HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
Registered User
elcid79's Avatar
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
Thats what I was looking for! I found it. I wound up cutting off a tip of the nose to get at it. I didn't want to have to do that, but C'est la vie. It was rather tough to find. I took a T-Pin and inserted it several times, then took a knife and just cut off the end of the nose to find it. what a nuissance.
So I made the problem worse. Haha, I removed a small metal weight, and attached a 200lb man to the front of the airplane. Stupid CA. Haha. Thats the first time I have ever made that particular mistake. HAHA,..
elcid79 is offline Find More Posts by elcid79
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 11:10 AM
Registered User
taz101's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
Thats what I was looking for! I found it. I wound up cutting off a tip of the nose to get at it. I didn't want to have to do that, but C'est la vie. It was rather tough to find. I took a T-Pin and inserted it several times, then took a knife and just cut off the end of the nose to find it. what a nuissance.
Yes, a bit of a nuisance but well worth the effort!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 01:24 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
Thats what I was looking for! I found it. I wound up cutting off a tip of the nose to get at it. I didn't want to have to do that, but C'est la vie. It was rather tough to find. I took a T-Pin and inserted it several times, then took a knife and just cut off the end of the nose to find it. what a nuissance.
My nose weight rattles around a little so I know it is still there. Must have come loose in one of my nose landing.

Now that I have a couple of 2200mah batteries I can replace my 1300mah but will have to perform surgery to remove the weight. I will go through the wall from the cockpit since I have to expand the area for the bigger battery.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Sometimes, (i.e. on V3 RTF), there is a sizable ball bearing in a small pocket in the front of the fuselage. Hold the front of the fuselage up to a bright light and see if you spot the shadow of it.
AJ
AJ

Those two pieces have different mass. Did they both come from a Skysurfer?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 02:06 PM View Post
ecovato
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. Show it to me anyway.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:03 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecovato View Post
IMHO keeping the battery in there just adds weight with no benefit. The idea behind the connector is to increase reliability while removing weight!

Aircraft control will not be lost from this addon. The battery draw is dominated by the motor not by the electronics. That's why you always lose motor power without losing control. I've drawn down the primary batteries significantly and with no effect on control or video recording!

Search "808 #16 receiver power cable" on Ebay.
I just did and purchased the item for $4.62 shipped. Thanks for the link.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; May 16, 2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
AJ

Those two pieces have different mass. Did they both come from a Skysurfer?
That is weird. But, probably, Yes.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 03:50 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That is weird. But, probably, Yes.
AJ
I guess I will dig mine out and send you a pic along with the weight. I know it is not just washers but something more solid. Round or cylinder is still the question.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Worthless weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I guess I will dig mine out and send you a pic along with the weight. I know it is not just washers but something more solid. Round or cylinder is still the question.
Ah. Got it. I am betting that you have one like the one below. It was used with some number of V2's. Oh, don't slice the fuselage - It is not necessary. Take a common table knife (dull type) and gently tease the fuselage apart from the tip of the nose. It should come apart fairly easily. Most Sky Surfer fuselages are held together with double-sided scotch (cello?) tape. After removing weight, you should probably use another piece of double-sided tape or just CA it back together or ??-your choice. Let me know how it goes.
AJ
P.S. If CA was originally used to join the fuselage halves together; then, surgery is required - Get out the #11 blade.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 16, 2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Add pic
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Ah. Got it. I am betting that you have one like the one below. It was used with some number of V2's. Oh, don't slice the fuselage - It is not necessary. Take a common table knife (dull type) and gently tease the fuselage apart from the tip of the nose. It should come apart fairly easily. Most Sky Surfer fuselages are held together with double-sided scotch (cello?) tape. After removing weight, you should probably use another piece of double-sided tape or just CA it back together or ??-your choice. Let me know how it goes.
AJ
P.S. If CA was originally used to join the fuselage halves together; then, surgery is required - Get out the #11 blade.
AJ

I think you nailed it. I do have a V2. Since I have had a number of "nose hits" I have added clear packing tape along the top and bottom fuse seam. I will have to cut into that to take it apart but I don't know how fragile the nose will be when I cut the tape.

What I was thinking about was to go thru the internal wall between the cockpit and the space that holds the weight. It is no longer glued in place so should be easy to remove once i have a big enough hole. That would also enlarge the space for the larger 2200mah battery.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
<snip>
What I was thinking about was to go thru the internal wall between the cockpit and the space that holds the weight. It is no longer glued in place so should be easy to remove once i have a big enough hole. That would also enlarge the space for the larger 2200mah battery.

Vince
Cutting that area out is MUCH easier if you separate the fuselage in the front first. It is also a much cleaner modification because you know exactly how deep you are going into all areas of the foam. That is what has worked for me in many planes. I had much better results than trying to remove its tonsils by starting in its stomach.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 07:54 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Cutting that area out is MUCH easier if you separate the fuselage in the front first. It is also a much cleaner modification because you know exactly how deep you are going into all areas of the foam. That is what has worked for me in many planes. I had much better results than trying to remove its tonsils by starting in its stomach.
AJ
I have performed the surgery and the patient survived.

It was a tubular lead tumor just under 1oz.

Forgive my less than state of art weighing system.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 08:09 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Grazer's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Bixler + GoPro + Surf beach

Here is a test flight I did with my customised Bixler carrying a GoPro Hero.

The longer term plan is to fly FPV, however I just want to be sure this will be a good platform. It actually does really well and will continue with this plane.

Enjoy!

Bixler surfing (3 min 4 sec)
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
Registered User
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Hi all- I'm trying to help my dad get into the hobby with a bixler- I already helped add most of the main mods- can anyone please confirm the correct way to glue the stock arf wooden motor mount in and what the correct thrust angle needs to be (eg. Slightly down and to the right as you look from the tail towards the nose or anything else)? the wooden block has a specific shape and yet it doesn't seem so obvious as to how it fits into the foam mounting area as the shape in the foam that it needs gluing to isn't a particular snug fit with the shape of the block..- any pointers/pictures to the correct way to mount would be appreciated Also not sure how to glue the block in whilst preventing the metal 'drum' of the motor from touching the foam (to allow free movement of the motor fully).. sorry if this has already been answered but this is the only thing holding my dad back from flying and quite honestly cannot read the 1000+ pages here to find this out- thank for any understanding person out there who has any advice for this and can answer- cheers!
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
754 Posts
Just finished a quieter Sky Surfer using a 9" Trojan prop (trimmed 1/4" per side), Turnigy Park480 1100kv motor, Hobbywing 40a ESC (overkill) and four MG90s servo. About one third the noise of a 6" 2200kv setup. Needs more nose weight. I'm going to pull the ESC and put it closer to the nose or get a heavier battery.
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 03:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 03:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM