SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,259 Posts
Tool for Easy Accurate P/C Link Ajustments

We all got them, and they all need replacing and adjustment...no, not our attitudes toward Walkera...flight control links.
For those of us in it for the long haul we need a tool to make replacing flight control links easy after they have been meticulously set up during rigging and blade tracking, so when the time comes to replace them we spend less time re-rigging or re-tracking.
Helifier711 has a good bit of information on his 450 site pertaining to when the control link plastic rod ends should be replaced.
To his information I would add that if you do end up with a plastic rod end that is worn as depicted in his photos but not to the point that you need to replace it, you can install it back on the metal ball end with the worn side of the plastic rod end faceing away from the helicopter. Another words you don't want to have the worn side toward the helicopter, it will be easy to press on, but think about it, it will also be easy for it to fail right in the middle of a tic toc. So keep the tight (less worn) side of the plastic rod end bearing inboard if you have the option when installing.
So the tool in the photos is what I created to make the job easy and correct the first time.
I bought a cheap plastic digital caliper from Home Depot and drilled the caliper end to accept rod ends from both my V450 and M120. Now all I do when replacing a worn plastic rod end is remove the link from the ship, drop it on the caliper until it centers on the metal ball ends. Remove the link and remove and replace the worn plastic rod end and make turning adjustments until it fits the dimention on the caliper set earlier. Install the link back on your ship and your done...enjoy your next flight.
Keeping the plastic rod ends tight will help prevent vibrations from loosening, chaffing and cracking things you don't want damaged.
Because we do crash and the control links can be lost forever, if you record the dimention from the caliper and write it down with the link it belongs to you can bypass all the rigging and tracking by just reproducing the link on the caliper to it's previosly recorded dimention.
We do this in the full scale world and I am sure many already do this but I have never seen it mentioned so I thought I would bring it up.
So why not just put the link in the caliper jaws and measure that way? I believe IMO you will always get a more acurate measurement from the center of the bearing holes.
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Oct 18, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:10 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,882 Posts
I just posted some updated info in my build log. Nothing special. Just showing some painted canopies off and then the info i already posted here about the spray durability liner. I like the way they feel after doing this. I can tell you that much. Otherwise i don't know yet what they will do in a crash.

Custom V450 - Parts Build & Mods

Check this out too. As i mentioned before. I never had washers to install with the tail blade grip mounting screw. But the new grips came with 2 pretty fat washers and longer screws:

These held the grips nice and tight with no slop and smooth motion. The next thing i want to show is the tail drive gear. I remember telling you guys it failed on me and the bearing slipped out of the block. Well after inspecting it, i noticed that it was because the shaft had a beveled edge that has been worn off, allowing the bearing to slip down the shaft, where it would normally be blocked from going. Very strange failure.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:17 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,882 Posts
New $119 RX from wowhobbies, complete blackout!

Nearly aimed right at me the heli lost all power and cyclic control. Nothing i could do but watch and hope it didn't hit me or go far enough to hit my car or someone else. I'm fairly sure, since this is the SECOND 2702V i have experienced this with. The 2702V has a random issue from the factory or perhaps just the ones from wow. That i can't confirm 100%. But i own 3 2702V RX. Using all 3 of them on the same heli, the issue occurs every time with 2 out of 3 of them. The third 2702V has gone nearly 30 flights without an issue. That RX is installed on my other V450 that i built from parts with the intent to sell. I have emailed wow hobbies and demanded a replacement not only for the 2702V i just purchased, but the other bad one as well for compensation over this horrible crash and all of the previous crashes caused by the other bad RX that came with their WOW manual. So i know it came from them. I am currently awaiting a reply. I will update this later if they agree. Otherwise, i just plan on spending my cash elsewhere, on a different brand too of course.

V450D01 - New $119 RX from wowhobbies, complete blackout! (1 min 0 sec)
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 18, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Nearly aimed right at me the heli lost all power and cyclic control. Nothing i could do but watch and hope it didn't hit me or go far enough to hit my car or someone else. I'm fairly sure, since this is the SECOND 2702V i have experienced this with. The 2702V has a random issue from the factory or perhaps just the ones from wow. That i can't confirm 100%. But i own 3 2702V RX. Using all 3 of them on the same heli, the issue occurs every time with 2 out of 3 of them. The third 2702V has gone nearly 30 flights without an issue. That RX is installed on my other V450 that i built from parts with the intent to sell. I have emailed wow hobbies and demanded a replacement not only for the 2702V i just purchased, but the other bad one as well for compensation over this horrible crash and all of the previous crashes caused by the other bad RX that came with their WOW manual. So i know it came from them. I am currently awaiting a reply. I will update this later if they agree. Otherwise, i just plan on spending my cash elsewhere, on a different brand too of course.

http://youtu.be/Ylq2JfC7dfA
Dude!!!
You have been a crash magnet long enough. That's crazy.
It looked like it went into "time out". Have you ever considered changing flying site, maybe you have some FREQing compition in the area affecting you TX or RX.

Viking
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Dude!!!
You have been a crash magnet long enough. That's crazy.
It looked like it went into "time out". Have you ever considered changing flying site, maybe you have some FREQing compition in the area affecting you TX or RX.

Viking

That is highly unlikely since i flew the yellow v450 with the RX that was previously on this white v450 before this happened. So the new yellow v450 has the "good" rx that i have been flying the last 30 or so flights on, using this now crashed heli. Since this RX was a discounted RX from wow, and it had a ruffed up, dented and used appearance. I have to assume it's a defective unit, just like the previous defective unit. Since the exact same total blackout occurred in the exact same way. Motor spins down slowly while there is no cyclic control and the last swash position is maintained.

I should also mention that i strap down tested the heli with 3 packs the previous night. Not like that matters because i also strap down tested multiple packs in my last defective RX with no issue. Until i fly at the field! Plus none of my other WK heli are doing this crap!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:05 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,151 Posts
Did you do a range check? Have you ever. I have not. Now if your good heli ever goes into a black out its your tx or flying area. Has it ever happened at the soccor field you fly at? Or just the movies
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:04 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
That crash didn't impress me one bit, I thought by now you had sorted out all your problems & I would never see you crash again.

I am going to ask some stupid questions for the people on this thread:

1. Does anybody have the exact same setup as IntegrityHndywrk, like TX/RX/Esc ?

2. On the Esc does everyone set it up using throttle 2

3. I will state something about 2.4 Ghz. it can be interfered with by microwave ovens & wireless routers. I don't know how good these TX's & RX's are at sorting out interference, if jump to a cleaner frequency when disturbed or use some sort of validation byte to eliminate the interference. There are at least 3 different protocols out there for this 2.4 Ghz. TX/RX plus one more, Walkera's.

I would get a different RX & stay away from the 2702V or hopefully someone will step up to the plate and document their setup using the same equipment as IntegrityHndywrk has.

Quote:

]
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,167 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/Ylq2JfC7dfA
Got my V2702Rx from Miracle-mart.com for $85 during the summer. No problem and about two half week delivery. Not sure if they still have in stock.
Mine came bubblewraped.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:09 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,882 Posts
Really, the only change was putting the brand new RX from wow hobbies on it instead of the RX i had been flying. The servo wires were pulled out individually and taped together. They hardly moved. The only other change was installing a tail blade grip and setting the heli back up with the new RX. Then that happens. So, I turn on the other 450 with the RX installed in it that i have been flying for 30 flights, and it flew fine. I shot 2 short videos to use when listing that heli. NO ISSUES! I even did some loops and things. Don't forget guys, there is nothing out here but a movie theater and a highschool football stadium. The next closest thing to here is a private airport. There really couldn't be anything near by that is that strong, i just can't see it.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,259 Posts
Forward Ice 50 mount in the V450

I had originally mounted the Ice 50 on the lower forward deck but after getting concerned about temps of the ice being to high I moved it to the back lower deck under the main gear for cooling. After talking with the Phoenix folks about the designed operating temp for the Ice 50 I am no longer concerned about temps. Being a tad tail heavy the V450 always needed a little more weight sitting on the nose and with the Heavy Ice parked up front it fit the bill nicely. So it's back forward with the Ice and from that change I shortened up the battery wires to save a little weight. The benifit is now the battery position has moved aft a considerable amount which should be good for 3D.
That brings me to my next crazy thought...I love this stuff
When doing pirouette's it's important for the fuselage to be balanced dynamically when spun. If there is an out of dynamic ballance condition that exsists, you won't be able to pirouette as fast as you could if in dynamic balance, the helicopter would IMO have a tendancy to roll off the pirouette and not stay on station during the maneuver.
So...in my mind I am thinking that if I were to set up the TX with a very, very low throttle hold speed, disconnect the servo's from the rotor head, pick the helicopter up firmly by the rotor head with my fist, hold it out at arms length, set the tail blade angle to the direction of rotation and slowly advance the throttle to GENTLY, GENTLY start the fuselage spinning, I should have a very good feel for how it spins in a pirouette and how fast it will spin and stay in reasonable balance. I may be able to rearrange weight to provide the fastest and most stable spin possible. It pirouettes pretty good now but how fast could it go, and how stable could it spin?
Notice I used "I" a lot in the above discussion, that's because "I" don't want anybody else to try this as "I" don't want anyone hurt.
If there is anything possitive or not from the experiment I'll let everyone know.
I'll probable try it on my M120 first...just because.
Has anyone tried this or am I the only fool.

UPDATE: What did I learn?
1. I won't be trying this on the V450, I did however experiment with the M120.
2. Really hard to hold the helicopter stabile while it spins.
3. The battery being closer to the same water line of the tail boom is more stabile. You can see in my pictures below with the V450 battery in this position, it is on the same water line or level of the tail boom which should be optimum. Moving the Ice 50 up under the battery may be a better location for it's weight again wanting the mass to be closer to the centerline of the tail boom...that will be an experiment for another day.
4. Being in good CG is close enough given the speed the tail rotor can drive the pirouette, tried making the tail or nose heavier but never got better results than good CG.

Crazy Viking
Last edited by A VIKING; Oct 19, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:18 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,151 Posts
Well i work for cell phone company and what about microwave antennas??? But i would think it would happen more then. But the skys are crazy!

Quote:
Really, the only change was putting the brand new RX from wow hobbies on it instead of the RX i had been flying. The servo wires were pulled out individually and taped together. They hardly moved. The only other change was installing a tail blade grip and setting the heli back up with the new RX. Then that happens. So, I turn on the other 450 with the RX installed in it that i have been flying for 30 flights, and it flew fine. I shot 2 short videos to use when listing that heli. NO ISSUES! I even did some loops and things. Don't forget guys, there is nothing out here but a movie theater and a highschool football stadium. The next closest thing to here is a private airport. There really couldn't be anything near by that is that strong, i just can't see it.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Well i work for cell phone company and what about microwave antennas??? But i would think it would happen more then. But the skys are crazy!
Well there is an airport about 1000-2000 feet away. Then about 2.5 miles from my house there is a cellular tower loaded with all kinds of goodies. I always laugh when i drive by because it seems like no one else notices how all the trees around the tower are sickly or dead. I'm sure it's perfectly safe to live by that thing and NOT get cancer right? Anyway, there really isn't much in that spot. The bottom of the RX had scratches on it, it was dirty and i suspect they know all about this random issue. I just don't understand how it can strap down test and even hover in my driveway and not have an issue. Then just all of a sudden at the field where the other RX had been flying fine for a few weeks suddenly the heli backs out with this new one i just received being the only change in that time. It's just too much. Even the last RX, the working one i bought on ebay didn't have scratches on the RX. Even the little white sticker was all worn off and torn up.

Plug these numbers into google maps and turn on the satellite view. It's pretty damn empty out there.

29.481597,-81.206367

When i get an X5 or whatever i'll register with the AMA and go here instead: 29.459292,-81.170833 Though they are all fixed wing mostly. So we'll see how long that works out.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:27 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,151 Posts
You have to be standing in front of the antenna to be effected like that, most of the time there are pine trees surrounding the cell sites , cause it looks better than fence, i have never noticed trees getting effected , the towers push rf out , not down , it sucks either way, just have one 450 with the one good rx, get your money back for the others( i hope), and use bad helis for parts. Then you can start saving for you big heli, not fixing the v450 anymore.
Kdean on the clone forum has been having same issuse as you with black outs, , he is going 100% beastx.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,151 Posts
Very nice fly spot !
Also thats why i dont like wow anymore ,first they sell v450s with crap servos, then they give you a scratched rx! Wierd huh,

All my batteries are ready for morning! Then we are taking the kids to the pumpkin patch! Yehaw! Lol
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:16 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
You have to be standing in front of the antenna to be effected like that, most of the time there are pine trees surrounding the cell sites , cause it looks better than fence, i have never noticed trees getting effected , the towers push rf out , not down , it sucks either way, just have one 450 with the one good rx, get your money back for the others( i hope), and use bad helis for parts. Then you can start saving for you big heli, not fixing the v450 anymore.
Kdean on the clone forum has been having same issuse as you with black outs, , he is going 100% beastx.
Well, first of all. I was amazed, and glad that Dkfuji chimed in on another thread about this. He said he and his brother both had the same issues with the v450 and v500. Walkera revised the 2702V with longer RX antenna to help fix the issue. I am going beastX as well. The next time i fly a V450 it will either have a AR7200BX on it or it will simply be for testing to sell. I have no intentions of buying another Walkera heli until they pull their head out of their ass.

I don't want to get into a big thing. But you should know that cell phones and towers are a health risk and are causing cancer all over the world. Don't believe the people you work for, and don't believe me. Go do your own research. But for starters. Here is a recent article since the subject came up.

If cell phone and cell phone tower radiation really is safe, why is India legislating to protect consumers?

Anyway, now after djfuji chimed in. I already knew about Kdean, and have ran across a few others wondering if their RX was bad because of this same issue. I am confident that wow hobbies and Walkera know about this issue by now. Probably since 2011 I have decided i will not be cutting any corners on quality anymore. I'm getting a Gaui X5 with a DX7 or DX8 or i am quitting the hobby. If i have to sell all my other helicopters to get there, fine. I'm sick of fixing them anyway. From what Spyro in the v120 thread says. The 130X, even with it's known issues. Still out performs, is more durable, and over all has better gyros than the v120d02S. So i can't wait to check that out either. I'm kind of excited. I kind of feel like as soon as i get rid of my Walkera helicopters i can enter into the real world of RC helis where you don't spend as much time at the bench as you do in the air!