HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2013, 08:40 PM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
748 Posts
Manfred, the 23 is my own scratch hull. I was only stating that too much brass in the tail may pull the stern down and you may not have enough room to add counter active foam to balance her out.

D
CaptDH is online now Find More Posts by CaptDH
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:43 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Scratchbuild 23!!!, excellent Darrin, do you have pics from the result?
As for the weight at the back, i tried to keep everything as light as possible, still have plenty of room to add some foam blocks.

It's coming along nicely Ken, i have made some new pics from the type XXIII together with my type VII, have some idea's for extending my static display,

She stands nice together with my type VIIC, can wait to slap some paint onto the XXIII, unfortunally first get those sliding things to work, and after that start prepping her up for some trimming sessions.

I added some brackets to the stand of the type VII, which i can remove if needed, i guess i have to make a lockingmechanism to keep the stand of the type XXIII at it's place, you never know if somebody will bump her off.

Last picture from both the conningtowers, it would be nice to crew them both on display stand, still have enough spare guys in storage, we'll see.

Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
Old Oct 19, 2013, 07:54 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Today i've made a vid to show how my sliding stuff is working, used a mini compressor and airswitch to get this in working order, enjoy the vid

Bronco XXIII part 6 (9 min 18 sec)

Manfred.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:35 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
444 Posts
Manfred that is incredible! You are amazing.
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Oct 19, 2013, 06:40 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,851 Posts
What more can you say, Tom is right.

Manfred, what do you do for a living? Some people might have design or mechanical related careers that they use in their hobbies. Or some people just have the skills to do this type of stuff naturally. Although there might be things that are sold that many hours of R&D work go into it before it is put on the market, there are many people that just do this as a hobby and make it look really good.
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:38 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Thanks guys,

Ken,

I'm a security engineer as a profession, so electronics and optical stuff is within my range of experience, learned to play around with the lathe at highschool, as part of my education, also a long history as a static modelbuilder, mostly scratchbuilding at excisting models.
Did rc planes, gliders, rc boats and ended up at submarines, building submarines is just facinating, and you've got the third dimension with them.
The mechanical stuff i learned from a good friend, which thought me everything he knew, and believe me, he knows a lot, had to rebuild parts time after time untill he gave his approval.
Learned all things the hard way, as for off the shelf products, sometimes it's easier to buy them and modify for my use, most of the things i build myself, just because it's fun to do.
It took some years to gather enough experience, but that's all in the game, building submarines ain't simple, but most rewarding if you succeed.

Manfred.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 03:51 PM
BUCURESTI
Joined Feb 2009
198 Posts
What are you do is truly amazing ..... is particularly complex and always make us wonder how and where do you get such briliant ideas.

THANK YOU for sharing with as You knowledge.
profesorul is offline Find More Posts by profesorul
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:05 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Thanks Marius,

Those ideas i've got from other builders and my own experience, combined in a different way, you get my moving stuff as the result.

Right now i'm taking her apart to get some lead and foam inside, it's not a really educational video, but it has to be done,

Bronco XXIII part 7 (8 min 30 sec)

Manfred.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 09:56 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
The game is on!!, she has seen some water in the testfacility,

First i added some foam to encounter my module at the tailpart.

Pretty much the same story for my frontpart, due to the torpedo tubes and doors.

Added about 300 gram of lead to get her near the waterline.

Getting those foam block inside is the next challence, also tested if she would go under, more then enough room inside the ballasttank, size about 400 ml.
To counteract that, i have to add more foam above the waterline, just doing this step by step, so it will take a while to get this done.

Manfred.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:07 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Still struggling with the XXIII, i'll update you guys, pictures

Due to my vertical split, trimming the boat was a adventure, most work was, placing the foam such way that this would not interfere with the WTC.

Normally i would make her ready for the maiden trip, but i still had to adress some attention to the launchtubes and shutters, once in a while my torps got stuck, had to fix that first.

I ended up with making a new rear bulkhead, this way the end of the tubes could be placed near each other on a angle, giving me more room near the shutters.

Closed up the rear of the tubes with this removable hatch, drilled a few holes inside them, so air stays out and water can get in.

Getting the tubes on a angle gives me 1 mm more room at the front, it's not much, but it does the trick.

Had to scrap the lockingballs for keeping the torps inside the tubes, and replaced it by the same method i use with the type VII.

Connected the triggerbars this way with my sliding magnets, a much simpler construction, which works time after time.

Testing this trigger mechanism on land and underwater is my next step, to be continued.

Manfred.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:15 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
The boat is in running order, that is, i still have to make the maiden voyage,.

First part of the vid is about how my newly designed launchtubes are working, second part is about inserting the torps and doing some testing inside the bath, enjoy

Bronco XXIII part 8 (6 min 2 sec)

The conningtower is fully detailed, i'll fill you guys in on this at a later stage with pictures, first the maiden voyage, and hopefully a new vid of the event, to be continued

Manfred.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:58 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,851 Posts
If there was a Like button I'd click it a few times. Neat mechanical solutions Manfred!
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old May 23, 2014, 12:17 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Thanks Ken,

It would be a shame if this gritter has no claws, there was plenty of room inside the front to build this.
Like you, i love to tinker gettings those mechanical solutions to work, it even learned me how to build the launchtubes for my type XVIIb, which is gathering dust right now, she will be next on the list to be finished.

I allready made one maidentrip with the type XXIII, mostly above the water, learned more about the turningradius and if there were dead spots in receiving the signal.
Dove a few times, which revealed i still have to tinker some things, shot a torpedo, the other one got stuck, solving this problems right now, next trip planned this weekend.

A small vid what happened last weekend, not much, but enough to show, enjoy

Bronco XXIII part 9 (1 min 6 sec)

Manfred.
Old May 25, 2014, 11:28 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Made today my second run, i encountered some problems in keeping the boat level, and scooped up some droplets of water in the rear compartment.
As for solving the levelingl problem, i'm going to take her apart and take a look at the connections of my divingplanes, as for the levelkeeper, it worked fine on the shore, i'll simply re-program it, just to be sure the settings are OK.

Enjoy the vid,

Bronco XXIII part 10 (8 min 7 sec)

Manfred.
Old Jun 01, 2014, 02:27 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
373 Posts
Did today testrun number three, shooting torps went well, still have some issue's with driving underwater at high speed.
Have to take her apart and do some calibration tests to find the problem.
Made another vid with the help of my wife, actually she has to get all the credits from all three vids made during the testruns, LOL to my delight she also documented the failures, it's actually good to show how much effort is needed to get a functional running sub.

Enjoy the vid,

Bronco XXIII part 11 (4 min 46 sec)

Manfred.