HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:13 PM
Sic transit gloria
Rushmore Academy
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
Question
Phoenix AZ???

Ok I've done my due diligence and searched this thread but cant find any recent and active threads. So...
Please tell me where there is a slope sight in Phoenix!
MAX FISCHER is offline Find More Posts by MAX FISCHER
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:52 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,715 Posts
I'm not sure of place's in Phoenix, but I'll be up on "A" Mountain today and tomorrow. I'f your here in Az. Labor Day there will be a group of us going to Green's peak, AZ. slope heaven. See July 4th Green's Peak on this forum for photo's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:02 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,601 Posts
Max,

There are a few places in Phoenix, but the problem is finding a landing spot and so not an awful lot of sloping is done. One site that's actually not too bad, however, is the hill (small mountain) located North of Union Hills Drive off 16th street. I believe it's called Buffalo Park or something along those lines. It's best with a south/southwest wind but requires a hike to get to a decent altitude for launch. The landing area is an unused baseball diamond with no fences, etc. Plenty of flying in the Flagstaff area and as was mentioned, Green's Peak which is a trek from the Phoenix area.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:13 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX FISCHER View Post
Ok I've done my due diligence and searched this thread but cant find any recent and active threads. So...
Please tell me where there is a slope sight in Phoenix!
Estrella Sailport is about 20 miles south of Phoenix on 238 and they conduct full scale ridge (slope) soaring flights on the Sierra Estrella located just north of the field. There was marginal wind (for full scale) there in March a few years ago when I tried some full scale ridge soaring, but it would have been great for models. If you can gain acess to the windward side of the Estrella, you might find some good spots to fly, though the landing sites might be a bit rugged. The google terrain map feature of the area is rather interesting.

http://www.azsoaring.com/

Have you looked west at the White Tank Mountain Park at Waddell? Some good looking areas and you can drive up near the tops. Check the google terrain map.

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/white_tank/

Good Luck!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Last edited by DT56; Aug 15, 2010 at 04:32 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:41 PM
Sic transit gloria
Rushmore Academy
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenuke View Post
Max,

There are a few places in Phoenix, but the problem is finding a landing spot and so not an awful lot of sloping is done. One site that's actually not too bad, however, is the hill (small mountain) located North of Union Hills Drive off 16th street. I believe it's called Buffalo Park or something along those lines. It's best with a south/southwest wind but requires a hike to get to a decent altitude for launch. The landing area is an unused baseball diamond with no fences, etc. Plenty of flying in the Flagstaff area and as was mentioned, Green's Peak which is a trek from the Phoenix area.

-bob
Bob, thanks.
I google earth'ed Buffalo Ridge. It seems like the peak is far from the ball field but I guess I'll have to check it out.
Thanks!
MAX FISCHER is offline Find More Posts by MAX FISCHER