SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by Quorneng
Joined Feb 2007
284 Posts
Build Log
Another go at Endurance

Some time ago I posted a build of a 48" Depron built plane that achieve a theoretical endurance of 5 hours.
Name: Allcomplt.JPG
Views: 14
Size: 48.4 KB
Description:
Unfortunately I lost it (quite literally) by flying too high and far away - it thermalled very nicely.
Annoyed at the loss I decided to do it again.
The original design had evolved over quite a number of stages so the challenge was to see if I could do better (or at least duplicate it) but this time starting with what I had learned.
For practical transport reasons I was going to stick with the same 48" span and also the same Blue Wonder 1500kV motor as I have yet to find anything more efficient at that size.
My initial thoughts followed the same principles as before, a pod and boom pusher with a broad chord pylon mounted wing but with some detail improvements.
The proposed wing.
Name: WingPlan.jpg
Views: 8
Size: 27.1 KB
Description:
It would be built with one piece 2mm Depron skins with close spaced Depron ribs to ensure an accurate wing section.
No dihedral but upturned raked wing tips commonly used in moulded foam gliders.
To avoid external horns the inboard edge of each aileron would be glued directly to its servo horn.
Name: AilServo1.JPG
Views: 7
Size: 140.4 KB
Description:
The space available inside the wing meant 3.7g micro servo had to be used but even so the servo would be flush with the wing's underside.
Name: AilShroud.JPG
Views: 7
Size: 151.7 KB
Description:
The round nose aileron was carefully shrouded to keep the air gap to less than 0.5mm.
Name: CompltTop.JPG
Views: 13
Size: 143.8 KB
Description:
A V tail meant very little of the airframe would be in the faster moving prop wash.
With a 5.0 Ah 2s it weighed 15oz.
just need some calm weather to undertake some long enough flights to test the current draw at minimum cruise.
Quorneng is offline Find More Posts by Quorneng
to remove ads between posts