SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:29 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Hello Egidio.

There are no bug issues that have been reported for the DX8 at this point.

Andy
Andy - with the greatest of respect (and I mean it - your patient guidance / support here has been outstanding!), I do think there is something going on with poor centering of the rudder and aileron channels. I guess you could say this is not a 'bug' in the software sense, however it seems to be more than an isolated incident.
boltor is offline Find More Posts by boltor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:09 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Another Roll Of The Dice!

I put this on backorder last night, I got the 15% off, It says due early April so hopefully Horizon gets it right by then. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodId=SPMR8800
Hopefully in the future they make Rx's with built in telemetry like HiTec does already. For now I will use the existing AR6200's I already have in my planes. I hope this isnt a bad idea!
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:10 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,651 Posts
I hope so, also
But I will put other RX in my 450 (AR6115E or AR600)

I will keep you informed what HH Germany is finding with my setup.

Today I was flying with my good, old DX6i. No crashes, but the sticks feel not right
No automatic timer...
I miss my DX8
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:25 PM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Since we know the DX8 is 11ms and 2048 res. capable, does anyone know if it's all channels or just ele, ail, aux1?
Confuzshuz is offline Find More Posts by Confuzshuz
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:33 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,651 Posts
I assume it's on all channels, otherwise it would be false advertising...
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
I assume it's on all channels, otherwise it would be false advertising...
not necessarily false advertising as there is no indication as to how many channels are 11ms and 2048 res. I've seen a review on the DX7se that only the ail,ele, and pitch channels are 11ms. Don't know how accurate it is, but it's there.
I'm assuming that the dx8 is 2048 res in all channels, but is with only 3 channels that 11ms, just like the DX7SE.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:02 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,651 Posts
Interesting. Since the DX7SE is a special heli-transmitter, it seems logical, but the DX8 is universal. Maybe Andy can clear the sky
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:09 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,748 Posts
That's low-level radio stuff I simply don't know for sure. I suspect it's the 3 primary channels. Here's how I think you can find out all by yourself.

Using a high-speed receiver (AR8000) and your high-speed transmitter (DX8), hook up 8 ANALOG servos and a battery (on a Y). Set your frame rate to 22ms and then bind.

After it's bound, try twisting each servo. You'll feel a buzz as it fights back. The buzz frequency matches the frame rate.

Now re-bind it at 11ms.

Repeat the twisting test. If they're all buzzing at the same frequency as before, it's 22ms. If they're all buzzing higher, they're all at 11ms. If some buzz higher than the others, you have your answer - it's mixed, and you can feel which ones are which.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:34 PM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
thanks for the response, Andy.

Definitely Ail, Ele, and Aux1 are the only 11ms

This was easier for me:
Tested on the AR8000, DSMX mode, 11ms setting

Throttle

Aileron

Elevator

Rudder

Gear

Aux1

Aux2

Aux3 had the battery plugged into it, therefore, no visual.
Didn't check for resolution, don't know how.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:34 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
I've been a pretty loyal Spectrum user and advocate in my parts of the world. I've got several DX5(e)s, DX6i's and a DX7. I wanted to move up to a radio system with built in telemetry. I debated hard between the DX8 and A9. I really did like the A9 feature set better but the 11ms rate on the DX8 was nice as I also fly helis. I also have 30 something spectrum receivers already in my birds. I went with the DX8 specifically because I could still bind to all my own birds sans the telemetry. I thought this trade off was worth it for the short term at least.

First flight with my new radio was using it bound to my PA MX Extra. About 2-3 minutes into flight I did a blender and lost all control of the aircraft. Nothing, no response. LUCKY for me I was very high which is unusual for me. About 3 to 4 seconds into the death spiral I gain control back and was able to pull out inverted 20 feet off the deck. Came in and landed. Before unhooking battery, did a range check (didn't try this before flying) and got 35 to 40 paces away from the plane with my back to the plane. Checked out ok. Took plane apart to take home and diagnose problem. Same day flew my brand new Addition X with no problems at all.

Get home, can't find any problems with PA MX. For kicks pulled Airboss ESC 80 and replaced with an ICE and also pulled the receiver and put another in. I took the AdditionX, MX and A-10 EDF. Next day back at the field did a range test first with no problems on the AdditionX. Flew a pack with no problem. Next did a range check of the A-10, no problem on the ground. Took her up and just got it trimmed out and was banking left and everything just "turned off". Plane just banked to the left and went in from 150' or so. I felt helpless. Plane was destroyed.

Next flight of the day was the MX. Again a range test that was fine. Get up in the air and less then 2 minutes into the flight I loose control about 50 feet from me with the plane about 30 feet high over the runway. Again by sheer luck I get it back just as she is about to hit the deck. Pulled up hard and got into a harrier about 2 -3 feet off the deck. Got her down in one piece again.

First receiver in the MX was a 6200, receiver used in the A-10 was a 6200, replacement receiver in the MX was a 6200. Receiver used in the AdditionX was a 7000. Things that make you go hmm. After more experimenting, put all "bad" 6200s in other planes and bound back to DX7. Not a glitch in 10-15 packs. Put a 6200 in a foamy and bind to DX8. Glitch and crash.

After further testing I'm not having any problems with AR500s with the DX8. I have some 6100 and 6100e receivers but I haven't tried them with the DX8 yet. Probably close to 15 of my 30 receivers are 6200s so I'm not a happy camper right now!!!

What I know right now. All my receivers work with the DX6i, DX7 with no known issues that I'm aware of. 6200 and DX8 combo is fatal for me and easy to reproduce time and time again within a few minutes of flying. Doesn't matter if used with separate ubec or battery pack. It's a transmitter/receiver issue for sure. Also worth noting from my observations is that I do not need to be pushing the plane. It has glitched while doing nothing more then a simply banking turn on the 6200. Distance has not factored in either. I've had several "shutdowns" at very close ranges in the 50' range.

All flying on the DX8 has been with Airwave 2.01 only. I have not used any of the telemetry warnings or count down timers. I was not aware of the 6200/DX8 issue mentioned here in the forums until AFTER I figured this out for my self. Then after discovering all the mentions of this in the forums I've done enough testing myself to know this is a problem for sure. I still do not know if the 6100s are going to be a problem.

Needless to say I'm a bit bothered by this. I have not seen any official response from HH to even acknowledge this is in fact a problem, let alone any type of time line to get this fixed.

As the President of our local AMA club and member of several other clubs, I'm presenting my finding to the clubs and making a motion to ban the use of the DX8 until this problem has been sorted out and fixed by HH. SAFETY must come first and the DX8/6200 combo is a bad accident waiting to happen.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:54 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
...As the President of our local AMA club and member of several other clubs, I'm presenting my finding to the clubs and making a motion to ban the use of the DX8 until this problem has been sorted out and fixed by HH. SAFETY must come first and the DX8/6200 combo is a bad accident waiting to happen.
My first flight with the DX8 were with AR6200 and I had issues but none that affected flight. I still have issues with them and they are nicely tuck inside my radio case.

I doubt motioning for a ban will do anything except anger those have do not have any issues. I know I would be upset if a banned was issues by the club because one club member had issues.

Yes it sucks, but put them aside and contact HH. Nothing good will come out of motioning for a banned. Another great reason to add to my list of reasons why I dont like clubs.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:00 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
...As the President of our local AMA club and member of several other clubs, I'm presenting my finding to the clubs and making a motion to ban the use of the DX8 until this problem has been sorted out and fixed by HH. SAFETY must come first and the DX8/6200 combo is a bad accident waiting to happen.
It seems to me you have been very thorough. Thanks for the work despite the costs.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:00 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I put this on backorder last night, I got the 15% off, It says due early April so hopefully Horizon gets it right by then. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodId=SPMR8800
Hopefully in the future they make Rx's with built in telemetry like HiTec does already. For now I will use the existing AR6200's I already have in my planes. I hope this isnt a bad idea!
VP
I thought you already had one.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:08 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
I thought you already had one.
He returned it to only get another of the later more recent versions. He had issues with his first.

Confused myself when I read this the first time.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:13 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Another great reason to add to my list of reasons why I dont like clubs.
Yep! I was in a club a few years ago when Spektrum 2.4GHz was introduced, and would you believe it, they banned it totally because of the risk from a "nearby" wireless router network. When I say "nearby", I mean over 3km away!!!!

Naturally the issues people were having involved incorrect binding, improper power setups, etc, etc.

goodbye club!
boltor is offline Find More Posts by boltor