to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:12 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypopa View Post
Are BH the only people that stock them? Do you think that BH are manufacturing them, or I wonder if they are clones of other models but with the Sky Surfer name that BH gave them?
As you know there are a few 'look alike' EZ*s about.
As you probably know, I have nearly every EZ* clone that is available. The Sky Surfer is only available from only one manufacturer that I found. It took me a looonnnnngggg time to find them. My best guess is that this is where BH is getting them from. I suppose a person could buy directly from them if they wanted to buy 100+ at a time. 1 or two is enough for me.
I have looked high and low for about three months now looking everywhere I could on the net and never found anything. BH did not have them in stock yet - that is the reason for all of the hours of search time. My goal was to find an EZ* clone that flew as exactly as possible to the original. I have always felt that Multiplex charged too much for the plane even though it is an excellent airplane as we both know. Well, the search ended when BH announced that they had arrived. I got one and it is wonderful. I love it. It is exactly the same as the EZ* only with ailerons and an enlarged rudder. IMO, it flies better than the EZ*. One thing I have not shared yet is the one stunt that really makes them different. I have never been able to do an outside loop in an EZ* with NO POWER - just a swoop and yank the elevator full down. The SkyS does it effortlessly. That sort of explains also all the other stuff it can do easily. One other big deal is the expanded cargo bay for FPV folks. They especially will love it. Oh, and as an answer to your question, I have not found anywhere is the last 3 months that carries the SkyS even under another name. Maybe someone will be luckier than I was. But, the price at BH is so reasonable that I just cannot justify spending any more time looking around. I hope that helps some.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:13 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverratss View Post
Mr AJ!!

THANKS for the thread!!

Regards
Jimmy
You are welcome. I am hoping that there will be a lot more folks that contribute their experience and modifications so we can all learn something together.
AJ
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:23 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
I ordered the brushed. If I got the BL upgrade free I would use it.
I planned on putting in a BL anyway. I am looking for a motor that is better than stock. My WH has the 2212-06 motor 2200kv with a 6x4 prop.
I think that combo is a little too much for the WH, SkyS and all the other similar planes. Any suggestions for upgraded motor for the SkyS?

Jim
Hmmmm... I can only give you sort of a non-answer answer. Since I have only just got mine, I have no experience with any other motor than the stock one. I have used the 2212-06 (a 2826-6 is the same motor) a lot. IMO, it would be a little much for the SkyS. For me, I am anxious to try the CF 28-12 motor and see how it does (with a TGS 6x4E or 6x5E). The stock motor has MORE than enough power for the SkyS. But, what the heck. This is a mod forum and that is what I want to try. Of course, I will keep you posted on the results. I have no idea right now what we are up against with the old motor mount and extraction of the stock motor. Again, I hope whoever does it first will share their experience.
FWIW, the prop flew off of mine because of poor design. So, I replaced it with a TGS 6x4E. It is slightly faster now than stock. Here are the numbers (all static with WattsUp meter):
2000Kv
11.18 Ap
11.37 Vm (stock battery)
129.2 Wp
I hope all this helps. Whatever you try, be sure to keep us posted.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 23, 2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:07 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
I ordered the brushed. If I got the BL upgrade free I would use it.
I planned on putting in a BL anyway. I am looking for a motor that is better than stock. My WH has the 2212-06 motor 2200kv with a 6x4 prop.
I think that combo is a little too much for the WH, SkyS and all the other similar planes. Any suggestions for upgraded motor for the SkyS?
Jim
No suggestions there flyV. you are just there. 2200 kv is a little too much but a little too muchfun too
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 21, 2010, 04:15 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
2nd and 3rd SkyS's

I just looked at my order from BH. I ordered my 2nd ARF and enough parts to build a 3rd. My point is I placed that order very late Friday night. So, I assume they got the order at 8am on Monday. Well, guess what? UPS indicates that my package will be here tomorrow (today?) 4/21. That is an amazing 2 1/2 days from order to delivery. I have placed over 300 orders on the internet in the last 2 years and I think this is fastest I have ever received an order. WOW! Golly, I am almost starting to sound like a BH employee. But, anybody who read my initial posts on the BH thread knows that is hardly the case. I am looking forward to getting all that stuff tomorrow so I can report to everyone the exact structure of the fuselage - mainly the motor mount area. I am pretty sure that everyone that owns one and wants to change motors would like to know how the inside is constructed. Of course, I will take detailed pics to share with everyone and get your opinions and feedback.
AJ
Old Apr 21, 2010, 04:21 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Plans for the Sky Surfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
No suggestions there flyV. you are just there. 2200 kv is a little too much but a little too muchfun too
Secretly, I want to put that motor (I have 2 of them in stock) in the SkyS and try model rocketry. Then, THIS one (also in stock). And maybe THIS one, too. Eventually, I want to build a really lightweight SkyS to see how small a motor I can use with some kind of battery to get the longest flight times. Being retired is very cool.
AJ
Old Apr 21, 2010, 04:37 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
As you probably know, I have nearly every EZ* clone that is available. The Sky Surfer is only available from only one manufacturer that I found. It took me a looonnnnngggg time to find them. My best guess is that this is where BH is getting them from. I suppose a person could buy directly from them if they wanted to buy 100+ at a time. 1 or two is enough for me.
AJ
The cost of post from the US, the import VAT, plus the UK post office charge for the collection of the VAT and the privalidge of going to pick it up all increases the total cost.
I have PM BH to see what the post is to the UK.
I wonder what the minimum order would be from the manufacturer?
As for the retirement... Yea great ain't it. And spending the kits inheritence.
Just had a call from my mate Jeff, and we are off now to have a play with our toys.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:18 AM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Hmmmm... I can only give you sort of a non-answer answer. Since I have only just got mine, I have no experience with any other motor than the stock one. For me, I am anxious to try the CF 28-12 motor and see how it does (with a TGS 6x4E or 6x5E). The stock motor has MORE than enough power for the SkyS. But, what the heck. This is a mod forum and that is what I want to try.
I hope all this helps. Whatever you try, be sure to keep us posted.
"That is an amazing 2 1/2 days from order to delivery."
"Being retired is very cool."
AJ
AJ,

That motor looks like a good candidate to try.
You have better luck with shipping than me.
I think my order is stuck in limbo.
I'm not retired so I'm off to get ready for work.
I have a felling I will never be able to retire.

Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:35 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Subscribing!

Hi, AJ, and thanks for starting this thread! I am watching it with interest, being a big fan of the Multiplex Easy Star. After watching your videos, and pm-ing you, I am interested in the SkySurfer. However, I need to be sure that Banana Hobbies will ship my order quickly.

Saralyn, glad to see you on this thread! Can you tell me what your current inventory is (as of April 21) and when an order would ship if placed today?

I'm interested in the SkySurfer ARF with the brushless upgrade (and any other extras that happen to "fall into the box" ).

Thanks, everyone!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Last edited by Chairwolf; Apr 21, 2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
guys Ive just finished installing the 2200kv on the wingdragon. Well probs to follow

1st problem--I did a test with my watt meter showing that it draws 25amps with my 2200mah 11.1v battery charged at 11.7volts
2nd problem-- my ESC is the stock 18amp art-tech ESC
3rd problem--It seem that the motor is warming up ? ? ? ?(how is this possible)
4th problem-- I will not resist the temptation to go fly it as soon as my li-po is fully charged
5th problem-- the fields are all yellow infront of my house so there is a danger of fire after i burn it and crash

thoughts:

1) I'm using a more heavy propeller 7x4 which is actually suitable for nitro planes
Maybe using a lightest propeller will decrease amp draw
2) I ve got a lighter propeller but I don't have the tool to create a larger hole (so this would propably go as problem no.6)
3) I have to use my 50amp ESC that used to be in the F-22 but what the hell --I'm bored to solder now I just wanna fly...

See you after the crash or burn or the lucky fly...
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
7th prob... forgot to use some locktite on the spinner and I lost the spinner and the prob out in the field.. HAHAH
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:28 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Hello AJBAKER
SARG5 from Kansas here.
I just found your thread on the Sky Surfer. I am just getting started in E-flying. Have an EZ for a trainer and a Magister for my 2nd trainer. The SkyS looks interesting. How much was the cost after shipping and all? Also what kind of foam is the Sky S made out of.
I looked at the mfg. www. site. did not tell me much
SARG5
FLYING AND SEEING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:30 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
387 Posts
Failure to fly.

Sorry, wrong board.
SquireM is offline Find More Posts by SquireM
Last edited by SquireM; Apr 21, 2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Wrong board.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Fixed it... I used another spinner actually and my older prop.. with a little mod it fitted..
Well I noticed a lot of turbulance when at full Throttle so I brought it down ... I checked my mount but it was just fine.. I realised it was the main wings.. the rubber bands couln't hold it in place so I used another 4... total 6
I handlaunched once again ..

GUYS THE VERTICALS WERE JUST ENDLESS..and when I say endless I mean it. it could easily be compared to the climbing ability of my friends petrol YAK-54 with 1.85m wing span. Actually it seamed even better but I'm just afraid to say that out in public until I post a video.Shame I couldn't get anyone to record that... It was windy but it flew GREAT.

BUUUUT... another prob came up.. the riser mount that I created couldn't take it and it cracked.. so instead of letting it crack in the air I snapped it off.. so I need something more durable now.

Respect to my ESC that could take that that burden of 28 amps while it's just 18 and the battery also warmed up but ok I overdone it with the verticals..

Supersonic V2 motor = success on a plane that's heavier than the SkyS. I recommend it for anyone.