Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:57 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,929 Posts
Discussion
Medical Question

With neck, shoulder, arm, wrist, and thumb pain (very deep and chronic with time it acute also) and at the same time regularly dropping things and having trouble doing fine task with hands and having a cervical x-ray indicating "Degenrative C-spine at the predominantly C5-6 level. No fracture or dislocation" be a reason for a Doctor to seek an MRI to see if there are problems stemming (pun also) from that area.

Thanks.

PS have had a laminectomy for spinal stenosis at L4-S1 area with further lateral stenosis not at L3-L4 noted in the latest MRI for back and leg pain.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:59 AM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Sorry you are in pain Lyle. If I were you I would explore every avenue possible, and do it now before you are denied treatment under ocare.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:01 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
Sorry you are in pain Lyle. If I were you I would explore every avenue possible, and do it now before you are denied treatment under ocare.
In process and am seeing a pain management Dr. now. Just curious if anyone else has experience such in the neck area.

Ocare is frightening to say the least.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:16 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
With neck, shoulder, arm, wrist, and thumb pain (very deep and chronic with time it acute also) and at the same time regularly dropping things and having trouble doing fine task with hands and having a cervical x-ray indicating "Degenrative C-spine at the predominantly C5-6 level. No fracture or dislocation" be a reason for a Doctor to seek an MRI to see if there are problems stemming (pun also) from that area.

Thanks.

PS have had a laminectomy for spinal stenosis at L4-S1 area with further lateral stenosis not at L3-L4 noted in the latest MRI for back and leg pain.
IMHO, that depends upon what outcome you and the Dr. seek. I had C6-7 impingement causing severe chronic pain for over a month. The MRI showed a disc fragment that was likely pressing on the nerve bundle for the left arm. It reduced on its own without surgery, using a head traction device that I got for $0.25 at a yard sale.......

If you are questioning what your Dr. is doing, I do suggest you get a second opinion. If it is a Primary Care Dr, I would be speaking to him bluntly about why he isn't referring you to a neurologist already. Mine waited 2 weeks. During that time, I was getting about 3 hours of sleep each night, only because the combination of Vicodin and Halcyon allowed that much.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:27 AM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
In process and am seeing a pain management Dr. now. Just curious if anyone else has experience such in the neck area.

Ocare is frightening to say the least.
I know a person with chronic neck pain and after years of this and that it is now managed with Botox injections. This is working where nothing else did. And, a lousy HMO is paying for it no questions!
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:25 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Obama care? Oxymoron.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:29 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,006 Posts
My lower back problems were cumulative and surfaced almost 3 years ago. 4 herniated discs with L5-S1 disc acting on the spinal column and sciatic nerve. Osteophyte formations at L2&3 added to the excitement.

MRI was a great tool to view the conditions. Have you looked at your latest MRI? I'd get the MRI for your neck. Make sure you get your own CD copy.
Use your copy of MRI to get a better second opinion. I feel for ya.
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:34 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Ramsey View Post
My lower back problems were cumulative and surfaced almost 3 years ago. 4 herniated discs with L5-S1 disc acting on the spinal column and sciatic nerve. Osteophyte formations at L2&3 added to the excitement.

MRI was a great tool to view the conditions. Have you looked at your latest MRI? I'd get the MRI for your neck. Make sure you get your own CD copy.
I am going to ask the Pain Management Dr. Tuesday. He is going to inject the L3-L4 area and see what happens. He did the X-ray and I think with the info from it he will do ask for an MRI. But I am going to ask him anyway.

The L3-L4 is literally a pain in the arse (
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:35 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Ramsey View Post

I had a right shoulder MRI (contrast) done in '98. I failed to get a copy. It is now purged from the system. I now get copies of EVERYTHING to keep myself. That is a fair bit this year.

Both shoulders are now titanium and plastic (left 01FEB, right 06JUN). I went to the hospital and got the records of those surgeries (interesting reading), and have mri/xray of lower back for l5 impingement, and xrays of right great toe showing severe DJD (no cartilage, very likely old fracture).

Okay, back to diagnosing LcJ.

Kidding aside, do ensure for yourself that you are getting adequate and accurate care. Do NOT be afraid to confront their opinions if you feel they are not listening to you. I have sometimes stated my opinion of what is happening to me to my doctors, had them ignore it, and then after several months, they arrive at the conclusion I already handed to them. Most of the other times, my conclusion is validated by the doctor in that one visit.

If Doctors really knew it all, they wouldn't call their business a 'practice.'
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:36 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,669 Posts
Well I don't know much about your backside, but I will hold out some hope your Dr. can do a little something for you.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:52 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Hey doc, I understand the prostate exam, but why are both your hands on my hips?

My brother went through something similar. He tried to live with it for a year, doc kept saying it was just muscle spasm. Our mother finally had enough when he called her, he was in soo much pain he was in tears. She brought him promptly to her doctor, who took one look and told him to go across the street to the hospital, and he would contact the surgeon. He at that point couldnt get off the exam table. A ambulance ride over, surgery the very next day. Blown disk, and a pretty severe one. He's fine now. Get more opinions!
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:54 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
Well I don't know much about your backside, but I will hold out some hope your Dr. can do a little something for you.
Well it starts in my back goes down the back, through the glutes then around the front of the leg through the knees and then down.

It will get better.....or not. I am just glad it wasn't messed up where the original surgery was. More problems in a different area is good news.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:58 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
LcJ, my L5 presented on the front of the shin, to the outside of the tibia, and through to the second/third toes.

Check this chart for the different areas affected by L4 vs L5:

http://www.chiropracticposter.com/sclerotomes.html

Better image at this link: http://www.backpain-guide.com/Chapte...culopathy.html

That second link clearly shows the affected areas for the C/T/L level problem points.
Last edited by wrightme; Jul 04, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:11 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,725 Posts
I have some weirdness in my spine as well. Haven't been to get it checked out yet but I can feel my vertebrae move about in the lower portion and once in a while something will pinch. That's when weirdness kicks in along with pain, heat sensations and numbness in legs and arms. Typically left side. I used to think I was having mini strokes
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:26 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,629 Posts
Walk, exercise, join a gym, physical therapy, or whatever it takes to stay off chronic pain meds. They are bad news.
Greybird is online now Find More Posts by Greybird