HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,026 Posts
nice clemens! i have looked for a l39 airframe before not to many good people selling this stuff in the states any more........ sad. some around but for the $'s 64's and 70mm airframes can be had . a lots less of them though too.....not sure whats going on but edf's seem on the decline here . one f/b thinks it's due to the interest in quad rotors .

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nom View Post
If you want an ARF w/o servos and ESC newegg (via atomik rc) is a great place for one I buy most of my computer hardware from newegg and have ordered the exact same via atomick rc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9834-_-Product
This looks like the best deal going right now. Tks
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Let me share my enthusiasm for the elegant L-39 here - mine's running a 3600kV motor turning a Change Sun 11-blade fan, enough power IMO. It balances w/out lead with a 1000mA 3s pack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNIBwgXNdFU

To me, it flies really grown-up, like a bigger model...

cheers
Clemens
It is one of the most under rated airframes in this series. It flies amazing!! Mine is beat up and over 4 years old now... But I LOVE TO FLY it still!! So easy to launch and it can scoot around at less than 1/4 throttle or blast around at full on 4s with my Himax set up.

I got the F-86 and will be fitting it with the Dr. Madthrust 10 blade 50mm ready to go in.... will be working on that tonite....
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,999 Posts
That L-39 video is very nice. It does fly like a much larger jet. After seeing your flying site, I think I need to come visit you so that I can see it in person.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
Joined May 2010
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Let me share my enthusiasm for the elegant L-39 here - mine's running a 3600kV motor turning a Change Sun 11-blade fan, enough power IMO. It balances w/out lead with a 1000mA 3s pack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNIBwgXNdFU

To me, it flies really grown-up, like a bigger model...

cheers
Clemens
Nice! must be almost impossible to hit the dirt during a launch there...that valley is like a safety net.
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Today, 12:42 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,915 Posts
L-39 - and why the EDFs appear to be in decline

thanks for the positive comments, the flying site is nice and good for launch, less good for landing, but you can't have everything I guess :-)

Regarding the L-39, I would have loved to get the kit of the red (Pipsqueak) version, not easy to obtain kits for a reasonable price, you're right Chuck, and the whole hobby seems to be in decline somewhat: part of it may be the global economic situation, the FPV stuff which is a lot of fun (and accessible), but I think there is something else involved:
The young guys rather spend their time with computer games, maybe flight simulators, not RC planes. And if they should give it a try, buy some EDF, without any aid from experienced modelers, they will most likely crash on the first flight, and give up. Let's face it, there are models which are easy to assemble, but usually there is something which has to be done:
balancing a rotor which scrapes the housing and will likely self-destruct if not taken care of - or a tailplane incidence which is completely off (the Sky Angel MiG will loop on launch if you go with the stock CG and leave the tailplane incidence), servo setups with the pushrods connected on the outermost hole of the servo arm making it extremely sensitive even with EXPO (ailerons on the F9F Panther, e.g.)
Speaking of mods - the L-39 should be re-inforced with some carbon in the wing (I always use 3x1mm rods, super easy to put in, just cut a groove with a sharp knife, widen a bit with a flat screwdriver, insert the rod, and pour some thin CA over the business, it will wick in - done). And the elevator servo is blocking part of the exhaust (since I got a kit I used a slimmer servo, and tried to keep the obstrucion to a minimum.

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista