New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2015, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by kapatou
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts
Hello all,

I have had a Gamma 370 for more than a year now, and I have experienced some issues while flying regarding the signal / reception.

I originally bought the RTF version, upgraded to brushless setup, aileron wing and now using 3s batteries - it's been great. I still use the original 6ch ares Tx/Rx.

The problem I have is that I will sometimes get full elevator down signal for no reason, for about a split second (which is obviously not good if I am low or on landing approach...) I have tried with brand new Tx batteries, changing LiPos etc, it still happens once in a while (1 out of 3-4 flights I'd say). It happens when she is in range too, and nobody else is flying around, I don't believe this is a problem with loss of signal.

Have any of you using the original tx/rx ever experienced this? I am wondering if this is just interferences picked up by the mediocre stock Rx.

I am expanding my fleet of planes and am hoping to buy a dx6 soon for my birthday which will hopefully solve the problem Are there generally less interference with the DSMX technology in that type of Tx/Rx ?

Thank you!
kapatou is offline Find More Posts by kapatou
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2015, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
645 Posts
I've never experienced that with the original radio. I only used it about 20 times before upgrading to a DX6i; and then to a DX6.
Maybe a dead spot of some kind? Is it the same general location? I was flying at a field and people said "don't go over there, there's no signal". So, of course, I did. And I lost signal!!

Regards
Joe Perrone is online now Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Apr 22, 2015, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by Tman00
Joined Mar 2015
5 Posts
Introduction and neebie question

Hello, I am new to the hobby and this forum. My son and I have gotten into the RC world and we bought an RTF Ares Gama 370. My son has taken too it quite well and easy.. Myself on the other hand am old and struggling but still enjoy it very much. Anyway we have had several issues with loss of signal and no response from the plane resulting in several crashes. The first was with the old style connectors (parts broken were replaced by Hobbytown). We upgraded to the brushless system and they came with the deans style connectors. We also upgraded to a new battery. First flight went great (son was flying) he said it was very fun. Then without warning ,he said I have no control. I looked at him and he is pushing every control on radio and nothing is happening. Planes crashes. We repair, replace batteries in transmitter and try again. This time on take off it makes a hard right hand turn and noses straight into the ground. Repair again. Next flight about 2 mins in lose signal/power and crashes again. Not sure it is repairable this time. After reading through this thread it seems that some are having a similar issue. Was thinking about getting another Gama and installing my own radio/rec. and hope this was the issue. What do the masses say?
Tman00 is offline Find More Posts by Tman00
Old Apr 22, 2015, 09:04 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
645 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the stock transmitter/Rx; but that doesn't mean it can't happen. There's another thing that might be going on with your system; it could be it has gotten damaged in the crashes. I had that happen to a Futaba Rx, it started doing intermittent things. I kept using it until I had a throttle up/runaway on the ground. That was scary!!!

You can spend a lot on a new Tx/Rx; or not much. A DX4e will do the basics, and a Lemon Rx is fairly inexpensive.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by Tman00
Joined Mar 2015
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yes it is possible it got damaged in one of the crashes and that is the reason I am looking at another plane. I think we will stay in the hobby so I wanted a little bit of an upgrade. Was looking at the Tactic TTX 650 with rec. Anyone using this system. Good points/bad points?
Tman00 is offline Find More Posts by Tman00
Old May 01, 2015, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by Sarge707
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
253 Posts
So I got the Ares Gamma 370 all set with Ailerons and painted and Run the Motor for about 45 Seconds today and The Plastic Shaft holding the Brushed Motor Cracks where the screw comes in from the top- Oh Great?
I have a Amazon Claim in Already.
My options are to try to glue the Shaft assembly to the plastic shaft OR "Better Yet" Have Amazon insist HobbyTown send me the brushless motor upgrade where you cut off the shaft before my problem area. I did not even fly it!!!!
That long Plastic shaft has to cause problems for a Brushless motor Hanging way out there? Anyone have this happen? I will pursue it for a solution!
Sarge707 is offline Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old May 01, 2015, 11:26 PM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
645 Posts
I have 3 brushless Ares, 2 of which I've converted from brushed to brushless. The plastic shaft on the brushed version has to be shortened for it to work with the brushless motor; after that it doesn't create any problems.

There's a recess in the shaft, showing exactly where the cut needs to be made. I used a mini hacksaw with a fine tooth blade; most people will recommend a dremel tool with cut off wheel.

The screw hole is used to retain either the brushed or the brushless motor. If it is just a little crack, you could repair by filling it in with epoxy, and then carefully drilling a pilot hole a little undersize, then threading it with the screw. I would suggest this approach over gluing the motor mount to the shaft, as this leaves you with limited future options.

The screw doesn't have to be torqued too much, as the motor mount fits fairly tightly to the square shaft
Old May 02, 2015, 07:12 AM
Joined Apr 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perrone View Post
I have 3 brushless Ares, 2 of which I've converted from brushed to brushless. The plastic shaft on the brushed version has to be shortened for it to work with the brushless motor; after that it doesn't create any problems.

There's a recess in the shaft, showing exactly where the cut needs to be made. I used a mini hacksaw with a fine tooth blade; most people will recommend a dremel tool with cut off wheel.

The screw hole is used to retain either the brushed or the brushless motor. If it is just a little crack, you could repair by filling it in with epoxy, and then carefully drilling a pilot hole a little undersize, then threading it with the screw. I would suggest this approach over gluing the motor mount to the shaft, as this leaves you with limited future options.

The screw doesn't have to be torqued too much, as the motor mount fits fairly tightly to the square shaft
My Message to them with attached pictures-You will see what I mean.
"After painting, Installing ailerons and buying a gyro I ran the motor on the Gamma 370 (Never Flown- Just testing engine) and after a minute the motor started to wobble around as it had broken from the long stem holding it in place. The stem cracked where the stock screw was.
The only way to fix this is if you send me FREE of charge the Brushless Motor/Esc combo because I can cut off the stem at the line indicated and attach the Brushless Motor. I cannot return it as I have already Painted it and added ailerons!!!"

Attached are 3 Pictures and I am sure you will agree the only honest resolution is to send me the Brushless Motor/Esc combo (App. $39.99) to solve the problem.

SEE ATTCHED PICTURES!!!!
Old May 03, 2015, 03:23 AM
Find More Posts by Hingo
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
165 Posts
Ares Gamma 370 RTF and RFR (Ready-For-Receiver)

The brushed motor is crap anyway. Just buy the brushless kit and get flying.
Hingo is offline Find More Posts by Hingo
Old May 03, 2015, 07:56 AM
Joined Apr 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingo View Post
The brushed motor is crap anyway. Just buy the brushless kit and get flying.
I know- Gorilla glued it all night and going to Maiden it today BUT they should provide the Brushless Motor! When you buy through Amazon their Complaint method is Very Effective !! We will see?

I glued it because I bought a spare Shaft/Motor housing with it if needed.
Old May 04, 2015, 03:54 AM
Find More Posts by soulflyer1
United States, TN, Kingsport
Joined May 2015
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
I know- Gorilla glued it all night and going to Maiden it today BUT they should provide the Brushless Motor! When you buy through Amazon their Complaint method is Very Effective !! We will see?

I glued it because I bought a spare Shaft/Motor housing with it if needed.
I have read these forums for years but this will be my first reply. I have been flying for about 7 years and would consider myself intermediate/expert. I have owned over 20 planes and 4 or5 tx/rx systems used.

My question to the above post is.. why would u paint a foam model before u have taken your first test flight? This just seems completely illogical because you would want to test the motor, check all of the screws, clevaces, surfaces, and then a test flight.. All before doing any type of addition or "mod" to the wings or the body.. Just incase you need to return the item. I have had issues with models in every category from most of the top manufacturers. I would consider this a lesson learned. Test before operation or moddification. Also you say the only way they can fix this is to uprgrade you to the brushless kit? This is not correct or economical for the company. If anything they would replace your fuselage so that you have a new motor mount that does not have a crack in the end. I believe overtightening of the motor mount screw caused this crack. The manufacturer would have normally (and they still might) tell you to take it to your local hobby shop. Usually you can get some help there. I would start by calling Ares customer service and not trying to deal with Amazon, unless they will replace the whole kit. You can contact Ares at 18002056773 or [email] customerservice@firelandsgroup.com. They should be more than helpful in replacing the part in question.

The brushed motor is underrated. It serves its purpose or they wouldn't have used it at all. It has plenty power and is quite capable in wind. It is to get someone used to takeoffs and landings, and doing basic maneuvers before upgrading to more power or ailerons. It is worth it to put at least 20 successful flights on the stock brushed motor without breaking a prop or having to fix anything before upgrading anything or adding weight from paint. If you are too quick to add power it can be a recipe for disaster. I hope you call customer service. Let us know what happens. And hello rcgroups.com.
soulflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by soulflyer1
Last edited by soulflyer1; May 04, 2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old May 04, 2015, 04:25 AM
Find More Posts by soulflyer1
United States, TN, Kingsport
Joined May 2015
2 Posts
This is my Gamma 370 story and my 2nd post ever. I have read these forums for years i have just never posted. I was very heavy into flying 2009-2013. I flew everything from acro to 3d to park flyers. I enjoy the peacefulness of a park flyer on a calm afternoon. I had to move for work and couldnt take most of my 14 models, so i ended up selling my collection and getting out of the hobby. I always knew i was an excellent pilot and practiced vigorously via simulator. Then in 2015 the bug hit me again and i desperately wanted back into the hobby. I didnt have any equipment or anything left over so i bought the Ares Gamma 370 RTF edition. After carefully following the instructions and doing my own pre flights tests on screws, clevaces, and other surfaces, read the manual, then i was ready to learn more about the model. So i read this entire thread and watched a few videos before my first flight. I was maybe a little overzealous in wanting to maiden and couldnt wait for a day with less wind. The wind was maybe 6-10mph. I was also flying in a new town and not sure of the best places to fly so i went down to a local middld school. After reading on this forum i had fears about the stock esc/motor, tx/rx losing signal, and breaking prop/bending shafts. Like i said all pre flight tests where perfect. So i was ready to maiden. This time i did not have the help of a simulator. I chose a basketball court (maybe not full size) as my runway and plugged in the battery. All systems go, i throttle up and away she goes, perfectly. First flight lasts 4 to 5 minutes and it was just like riding a bike, i was dancing upside down and enjoying full loops immediately. I decided i needed to practice some landings and started getting nervous about the size of my landing area. First landing in the wind almost perfect. So i taxi around and take off again. Fly for another 2 or 3 minutes on the stock battery with the brushed motor. I decide to practice another landing (one of two small situations), i cut the elevator too much and shoot off the end of the runway and hit grass and prob barely touches fence and breaks.. bends prop shaft. Ok no biggie my fault for landing in the wind on such a small area. It was a $3 fix. New prop, new shaft. Now iam nervous doubting my skills. I go to a local high school and fly over their band and sofball fields. I had reread this thread and searched for any other info i could find about flight characteristics of this plane. I take off (3rd flight) and every thing is perfect once again. Barely even have to trim to get it to fly without touching the sticks. I decide after about a 5 minute flight that i want to practice my landings. I bought a 2nd battery also. I circle around and come in for a long approach, and suddenly (my depth perception was off) i clipped the landing gear in a tree top ripping out the plastic holding it into the fuselage also. The prop breaks from hitting a small branch, i still have elevator and the plane bounces off back out into the open. I glide it down and belly land on the grass. After 10 minutes searching wooded area i find landing gear and plastic battery door. Now iam really nervous and doubting my ability. I glue landing gear back in. I check prop shaft and its still good. Replace prop. A $2 fix. I wait until a calm April afternoon to fly again, very patiently hoping these were fluke situations. I take it back to the middle school but this time i have the entire track to myself. I take off from ground and its flying perfect, barely any trim needed. After 4 to 5 minute flight i want to practice landings. Come around and land so smooth and graceful, perfect no broke prop. I taxi and take off.. 2 to 3 mins later another pefect landing. Yay i made it through a battery without breaking anything. I change batteries, takeoff, 4 to 5 minutes, land perfect. And now iam getting brave and have drawn a crowd and ask a stranger to hand launch it. Perfect launch technique, 2 to 3 minute flight, perfect landing. For those keeping score i am 5 perfect flights (take off/landings).. and 2 where i cause damage. I have started to regain confidence. I got out a few days later same results, 3 from ground take offs, one hand launch, 2 batteries, and 4 perfect landings. I now have over 20 perfect flights and havent broken a prop since my 3rd flight. I have never used a prop saver and dont intend to. I dont trust them in the wind. For a beginner or someone getting back into the hobby i HIGHLY suggest this RTF airplane. I also suggest 20 or so successful flights before modding or upgrading parts. You really want to practice landings. Believe me. Iam ready to upgrade the parts and believe i will have just as a seamless transition as before. Thanks for making a great product that competes with the Horizon hobby stuff.
soulflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by soulflyer1
Last edited by soulflyer1; May 04, 2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old May 04, 2015, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by Hingo
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
165 Posts
Good read. Welcome to rcgroups soulflyer. Your post reminds me of when I started out just over a year ago with this very plane. Had some big stacks and can't say I enjoyed the learning experience until my first proper flights and then I was hooked. I am now flying a PZ T-28 every weekend but it is coming around to winter here and it is time for my Gamma to shine. The Gamma is a nice easy flyer and a beast in the wind. It is the plane I fly when I just want to relax or on the other end of the spectrum, risk it in some crazier conditions.

It needs a good looking over as mine hasn't flown in months but nothing a few new rubber bands won't fix.
Old May 04, 2015, 04:37 PM
Joined Apr 2008
253 Posts
Does the Brushless Motor "Eliminate that Throttle Slow reaction Syndrome?
Old May 05, 2015, 03:51 AM
Find More Posts by Hingo
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2014
165 Posts
Yes it does