HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:02 PM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
I would like to propose a challenge to all interested, using a Grim Reaper and a Scythe: Make a plane drop device on the GR to fit the Scythe. Using ONE controller (DX6i, or other multi-aircraft memory controller) Fly the GR up to ~500'AGL and release the Scythe. As fast as possible, land the GR, switch models on the controller over to the Scythe, perform several aerobatics (double loop, triple cork screw/roll to the left and right, & a figure 8) and land within 10' of a designated spot or within 10' of where the GR landed. The fastest time wins. The time starts at the release of the Scythe and ends when the Scythe touches down and stops. If it is out side of 10', there is a time penalty (to be determined after several test runs) for each additional foot or inch from the landing spot. The Scythe has the option to have a motor allowing the flyer to practice this maneuver with the same plane to be used in the competition, however, for the "contest" the motor cannot be used. We may incorporate the ~500'AGL by requiring the GR to have an altimeter (eagle tree or the like) recording device, as well as having a minimum and maximum weight requirement for the GR and Scythe. Your thoughts on this concept and the rules of the game?

Though I have not tested this in flight, I have tested to see if it is possible, using the DX6i, to switch from one model that is powered on to another model that is also powered on. Once the other model was loaded, it took about 3-5 seconds for the receiver and controller to connect. I don't know how this might be affected in flight or at a distance, but I think this is a possible challenge and will be a very competitive game.

Anybody have any input on this? If this is possible to do, would there be anyone interested in having a competition for this at the UnCivil Wars this year?
scootty83 is offline Find More Posts by scootty83
Last edited by scootty83; Mar 09, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:47 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
As a bonus for the next 30 days Titans and Reapers sold will have a free Scythe prototype test kit in the box. All Titan and Grim Reaper kits now come with 36" fiberglass spars too.

The Scythe kit includes EPP foam cores and elevons, laminate, spar, lightweight shock cord, and brochure. Since it is a test kit we are asking you to post on the Scythe site how you set up your servos and linkages and lightweight motors and mounts. This is a link to the Scythe thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204561

Happy flying.

Lee and T.J.

Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Mar 10, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:51 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Isn't a Scythe the tool the Grim Reaper carries?
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
Isn't a Scythe the tool the Grim Reaper carries?
Yup!!! That's where the name came from. Now Titans have them too.

Last edited by Lee; Mar 10, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:56 AM
I can't find my marbles.
Dayton, OH
Joined Dec 2009
69 Posts
Yes, yes it is. Curse you Lee now you have me really wanting to get the GR.
Cap'n Squishy is offline Find More Posts by Cap'n Squishy
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:42 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I flew my Grim Reaper for the first time today. Lee asked me to take lots of pictures of the build and I started off good but soon lost interest in picture taking. If I did post pictures, it would be a "don't do this" kind of thing. I used 3 spars. 2 the length of the wings and one across the rear making an A shape in the bottom of the plane. I used Aluminum arrow shafts for the long spars and a smaller diameter carbon fiber spar for the back.

The thing flies AWESOME! I have flown a lot of wings and this one by far is the best! Its so stable and predictable. I can slow the thing way way down and just before tip stall add just a bit of throttle. Its great!

The only complaint that I have about the Grim is that it floats too well. It feels like I have to make my approaches a mile out if I want to catch the thing. Oh and be careful with that too, I caught it when it was coming in hot and it almost took my arm off! (not really a valid complaint but I had to come up with something for Lee to improve on.)

This thing is going to destroy a lot of Titans and Assasins. Sorry guys.
Ryan
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:35 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken hawk View Post
The only complaint that I have about the Grim is that it floats too well. It feels like I have to make my approaches a mile out if I want to catch the thing. Oh and be careful with that too, I caught it when it was coming in hot and it almost took my arm off! (not really a valid complaint but I had to come up with something for Lee to improve on.)

This thing is going to destroy a lot of Titans and Assasins. Sorry guys.
Ryan
You are such a whiner. First you guys want a plane that will glide better now you complain when we get you one. I think you need to spend a little more time at Golds Gym.

In all seriousness Ryan is a video fanatic. We will have to see what he comes up with.

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Mar 18, 2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:32 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken hawk View Post
I flew my Grim Reaper for the first time today. Lee asked me to take lots of pictures of the build and I started off good but soon lost interest in picture taking. Sorry guys. Ryan
Ryan, me too. I flaked out on taking pictures. I figured I might be doing it wrong so I did not take pictures. As it turned out I had to change quite a few things. I am still not finished ironing out things.

I don't think it's much of a combat plane, although the glide is great and will probably turn into a great thermal wing its just doesn't move and shake like the Assassins or Titans. My plans is to turn it into my Thermal plane when I am by myself. Me and the buzzards.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
The Grim Reaper is a great combat plane if you like the bigger planes.

I have mine set up with so much throw it will snap roll now.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:53 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The Grim Reaper is a great combat plane if you like the bigger planes.

I have mine set up with so much throw it will snap roll now.
Lee's the expert. He knows what works and doesn't. I just stand there and throw rocks at the planes as they fly by. That's combat to me.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:37 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I'm hoping to prove the Grim a true combat plane this weekend but things are not looking so good at this point. If I can break away I will but if not. It will have to wait.
Ryan
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
So where are all the videos and pictures of the GR?! Maybe it can't be photographed.. like vampires! :O
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:53 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbell View Post
So where are all the videos and pictures of the GR?! Maybe it can't be photographed.. like vampires! :O
We've had bad weather and my video editor is down. We will have some soon. Help me guys.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:14 AM
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
Aside from the standard suggested servos and receiver, here are the items I am considering to use on the Reaper

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9608
- These are the batteries I am going to start buying a lot of. They are 3S 40C 1050mAh and can be charged at 5C! (reviews say they charge in about 12-15min at that rate) This way ALL my models will use the same batteries and all have extreme performance! I'll be using two in parallel.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4916
- I was thinking this motor with the suggested 9x6 prop. Anyone know how to make the shaft stick out the other end?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2165
- 40A speed controller, though in the review for the motor it says with the 9x6 prop its pulling about 50A. This controller is rated at a 55A burst. Will this work well?

I am thinking on doing a double bomb drop using two HXT500 servos. I am also going to try and set up a plane drop for the Scythe. But if I can only do one or the other, I'll do the plane drop. I am going to attempt the challenge I posted about previously (I know, you all think I am crazy, but I think it is worth a shot. Plus it'll be fun!)

I have started to build the Reaper. Sorry I haven't posted any pics on it. I will be later on. I am doing a slight modification and will post the process of it. It's going to be sweet!
scootty83 is offline Find More Posts by scootty83
Last edited by scootty83; Mar 20, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:19 AM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
These speed controls are already probably a little overrated so I wouldn't trust the 40 amp with that motor and prop... Go ahead and get the 60 amp version.

And you might be onto something with those batteries.. It's a good size for Assassin's by itself and would probably be good in parallel for the bigger ones as well...

I was actually thinking about a double bomb drop myself earlier.. Wouldn't be hard at all. It would actually even be possible to set it up with one servo. I saw someone do it where he set it on rudder and when he went one way it let go one bomb and when he went the other it did the other bomb.
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell