you did not get my email and you want an email reminder about a week beforehand, please PM me or email me your email and tell me that you want to be added to the reminders list.

I also have another email list for folks who only want to know about significant schedule changes, and yet another publicity list for local newspapers, R/C clubs, etc.

Hope to see you next Sunday!

Jim Marconnet
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:40 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Come Eat Mexican before the GFFF this Sunday!

I just got the following from Todd Noren-Hentz at Grace United Methodist Church, where we will have our Grace Family Fun Fly this Sunday, January 30th from 1-4 PM. So if you like Mexican food and you can come early (serving will start about noon), then come early and join us!

Looks like I won't need to bring a TV dinner to heat up for my lunch this Sunday after late church and before I set up for the GFFF!

Jim

----

EAT MEXICAN FOOD AFTER CHURCH THIS SUNDAY

Do you love to eat delicious Mexican food? Like making camps, retreats, and mission trips affordable for youth in our church?

Then come and join us after Sunday School and Late Worship THIS SUNDAY to chow down on some of the most delectable food from down south our congregation has to offer.

A sampling of some of the dishes that have been promised:

- Mexican Casseroles
- Beef, Cheese, and Chicken Enchiladas
- Mexican Cornbread
- Mac-n-Cheese (for children not inclined towards a spicy palate)
- Black Beans, Refried Beans, & Spanish Rice
- Taco Salad
- Chips & Salsa
- Taquitos
- Chili
- Specially Prepared Desserts
- All the fixings such as guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream, onions & more

Rosie's won't have anything on us.....besides, they are closed on Sundays, so come and join us!

Donations accepted and will benefit youth camps, retreats, and mission trips.
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Jan 28, 2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 06:05 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Nice GFFF today! Thanks to all who came. The weather outside was so nice today that I would not be surprised to learn that a few who did not come inside flew outside instead.

I flew my UM4-Site inside for the first time. I've seen them fly several times and places. I knew that it wants some power, I.E. it's Not a floater. I flew it twice, and Rick Nelson flew it once. He started out with a nice inverted pattern. Only later I learned that he was having trouble, and it flew so well inverted that he just flew it that way till he got it under control! I did several sets of rolls, but nothing to compare with what Rick did. At least I brought it home in one piece.

Tony Coberly was there, and he put on quite a show with a larger 3D plane. I took my Divo, but I never got up my nerve to fly it. That's twice now. I guess it's time to either fish or to cut bait!

I'm still wishing for a Vapor with ailerons. Something ridiculously light, floaty, and nearly indestructable!

I did fly my Night Vapor after flying the UM4-Site. I got used to both rudder and ailerons and nearly put my Vapor into the wall when the Vapor rudder did not work. OOPs! wrong stick!

Lots of familiar faces and lots of new faces there today! Nice meeting Paulette and her husband and several others whose names have escaped me already.

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Jan 31, 2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:12 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
How big is too big for indoor flying?

I just ran into this thread on a 19 foot wingspan sailplane that some guys built on a bet and have flown indoors in their gym.

As my wife and I sometimes say, "Here are some guys with way too much time and money on their hands!"

19 foot indoor glider (1 min 19 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381715

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Feb 01, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:39 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
I've not been to St. Mary's for a while, and I want to try out some bigger batteries that I got for my UM4-Site, so I think I'll go fly there tonight.

Perhaps I can take a few whacks at my Divo and try hovering it!

I'd like to see a little greater participation in this thread, so I'll try to think of something to pass out or something tonight and at our next Grace Family Fun Fly February 27th.

Jim
Old Feb 08, 2011, 07:08 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
I enjoyed flying at St. Mary's last evening. Saw Scott there after a long absence dealing with his new house. Thanks Scott for flying my UM4-Site and my Divo, and for fixing those several breaks in the Divo. That made quite a difference in how it flew!

It was nice to see Markus with his brand new DX7 and a training setup helping a new pilot learn to fly.

I counted 9 pilots there, and no kids, a nice number in that nice gym.

After flying my Night Vapor, the UM4-Site, and the Divo, I decided that I enjoyed the Vapor the most! I still want a figurative Vapor with ailerons. Guess I need to dust off that Dynex that I started a while back.

Pat came along for company. Mostly she read while I flew. She played the piano some, but for some odd reason, they did not have a Methodist Hymnal!

Jim
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:46 PM
Huntsville, AL
Joined Sep 2006
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post

It was nice to see Markus with his brand new DX7 and a training setup helping a new pilot learn to fly.
It was rough to hear the dx7 hit the floor. Glad it still works : /.
sodaboy is offline Find More Posts by sodaboy
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:05 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Reminder - Next Grace Family Fun Fly this Sunday, February 27, 1-4 PM

I got my new Dynex Warlord repaired and ready to try again this Sunday. The rudder and elevator servo problems were fixed by slightly moving the servo motors back in their mountings to eliminate an interference in the two gears. Now I'll know to look for that!

See you Sunday afternoon!

Jim