SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:13 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Now have 15 flights on it. Still no death, destruction or despair. With an 11.1V 25C 3S 2200 it will climb until you lose sight of it (20/15 vision). Working on 4 and 8 point hesitation rolls, slow rolls, smoother Cuban 8's, and knife-edge flight. I will look to the video instructions for Harriers some time soon and see if I can give that one a go.

One of the guys at the park has dialed in some flaperon and it appears to work REALLY well. It knife-edges completely straight on the first notch, and has pretty amazing SLOW speed handling on the second notch. Looked to be about 10% down on the first setting and close to 30-40% on the second. I will follow up if I learn more because he was making some great slow passes.

I have to work out the flaperon approach on my DX-6i, not sure how to set that up yet.

Still undecided on final paint scheme (there are too many stock planes at the field now, it is getting confusing - just like the T-28) but I have decided that I really like the plane.

Now if PZ would just come out with an EDF F-20 w/retracts and a FW-190-D9 with retracts.....are you listening Dave? ;^)
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:03 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2005
202 Posts
Just want to say that I ordered a new lipo to juice the extra. I got the 45C Thunder Power 11.1V 2350mAh lipo. Sooooo excited for 15 minute charges.
samolot is offline Find More Posts by samolot
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:17 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyPilot View Post
Now if PZ would just come out with an EDF F-20 w/retracts and a FW-190-D9 with retracts.....are you listening Dave? ;^)
why would they listen now, they screwed us so they obviously dont care about their long term customers!
jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:06 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2005
202 Posts
Parkzone Extra 300 Happy Owners thread....
samolot is offline Find More Posts by samolot
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:50 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
not many posts in here eh
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:10 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
Well I'm happy.
Flew today in wind from 10-20 mph and the plane handled it well. Plenty of power to go against the wind and plenty of control if I got tossed around.
My wings are flat and she flies great!
wavo is offline Find More Posts by wavo
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:52 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
i think you forgot a few words on the end "at more than 1/2 throttle" is what you forgot.

Have you tried less than half?? tried flat spins?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:40 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel View Post
i think you forgot a few words on the end "at more than 1/2 throttle" is what you forgot.

She flat spins wonderfully and actually flies well at 1/4 throttle. That's why I'm in the happy owners thread, I've never understood what all the hub bub is about.

It's really become my new favorite plane. I love the maneuverability and crispness of it and flight, my other planes feel like junkyard dogs compared to the Extra. But that's just me.
wavo is offline Find More Posts by wavo
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:52 PM
The Flying Butcher
Tiffin Ohio
Joined Jul 2010
21 Posts
fun 2 fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock450 View Post
I came to this web site to share information with other people who share a common interest. I enjoy this hobby as it helps me relax and it's something I can do where there is no stress. There are pleanty of places for people to complain. I would really enjoy if there was a post for people who just want to share useful information. I appreciate all the Info about the wing, but if no one told me, I would never have noticed. Ok it's a problem. Let's move on.
I agree i flew mine for the first time today had already about the wings but dident try to do anything and was very impressed with the model so far no problems at all only time will tell
sklote1964 is offline Find More Posts by sklote1964
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:02 AM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavo View Post
She flat spins wonderfully and actually flies well at 1/4 throttle. That's why I'm in the happy owners thread, I've never understood what all the hub bub is about.

It's really become my new favorite plane. I love the maneuverability and crispness of it and flight, my other planes feel like junkyard dogs compared to the Extra. But that's just me.
give me a pic of your wings, a video of your flight..i dont believe you have flat wings and it still flies like that!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:10 AM
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
532 Posts
Love the plane but I think I have CG issues. Any inputs?
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:07 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401 View Post
Love the plane but I think I have CG issues. Any inputs?
Nose heavy? Tail heavy? Need more info. When set to the 3" figure in the manual it will feel wrong. The suggested CG now sees the battery anywhere from only the cables under the strap to about 1/2" of battery aft of the strap.

I set my 11.1V 3S 2200 so that the aft end of the battery is even with the aft end of the aileron servo wire channel in the foam, basically, I have 1/4" to 3/8" of battery showing aft of the battery strap.

Tracks very smooth with the battery here.

At 1/4 throttle or deadstick it comes down on final like it is on rails.

Good luck and enjoy the Extra, it really is a good plane.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:29 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Have exceeded 2 dozen flights and still no complaints.

Working on aerobatic maneuvers now, inside and outside knife edge turns (first time I have been able to attempt those) and smoothing out/scaling the barnstormer maneuvers to look better (Loops, Cuban 8's, Horizontal 8's, Hammerheads, 4 and 8 point Hesitation Rolls, Barrel Rolls and Inverted Flight). Have not explored spins yet (maybe this afternoon), but I have watched other guys spin them (wings normal and wings flipped) and it looks like it spins real well.

The more I fly it, wings installed as designed, the more I like it. I have not tried the wings flipped and at this point do not intend to.

The combination of power and agility is simply intoxicating and for the life of me I don't understand the complaints. If you fly it well it seems to fly well. I played around with very slow flight and stalls yesterday and still have found no surprises in how the plane behaves - it mimics the observed and expected flight characteristics of the full size plane pretty accurately - you don't fly a real Extra too slow either, at least not without room to recover.

I have been a pilot of big planes for 24 years and only started RC last year - I treat all planes with respect, and I find out what speeds and throttle settings are safe and what are not.

After the horror stories I was really cautious initially but I now comfortably fly the Extra at 1/4 throttle at 4 feet above the ground in average wind and am no longer concerned/scared about it spiraling in - plenty of control authority and if the wind changes you just push in throttle and it will power out with no surprises.

It flies a very realistic traffic pattern from scale altitudes, pull throttle to zero or 1/3 on the downwind abeam your intended touch down point, roll in about 30 degrees and I can let it set its' own trim speed - literally no elevator input other than to counter gusty conditions, touch the power if winds are slowing your ground speed, otherwise just glides in nice and touches down smooth.

As I have said before, this is only my 2nd RC plane ever, first is my trusty T-28 that I still fly - although not as much as the Extra now, I really like it. Once I got comfortable with power-off approach and landing, I can spot land it with good precision and the field in San Diego is off the bay and has gusty wind conditions and tall field grass on the windward side of the runway making for challenging conditions almost all the time.

I would still like to figure out flaperons (DX6-i and AR500) to slow it down even more but it is completely fine as-is. I may droop the ailerons just a touch to clean up knife-edge flight and take less elevator but it is not necessary.

I get happier with the Extra every time I fly it. The only problem I have now is I don't want to take it offline long enough to repaint it and make it more mine.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 07:38 PM
charlotte, nc
Joined Sep 2003
186 Posts
Jaskel,

I do not think anybody in this thread gives a #### about your opinion. Please re-read the title.
bluebird is offline Find More Posts by bluebird
Old Aug 15, 2010, 08:32 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel View Post

Are all 1800 of your posts trolling? You apparently need another hobby in addition to RC planes... you've got too much time on your hands.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate