New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2014, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by Aeronut41
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
517 Posts
Discussion
Cyber Dactyl

Another new toy to play with, the Cyber Dactyl at Toys R Us. Picked one up today and it seems well made. Weather permitting I'll try it out tomorrow. It has a special button on the tx that causes it to circle overhead automatically! We'll see! Anyway, looks like more backyard fun Aero

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/rc-vehicl...-1008-33799406
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2014, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by ZTEX
Joined Aug 2013
338 Posts
Interesting, on the video it flies fast and wery well . Seems it turns by tilting the V tail along the tail conecting rod ? This is an interesting and fresh idea.
Radio sistem is 2.4 GHz . And the price is $22

To all : pls observe the wings AOA regarding the body and observe in the video how horizontal is the body during the level flight .

Thx for sharing!
TX Juice Cyber Dactyl with Auto Circling (0 min 31 sec)
ZTEX is offline Find More Posts by ZTEX
Last edited by ZTEX; Nov 30, 2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
4,633 Posts
wing/body incidence w.r.t tail & flight attitude

snips from video
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Dec 01, 2014, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by ZTEX
Joined Aug 2013
338 Posts
Side view picture.
Last edited by ZTEX; Feb 16, 2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 09:43 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
517 Posts
Thanks for the vid link, Ztex. Braved the cold and wind and did a quick test flight. Flys very well. The flap rate is much slower than the Air Hogs fire and more bird (pterodactyl ) like. Responds quickly to the controls. Haven't figured out what the control method is yet without taking it apart. The tail doesn't rotate and the back of the wing is rigidly attached so it's a mystery to my old brain! More testing when the wind goes down Aero
Old Dec 01, 2014, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by ZTEX
Joined Aug 2013
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41 View Post
Thanks for the vid link, Ztex. Braved the cold and wind and did a quick test flight. Flys very well. The flap rate is much slower than the Air Hogs fire and more bird (pterodactyl ) like. Responds quickly to the controls. Haven't figured out what the control method is yet without taking it apart. The tail doesn't rotate and the back of the wing is rigidly attached so it's a mystery to my old brain! More testing when the wind goes down Aero
I have to thank you for the info . Don't take it apart , enjoy it until the battery is in good condition.
You just can check what it is doing when hold it in the hand ( power on)and exercise the direction control stick on the transmitter left/right and observe the tail action in the same time.

I will buy one this evening and will report about it here tomorrow .http://t.toysrus.com/skava/static/pr...ww.toysrus.com
Not sure but I think it share the same flapping mechanism and wing design with this bat .
Old Dec 02, 2014, 01:49 AM
Find More Posts by ZTEX
Joined Aug 2013
338 Posts
Hi guys ,
As I promised this evening I bought one of this toys .
It's realy well made ,packaged in luxury box with nice 2.4 GHz radio link .
The range is 50 m . The charging cable can be plugged in to the TX USB port or in any ather USB port for charging the bird.
The TX needs 4 AA 1.5 V batteries but I powered it with 4 NiMh Rechargable AA size batteries and it worked just fine.
It flies and respond realy very well .
The tail hasn't any active role in turning process!!!
But how then it turns so well?!
Started to play with direction stick and when turned it to the left without any throttle input the wings started to flapp but not with the maximal possibleflapping frequency but probably one third of it.
Returned it to middle position and the wings stopped the flapping .
Turned the stick to the right and wings started to flapp again with the same flapping frequency.
I was super confused but when changed directions it's seemed to me that in the left position one of the wings was leading another one and the leader was changed when the direction stick was moved to opposite direction.
From what I seen thru the hole for conecting rods this is an simple and unsimetrical flapping mechanism with one crank and two conecting rods betwin the crank and the spars this confused me even more but after some brainstorming solved the rebus.

This turning solution remaind me on one electronic musition's slogan wich is :"Every defect - effect"

Most of you probably know that unsimetrical flapping mechanisms initiate some permanent turning of the ornithopters in only one and the same direction determined by the turning direction of the motor. Reverse the motor and such unsimetrical flapping mechanism will start to turn the bird to the another side.

Now the most interesting part - the dissection :

The body is made by black EPP which is durable in crashes but when tryed to open the body the connection betwin foam cells turns out weaker then the glue wich sticks both body halves !!!
However opened it after few minutes fight and the view from the opened body isn't very pleasant .
As a compensation the view from the guts will please everybody .
There are high quality two stage gearbox with acetal gears , brushed 6 mm pager motor with press fitted on the shaft brass pinion , nice made PC board with 2.4GHz RX and reversable brush ESC on it , 75mah Single cell LiPo battery, few conecting wires and square carbon tube along all the way from driving mechanism to the end of the foam body .
On the end of the body the first square CF tube connects to the tail supporting one via plastic connector which hold both tubes under an angle of about 150- 160 degree. On the end of the second CF square tube the V tail is mounted firmly by two additional plastic brackets.

Now was the momement to confirm the initial suggestion . Turned on the power of the bird and the TX and started to play with sticks.
When the direction stick was moved to the left the gearbox rotated in opposite direction then when the direction stick was moved to the right .

I am ready to shake the hand and to take my hat off for the guy whose design it is .
Although this sistem can't turn the bird with stopped wings and there isn't any glide lock .

Expect the pictures tomorrow on day light they will be much better.

That's all , good night
Old Dec 02, 2014, 02:38 AM
Find More Posts by KOROBELNIK
PARIS
Joined Oct 2002
865 Posts
Thank you already for this beautiful description
KOROBELNIK is online now Find More Posts by KOROBELNIK
Old Dec 02, 2014, 08:00 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
517 Posts
This morning though it was only 16 degrees F. the wind was down so gave "Terry" a longer flight. Flys very well though it has a slight right turn. No trim lever so will try adding some foil to the left wing ala the Avitron trim method before the next flight. The auto circling feature is cool. As long as the button is held it will orbit in a level circle about 20 feet feet in diameter! Its all automatic and it holds the proper throttle setting so it doesn't descend or climb! Maybe a gyro in the circuitry?? Anyway, certainly a fun bargain. Look forward to Ztex's photos of the innards! Aero
Old Dec 02, 2014, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by ZTEX
Joined Aug 2013
338 Posts
Pictures

Pictures as promised .
Last edited by ZTEX; Dec 02, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2014, 09:10 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
517 Posts
Another discovery. ZTEX's pic of the TX board shows two micro switches which are really trim buttons. They are not mentioned anywhere in the instructions but the two yellow spots which look like decorations are the trims. Took another flight and they work fine. To top it off a large crow dived at "Terry" and almost grabbed him for breakfast Best, Aero
Old Dec 02, 2014, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by ZTEX
Joined Aug 2013
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41 View Post
Another discovery. ZTEX's pic of the TX board shows two micro switches which are really trim buttons. They are not mentioned anywhere in the instructions but the two yellow spots which look like decorations are the trims. Took another flight and they work fine. To top it off a large crow dived at "Terry" and almost grabbed him for breakfast Best, Aero
Yes but I missed to check the function yesterday until my bird was in flying condition and nothing mentioned about it in the "manual". Probably it trim direction stick center point.

Found some difference in the lengths of the TX and RX antennas which mean that probably the range can be improved very easy and maybe it is made purposely !
Old Dec 02, 2014, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by KOROBELNIK
PARIS
Joined Oct 2002
865 Posts
Ztex thank you for these very informative pictures
PS You do not have scalpel blades?
this is not a dissection but a real butcher ;-))
KOROBELNIK is online now Find More Posts by KOROBELNIK
Old Dec 02, 2014, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by ZTEX
Joined Aug 2013
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOROBELNIK View Post
Ztex thank you for these very informative pictures
PS You do not have scalpel blades?
this is not a dissection but a real butcher ;-))
Ha,ha
Yes I have them but want to see you to do it with this foam . It's very easy to separate it betwin the cells.

Don't worry I will make a better bird like body for it and it will fly again.